Banana Ball! (CM/ex-CM party!)

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:05 pm

No - I was over on the Eastside. I wanted to go to the West - I always wanted to work Mansion & Pirates; but I was firmly planted in Tomorrowland. Some people at WDI pulled some strings for me to get me transferred from foods to attractions in 1990. It's a long story, but it was well after the transfer period ended, and Tomorrowland was basically my only choice.

They did train me on canoes. I don't know what happened - I thought I passed the training, but I never saw it again...

The "guerilla filmaking" did continue after the banana balls ended. On the eastside, there was a guy named Steve (quit a decade or so ago) who made these great films, and was clever enough to use some great special effects. My favorite was "The Rexorcist" - a trailer for the Exorcist using shots of the Star Tours characters, all in perfect synch!

I also saw a video the character dept people made. I think it was called "Captain Eeyore." It was the sound track from Eo mimed to by the costumed characters. They were real afraid of getting in trouble since they had 2 people dressed in the same character costume (on camera at the same time), representing the evil guards.

I'm sorry - I tend to ramble...

...hence the "100 Posts" brand... :roll:

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:30 pm

Steve F? Friendly Indians Steve???? I love that guy!!! He was a riot to work for whenever he'd be pest-control lead. He also did a movie with biker guys on Harleys who go into this nasty bar and then get into a fencing duel (rather than the standard barroom brawl)!!! And a former Manager/Supervisor/Lead, Jerry W got a script deal with Universal Studios to write 5 movies. He works in the film department at USC now. I was in his movie Operator:2, which was a spoof of Terminator 2. The premise of the movie was that the ETS becomes so powerful in the future it figures out it doesn't need cast members (it can even explain baby-switches) so it's sending out drones to kill all the cast members. A terminator goes to the past (our present) to try to prevent some security cast members (Disney Vice) from destroying the current ETS. The scene where the terminator arrives in Anaheim was priceless - he was young Tom from the Westside, showing up nude (shot from the waist up!!!) in front of the old marquee while it's flashing "LIVE - XXX-NUDE - XXX DWARF WRESTLING" I showed it at a party here at home...hehehe...Jerry actually got permission from corporate to shoot on location in the park with us in costume as long as the film was never distributed publicly or to a broadcast outlet. It's just as well - it's only funny if you work/ed at Disneyland. For instance, Kimmie the old NO/CC scheduler slamming the phone down in one scene after someone calls in sick...if you weren't there in a certain time or place, you wouldn't get it... I don't know how Jerry did it, but he had another scene with Nick S in the Splash control tower reading the sports section and if you look closely at the ride monitors, every one of them is showing a different sporting event. At the same time, if you look through the glass, there's a pizza delivery guy (box included) rappelling down the rock wall to the ride station...Jerry is so kewl!!!

And yeah, I know whatcha mean about rambling - since I'm a groupie myself :oops:

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:30 pm

No, different guy. Steve L from the eastside.

I was in a Jerry W film - early '90s. Never saw the end result, but I was in a shot at Big Thunder (that had a Lotto banner on it) and a group shot in the exit area of Jungle.

If it's the same film, Jerry had me dress up as an RO on Thunder. And I was the only one who did dress as a CM, so I had a line (but don't know if I made the final cut).

I think my line was grouping someone at Thunder or something...

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:44 pm

Dante101 wrote: I was in a Jerry W film - early '90s. Never saw the end result, but I was in a shot at Big Thunder (that had a Lotto banner on it) and a group shot in the exit area of Jungle.
That's it - that's Operator:2!!! He had a section where the Terminator shape shifted into Ann, one of the Thunder A leads, and offscreen, she beats up a guest who was whining about something for her bratty kid...

Think there was a shot of someone dressed like the Energizer Bunny on the Thunder load dock as well...

You have to see the finished result - it's well worth it for the giant 20 ft. Bo-Bo (old canoe A lead) in the final five minutes. I'm in one of the early scenes, in a Pirate costume over at Thunder radioing for help from reinforcements because the drones are killing all our remaining R.O.'s. There's also a cute shot of tour guides preparing for battle (SuB is one of them!). My husband, one other gal and I are also in a shot in the very beginning of the movie running for our lives through the portal of Sleeping Beauty's Castle. We had the best time doing that movie - why not stay up until all hours skewering the company's beloved computer system (legally!!!). Actually, I think Jerry came up with the concept not too long after the ETS was installed...one of those "what if" moments...

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:37 pm

All this talk about movies and such. makes me remember the one I made. It was a spoof of Blair Witch done by Polar and myself. 4 of us went to DL and never came back. It's not the best but it was pretty good since we did it on a whim and improved the whole thing. It even has a gruesome StupidGuestTrick told in it. I wish I could show it but it gives Polars Identity away too easily.

If you guys are willing to share any of these home made movies please Let me know either by way of PM or e-mail. I would love to post them for everyone to see. Try and make sure you get permission from those involved if possible.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:01 am

Yeah, a lot of the current management used to be cast members in the days when they could get away with a lot of sh*t. Know, they know what to look out for - they know your mind. I'll stop short of saying "it's all been done before," but most of it has, and they remember - so they head it off at the pass...

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:23 pm

CujoSR wrote:If you guys are willing to share any of these home made movies please Let me know either by way of PM or e-mail. I would love to post them for everyone to see. Try and make sure you get permission from those involved if possible.
I know that no additional copies of O:2 are allowed to be made by people other than Jerry. I had to swear an oath that I wouldn't make a copy in order to obtain my own, and he told me that they had encoded the videos in a way that only turned up on later generations that would isolate where the copy came from. His contact info is on Hasbeens...

VonSeegs
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Location: RRods, Space, Tours/Astro, Matterhorn, Mansion, Pirates and Classics East

Post by VonSeegs » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:23 pm

You guys are cool! God I wish things were still like that! :bang:

Vance likes ham.

iridium130
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by iridium130 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:30 am

well I bought my tickets!

I'll try to bring a camera and take some pics :D