How long?

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
goose
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by goose » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:12 am

It always amuses me when a guest comes up to me while I'm on a cart and asks me how long the line for Haunted Mansion is. It never occurs to them to ask the girl in the green outfit standing right by the gate about the line. I can't see the stand-by time from where I'm standing and I'm pretty sure she could answer all their Mansion questions. I dunno know. Maybe people ask her how much churros cost.

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:58 am

This was off topic so a made it it's own thread.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:17 am

goose wrote: It never occurs to them to ask the girl in the green outfit standing right by the gate about the line.

naaaaahhhhhh...by the time they get to us girls in the ugly green dresses, the only thing coming out of their mouths (on a 95+ day) is "aren't you hot?" Of course the only logical reply is "not unless I think about it or someone reminds me about it..."

Morrigoon
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Morrigoon » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:13 am

I love it when we're 101, and we announce (loudly) out front that we're currently broken and do not know how long it will take to fix. Immediately guests will come up and ask us how long till we're open. "When they fix the problem." "How long will that take?" "As long as it takes to fix whatever it is that needs fixing." "Oh, is it something major?" "I don't know" (what do I look like, a mechanic? I'm hundreds of feet away, and outside, far from where the real action is, deep within the bowels of my attraction. Yet somehow, you think I a)can diagnose the problem, and b)know exactly how long it will take them to fix it.

There are no stupid questions.... only stupid guests.

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:56 am

"Hang on one moment, sir, I will check on the current status of repair work."
[Place two fingers on each temple, close eyes for about 10 seconds]
"Oh, I'm sorry sir, it doesn't look good. I'd check back in a little while if I were you."

Now, the real question is, what percentage of guests would just say "Okay, thanks." and walk away, and what percentage would get that you were mocking their stupidity? I'm betting about 70/30

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:54 pm

I used to love it how management would tell us not to say the ride is "broken." I forget what they wanted us to say, but it was someting like, "the attraction is not running at the moment, please check back later today."

But when you say it like that, the guests still creep closer to you (like a pack of zombies) and ask:

-why isn't it running?
-is this normal that it's not running?
-when is it scheduled to open?
etc. etc...

I tried that a few times at first, when I was newer, but it was obvious that when you're in front of a major attraction like Space, and you have herds of crowds coming at you constantly, you need to say in a loud voice, "Space Mountain has broken down - we're not sure if or when we'll be opening back up!"

That statement would make the guests immediately leave, as it was self-explanitory - they understood what I meant, as opposed to "not running at the moment," which could mean any number of things.

The newer CMs stationed with me would often give me a dirty look at first, but when they saw how effective it was, they soon did the same thing. Otherwise, you get so many people crowding around you, they'd actually start forming a line, thinking the ride was open, and the crowd was the queue!

Hmmm... did I have a point to make, or was I just rambling.... :roll:

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:53 pm

Dante101 wrote: "Space Mountain has broken down - we're not sure if or when we'll be opening back up!"
There's just no easy way. Heaven forbid you say the ride is broken (which they have been at times. I've seen axles disintigrate in stations, leading to 8 hour 101's)...but then again if you just say "the ride is down" some idiot will suggest feeding it Prozac... :roll:

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:01 pm

I had a guest ask me once. "Is Screaming over California open?" No that is not a typo. Of course I thought well both rides should be open so I said Yes. Just my luck it was Screamin' they wanted to ride and it was broken (big suprise). and they came back to complain. Oh well "it" happens.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:02 pm

CujoSR wrote:.......Just my luck it was Screamin' they wanted to ride and it was broken (big suprise)........
Amazingly, any time I was at DCA, I never saw Screamin down.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

goose
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by goose » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:13 pm

Cujo, what's your avatar picture? I can't tell what it is. :?