What part of "We're closed" do you not understand?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

What part of "We're closed" do you not understand?

Post by hhsrat » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:33 pm

I work at an attraction that closes at 7pm. It's posted in the attraction signage, as well as being listed on the times guide. Most people that come up after 7, especially within the first 5 minutes of closing will grumble a little, then wander off on their merry little way. Not this one.

It's about 7:20, and I'm making one last circuit of the attraction area as part of my closing procedures. I happen to walk by the greeter position just as someone is walking up, GAC ("use wheelchair entrance," no party members in WC) in hand.

Me: "Sorry, we closed at 7"

SG: "But I've got this (waves GAC in my face) and we just couldn't make it"
Me: "I'm sorry, we've been closed for 20 minutes"
SG: "But surely there must be a few folks left in line"

(I step to the side, point to the completely empty queue behind me)

Me: "Ma'am, as you can see, there is nobody left in line"
SG: "Well, can't you make an exception?" (waves GAC in my face again)
Me: "I'm very sorry, but we do close at 7, it is posted, and at the moment, my cast members are finishing their closing procedures and getting ready to leave for the evening"
SG: "but ... but ..."
Me: "I'm sorry, we are closed"

I feel sorry for the child she had with her.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: What part of "We're closed" do you not understand?

Post by BirdMom » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:48 pm

hhsrat wrote:I feel sorry for the child she had with her.
This sounds suspiciously close to the sort of guests who insist on lingering in the Main Steet stores and restaurants as late as possible after a midnight closing time, then amble out the front at close to 1:30 a.m. innocently saying, "oh are we the last ones out?" - all the while KNOWING damn well that the poor cast members can't go home until they get their asses out of the street, let alone park.
:mad:

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:50 pm

I see it every night when closing HISTA, I clocked out and on my way to Harbor Pointe, I STILL see guests walking towards Space Mountain as if they believe that it is still open, it's around 25 minutes past closing, mind you, and I yell out, "Sorry, folks, Space Mountain is CLOSED with the rest of the park!!"

I guess they don't know what "CLOSED" means. I think they think that the rides are open 24 hours a day, like 7 Eleven!!

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:42 pm

Not only do they affect the Main St CM's, they affect the Transportation CM's, etc. We keep 18+ buses at MK awaiting the last SG to leave. We cannot leave until MK is clear.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Yeah, I worked in merchandise my first CP, and I almost always closed. That was always fun. And then I was a character attendant my 2nd CP. I can't count the number of times the line was closed and the parent would argue "oh just one more". Sorry, but we're closed. We either will be back at this time, or unfortunately we have to leave. Sorry. I actually was reported once by a guest because she came up at the last second to see Peter Pan and Wendy, and the line had been closed for a few minutes.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:33 pm

I used to 'love' this part of my job. A couple comes up up to the door 20mins AFTER we close,I very politely tell them " I'm sorry folks,but we closed 1/2hr ago" (now it starts) "We drove 90 miles to go shopping". Of course I'm thinking "Too bad for you". :D:
The part I can't figure out is,why in the F would you go shopping @ 9:00 @ night???? :confused:

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:05 pm

darph nader wrote:I used to 'love' this part of my job. A couple comes up up to the door 20mins AFTER we close,I very politely tell them " I'm sorry folks,but we closed 1/2hr ago" (now it starts) "We drove 90 miles to go shopping". Of course I'm thinking "Too bad for you". :D:
The part I can't figure out is,why in the F would you go shopping @ 9:00 @ night???? :confused:
The thing that gets me is that they had a WHOLE day to go shopping and go on rides and they wait until the last minute when the park is closed to go on it??

Attractions:

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:32 am

Some guests will take advice, information and help from other guests but others refuse to listen to other guests. Most people will thank you if you say "Excuse me, the next show is in 45 minutes." but some will find a CM and verify that the show is closed.

They remind me of the Marshall's store advertisement where the lady is banging on the glass "open open open open".

I have seen people trying to get into stores from other doors. If you cannot get in from the south door then try the north doors as maybe a CM will let you in. There are the lies about family in the store, returning stuff they bought, and just a quick peak, please.

I would love to be in the park when they drain a ride. Yeah, they are going to use skateboards on Spash Mountain. Some guests would believe that.

Does anyone else hear guests who get mad because on THEIR vacation the park closed their favorite rides. It almost sounds like there is an evil plot against them whereby road blocks are thrown in front of them. It is like somebody in Disney hates them and on purpose closes the shops early. I am sorry but when wind gusts hit 45 mph then they have to close fantasmic, fireworks and some rides. I am sorry but when lightening is eminent some tall WDW attractions have to close as they are a big target.

After saying that but please let use ride.

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:58 am

mechurchlady wrote:They remind me of the Marshall's store advertisement where the lady is banging on the glass "open open open open".
Hahaha, I remember that commercial, "open, open, open, HI BOB!!"

They expect to believe that it will open ANY faster, geez! :rolleyes:

Oh, who can forget, "I drove/ travelled/ flew xxx miles to ride THIS ride!" As someone said, if someone travelled that for for just ONE ride, then they got ripped off!! :p:

Attractions:

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:18 am

What's even funnier than guests not knowing (or lying about not knowing) you're closed is when they don't know you're open. Case in point:

Guests walk right by Philharmagic greeter. Look at the "show times"... the fastpass distribution clock... and go "their not open" and walk on by, even though they see quests entering the queue. Or they think they need to get the fastpass ticket to enter the show.

A little OT: What is it with the question "where do I go" at a queue? Do guests really not see the people in front of them and think that they should probably follow them? I had people wonder where to go at philhar greeter... I was like "Go through the doors like everyone else?" :confused:

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?