Feeding Birds, Ducks, etc

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
LaMole
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Feeding Birds, Ducks, etc

Post by LaMole » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:12 pm

When is WDW going to start enforcing its rules against this? I've seen it done at resorts as well as certain restaurants such as Flame Tree. It just upsets me when people don't follow simple rules. Just because we choose to eat this food does not mean it should be fed to the animals in this way. I called the front desk when I saw someone doing it at POP and they did nothing. :mad:

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: Feeding Birds, Ducks, etc

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:32 pm

I would never say that feeding the animals people food is a good thing, but I've noticed that a few ducks at Disneyland seem to hang out at the popcorn carts.....

No, not Donald or Daisy.

PapaMouse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PapaMouse » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Nothing wrong with feeding the birds. I feed the birds.

Help control A.D.D., Spank a kids ass.

crystal_crtr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by crystal_crtr » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:18 pm

We fed the birds at MK and at AK. They really love chicken and corn muffins.

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality. Walt Disney[/font]

stefunierocks
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by stefunierocks » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:25 pm

i saw a lot of people feeding them on my last trip.

Its not a big deal until the ducks begin to expect/start taking it out of peoples hands. Which ive seen happen with the squirrels.

it may not be a big deal, but there are signs everywhere saying not to, ntm its in the maps, so out of respect for the rules, i dont.

its the same attitude people have re: taking pics on rides, wearing heelies, and doing things they shouldnt. IM not hurting anyone. I CAN get away with it.

just follow the rules plz

PapaMouse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PapaMouse » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 pm

crystal_crtr wrote:We fed the birds at MK and at AK. They really love chicken and corn muffins.

Well, I wouldn't feed them meat, but bread or fries or chips.

I have never seen any signs that say not to feed the birds. Nothing on ANY of the 4 park maps I have. Plenty about Smoking areas, Safety, Banking, ect, but nothing about not feeding the birds. In fact. wasn't it Disney that said

FEED THE BIRDS
TOPINS A BAG.

LaMole wrote:When is WDW going to start enforcing its rules against this? I've seen it done at resorts as well as certain restaurants such as Flame Tree. It just upsets me when people don't follow simple rules. Just because we choose to eat this food does not mean it should be fed to the animals in this way. I called the front desk when I saw someone doing it at POP and they did nothing. :mad:

BTW I wanted to add. IMO a guest like you that has nothing better to do then try and ruin someone else's enjoyment, maybe you should stay home. They were feeding the birds. Not like they were trying to cut in line, get their child that's too short onto a ride, or anything else that' son this site that are actualy worth reporting to a CM.

Help control A.D.D., Spank a kids ass.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:40 am

My thinking is they probably don't want guests feeding the birds because anything the birds don't eat becomes litter and then what they do eat becomes bird poop. And as with anything else that happens at Disney theme parks/resorts, a bird pooping on a guest's head is automatically Disney's fault.

That said, feeding birds can be fun - there's a place near my home where it's actually encouraged.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:48 am

SRT_GB wrote:My thinking is they probably don't want guests feeding the birds because anything the birds don't eat becomes litter and then what they do eat becomes bird poop. And as with anything else that happens at Disney theme parks/resorts, a bird pooping on a guest's head is automatically Disney's fault.
Can someone give me the location of the Bird-Poop Department? I got splattered by a seagull at Sea World one year, and guess what, THEY don't have one! :eek: :rolleyes: :D:

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:16 am

SeaWorld has killer seagulls. Here is a list of problems with feeding the birds or animals.

The animals get used to humans and loose a bit of their wild nature and fear of man. They can become dependent on the easy life and start begging for food, The seagulls in SeaWorld will steal food from your tray while you are dining. Do not get up for a second as when you are not looking they steal. They can also become scavengers and get into rubbish that can kill them.

Carnivores like herons are used to eating meat and bits of vegetation. They are not used to flour, lard, chemicals and other crap in the food. They get food but not the proper nutrients from a diet mainly of fish. Animals will eat anything even if it is not good for them.

Some foods contain meat in them like biscuits and bread especially hamburger buns full of mayo. There is the unnatural grease, chemicals, sugar, and salt.

Littering and hygiene. There goes a greasy bit of chicken or fries onto the floor. The bread crumbs are tiny and not seen to the eye but to ants are lunch time snacks. There is the dirty ground and the risk of patrons slipping on the food. Pigeons poop when their body is full of poop even if it is inside a building, patio, or while flying. Flocks of birds means more poop which can do serious damage to paint.

Go to SeaWorld in California and face the killer seagulls.

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:32 am

SRT_GB wrote:My thinking is they probably don't want guests feeding the birds because anything the birds don't eat becomes litter and then what they do eat becomes bird poop. And as with anything else that happens at Disney theme parks/resorts, a bird pooping on a guest's head is automatically Disney's fault.
So if guests didn't feed the birds, the birds don't poop ?