How did you know?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
EmptyCinema
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

How did you know?

Post by EmptyCinema » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:24 am

For those of you who are CMs: how did you know you wanted to be a CM? I know it's not necessarily a "life calling", but those of you who are Lifers are clearly NOT doing it for the awesome pay (unless there's something I'm not being told).

Every time I return from the World, I wish I could be part of making the magic for others... I know it's not easy, but it looks as fun to work there as to be a guest there. On the other hand, I also enjoy what I'm working on my degree for (Computer Science).

I guess I'm beginning to wonder what would be more satisfying. Thoughts? :)

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: How did you know?

Post by Zazu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:56 pm

EmptyCinema wrote:For those of you who are CMs: how did you know you wanted to be a CM?
That's not how it worked for me. I never did think, "I want to be a CM." But one day I realized, "I *need* to be a CM."

I don't know if it was when I realized after ten months that retirement and I were not made for one another, or if it was when a CM stopped me on Main Street to ask me where the nearest restroom was. :confused: Yeah, confused me too, but then I realized I could name the location and relative cleanliness of every restroom in the Park. (And this was *before* I discovered the web site for "The Happiest Potties on Earth"!)
Every time I return from the World, I wish I could be part of making the magic for others...
Believe it or not, this is *exactly* the attitude that makes for a great CM -- wanting to create magic for others. If you love doing that and are willing to sacrifice salary, comfort, maybe a little dignity, and to endure the sort of SGs you've read about here, then you're right for the role.
... it looks as fun to work there as to be a guest there. On the other hand, I also enjoy what I'm working on my degree for (Computer Science).

I guess I'm beginning to wonder what would be more satisfying. Thoughts?
Overall, you'd probably be more satisfied by finishing your degree and getting a good enough job you could afford to visit Disney as a guest frequently.

OTOH, if that urge to create magic is stronger than your instinct for self-preservation, then Come On Down! :flyingfai

(Tinkerbell was booked, so the Union sent her.)

Zazu

Floridian
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Floridian » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:09 am

Well my reasons are probably a little bit differnt than most of the people here. I don't think I count as a lifer because I know I probaly won't be a CM for more than another year or two...although I have every intention of staying in this industry. I am more excited about working for the Disney company than the being in the parks, first job wasn't even in the parks. I am young right now and not totally sure what I want to be doing with the rest of my life, working for Disney I have the opportunity to try many differnt things within the same company. Wow I think I sounded just like someone of one of those videos they have you watch during traditions lol. Actually as much as I love my current location I am once again considering a transfer. I don't think this makes me less of a magic making CM but I have differnt motivation than a lot of the people here.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:33 am

Zazu wrote:and are willing to sacrifice salary, comfort, maybe a little dignity
Pfffft. A little... Not on my bus!

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:36 am

I did not come to Fl to be a CM however being able to visit WDW did play a small part.

I became a CM based upon a suggestion of another bus driver while I was going from AKL to MK on an empty bus and we had time to chat. Now it's a matter of attempting to survive until a real job comes thru.

Now...... I love my job and the interaction I have with guests. I plan on keeping it when I find real full time employment.

Gee Wiz, the MiM's boxes were down on both of my buses ( No, I did not do anything to them) and I was back in my glory and I did not have to "work around" the box. The guests loved it, many commenting on what a great ride they had and how they wished more drivers would play with them.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:36 am

Cranbiz wrote:No, I did not do anything to them

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Cranbiz
No, I did not do anything to them

Big Wallaby wrote:Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
The real trick is to learn how to make :wirecutr: marks look like (wild) rodent damage. :twisted:

Randy

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:12 am

I always wanted to be a CM but was too fat (size 14 limit) to work at parks and later my record too bad and health not so good.

Wallaby you need to learn how to short circuit mims with an accidental spilled guest drink.

EmptyCinema
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EmptyCinema » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:59 am

I sometimes wonder how satisfying it would be to work behind the scenes (off-stage or whatever) in the IT department or something similar... I really would regret the lack of guest interaction, but at least I'd be using my degree. I can't deny that the whole salary thing does play a role in my thoughts on the matter.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:24 am

Randy B wrote:The real trick is to learn how to make :wirecutr: marks look like (wild) rodent damage. :twisted:
Hey, there are mice loose in the parks!!! :mickey2: :minnie: :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter