Acronyms, Codes, and Other Terms

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Acronyms, Codes, and Other Terms

Post by Zazu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 am

hobie16 wrote:
YANXWIN wrote:10-96 is my favorite.
How do you identify one? Is it the telltale smock with no butt covering?
Anyone who pays $17 to park and $105 to walk through the turnstiles is suspect.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:45 am

I'm kind of curious about the usefulness of 10-3. If someone is transmitting, how would they hear a request to stop?

mattdbower
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: WDW
Department: Transportation
Position: Watercraft Operator

Post by mattdbower » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:11 am

A very good point you have there. That reminds me of a similar dilemma we occasionally had. We had two types of radios at the railroad: small local "train radios" and park-wide "800 radios." We used the train radios to communicate between the engineer/fireman, the onboard conductor(s), the platform conductor, and the crossing guard. We pretty much only used the 800 radios to listen for weather updates or in the event of an emergency situation to call park rescue. (Because Stone Mountain is a state park, we have our own real police department.) As a part of our departure procedure, the platform conductor would have to close a pedestrian RR crossing gate that was situated directly behind the train in case the train were to roll backwards into the crossing (which occasionally happens as the station is on a slight incline). We would then call the onboard conductor to inform them that the crossing was clear and gates were locked. Unfortunately, sometimes the platform conductors would go on break and forget that their train radio was clipped to their belt. Also unfortunately, the cafeteria was out of the range of the smaller train radios. At this point we would have to give a hand signal to the onboard conductor, then make a call over the 800 radio to basically the whole park asking whoever walked off with the radio to please return it. :oweye:

Please note: Any views and/or opinions in this post not directly quoted from a valid source represent my own views and/or opinions and not necessarily those of any other individual or entity.