Walt's Ghost in the Haunted Mansion (movie)

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:17 pm

Dante101 wrote:I just wanted a ride where you could walk around and explore the sets.
Oh we had the best time over at the big house...and before there were
cameras in the ride, we used to have a utility position (only during high
attendance times) where someone would be inside the ride with a two
way radio (along with the remote to stop the ride in case of emergency).
I used to love working utility on hot summer days - mostly because it got
me out of the hot sun in that nasty polyester dress...lol. Utility was
mostly to fetch lost items, and stop people from blinding everyone else
by taking flash pictures or throwing sourballs at the animation, but there
were so many times we caught people doing drugs in the ride along with
a lot of other forbidden stuff. Sometimes it was fun just to sit someplace
quietly, then get up and move and scare the daylights out of the guests
who thought we were part of the ride. What was always the best was
summers when Tim S was the A lead - we'd have "Gone with the Wind"
days for the Mansion's anniversary, and have a southern potluck in the
service area. (We did that because of the exteriors Antibellum
theming). Tim would have the movie soundtrack playing, we'd have
posters, books, flags - you name it and we'd pick a character (I'd
usually be Scarlett) and stay in character all day and just have a great
time in general. If that fell on my day off, I'd come in anyway with food
just because we had such a blast. We had the coolest crew there - Tim,
William, Bob, Karen, Margaret, Carlos, Diane, Michelle, brother Ron,
racer Dave, Carmen, the Guido brothers (!), Ian (always hiding and
scaring the daylights out of anyone and everyone) - ME - along with the
other people who rotated in and out. I really miss that crew more than
any other cohesive group at the park... Yeah, the sets were cool, but an
attraction is only as cool as the people you work with :D

VonSeegs
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Location: RRods, Space, Tours/Astro, Matterhorn, Mansion, Pirates and Classics East

Post by VonSeegs » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:24 pm

I swear I wish things were still like that. I've known the ghost house for
about a year now and there are so many cool things you can do while
working there but everyone is so afraid of getting in trouble that you
can't get in a decent practical joke without getting a dang written for it
because you hurt someone's feelings. My take on it? If someone thought
you were good enough to spend time planning and scheming on then you
should be flattered. I've gotten in trouble for practical jokes at Space
before so I'm sure with the NOCC management I'd get fired. It's not like
I hurt anyone. I hate having to babysit these kids.

P.S. Diane is RAD!!!

P.P.S. And it does kinda look like Walt now that you metion it but my first
reaction was one of the busts in the graveyard. (Just as long as the bride
isn't in there. She scares the b'geezes out of me!!! I hate walking through
the attic because of her!)

Vance likes ham.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:16 pm

VonSeegs wrote:Just as long as the bride isn't in there. She scares the b'geezes out of
me!!! I hate walking through the attic because of her!
I posted something on another thread, but I swear there is something
evil in the attic, not right at the bride, but on the other side of the track
under the mobile of flying bats. I used to get the heebie-jeebies
everytime I had to walk through that spot. At closing time, if I was
assigned to make sure the ride was clear and put up the fence in the
graveyard, I'd run through that spot. You can't see it - you can only feel
it's presence.

Thatguy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Thatguy » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:38 am

A few of my "sensitive" friends (I use the quotes not in disbelief, but to show the meaning) always had trouble walking through the attic... personally I riding it always had trouble when riding past the open trunk on the left hand side shortly after eneteing the attic (pretty much the first thing on that side)

"How many people woke up this morning saying 'I have to do the Jungle Cruise?' yeah, me too, I sat on the edge of my bed crying for half an hour."

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:41 pm

I worked at the Big House from 89 until I quit in 95. I'd worked in Merchandise prior to that from 84 to 88 and was a hat decorator and merch lead as well. We had a cool area manager (Rory) who'd worked his way up from an hourly position like the rest of us, and he wasn't too concerned about practical jokes as long as they didn't happen in front of the guests. He understood what it was like to be on a late night shift in attractions with nothing going on and no guests to take care of...my other favorite poobah over there was Bob R, who was the most senior of our area supervisors. He'd been an r.o. as well, had gotten behind in promotions compared to some other weasles who took advantage of the strike in 84 and crossed the picket lines. The thing about the bosses who came up through the ranks like everyone used to, was that they had a sense of humor about stuff - as long as you performed as expected for the guests, they understood that "stuff happens..." I remember Bob and this intern, Harlotte (long story) laughing as they were running from ride to ride one night chasing after these girls that were flashing all the security cameras. They figured they must have been former employees because they knew where every camera was - but of course, no one working a tower could describe their faces. All the supervisors wanted to do was get the girls out before some family from Iowa was shocked by this behavior (this was probably 15 years ago - long before girls gone wild) - they were on a mission, but they still thought it was damn funny. There was this other intern who ended up getting fired, but he was the laughing stock of the supervisors because he got hit by some guests over by the Hungry Bear (not badly, and he was trying to confiscate some pot from a couple of biker types on his own) - but they were making fun of him because he was such a big baby on the radio transmissions. Some guys in security started saying that he was mugged by girl scouts. What I remember the most is that Rory would walk around on Christmas day, shake your hand and thank you for working on a day when you really should have been with your family. He was cool like that. He used to call me trouble, mainly because I couldn't resist popping my mouth off at guests who were mean to me (I was a problem child like that) but he knew I never mouthed off to anyone unless I was seriously provoked. I doubt that any managers would be like that today...