Y you not like Maynard?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Y you not like Maynard?

Post by CujoSR » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:49 pm

I have been noticing some discontent from some of our former cast members about Maynard.

(See attached thread)

Now I am not sure why you guys don't like him, but I happen to love his act. I get a kick out of it everytime I see it. Although I did get the chance to invite him to this site, he didn't accept because he thought we were degrading guests. I guess my description of the site wasn't too clear. Either way I still search him out. What is your problem with him might I ask?

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:10 pm

Manyard's the one that would say on The Mansion "Like a Haunted bowl of mashed potatoes: squishy squishy." Right? That guy's cool

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:16 pm

I believe it's properly spelled "squishysquishysquishy".

Anyway, I've only worked with Maynard at Fantasmic! (only during island setup/takedown, he was never in my section) and a grad night (and only then for a couple minutes), so I can't say for sure.

I wonder if Maynard makes some cast members feel (to use a baseball analogy) like the hitter after the guy who gets walked intentionally. So many guests idolize Maynard, I suspect people who work with him kind of invisible, with such an attention-hog around. I know I probably would. On top of that, I've heard rumors that he solicits compliments, which probably bugs a lot of people who feel they're too honest to do that (which I agree with... asking people to compliment you isn't cool). I'm sure one of the GR people can confirm or deny that one.

All the times I've worked with him, he's been incredibly quiet. I think I've heard maybe two or three words out of him that weren't task-related (stuff like "where's the cart?"), so either it's a huge act or he spends so much energy on guests he just wants some quiet time to himself when he's not around them :)

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:48 am

Maynard's like your annoying little brother. You just wanna slap him and say "damn, just calm down!"

He really should be in Entertainment, not Attractions. Attraction cast members are there to do a job - to run the ride safely and effeciently.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:55 pm

Dante101 wrote:He really should be in Entertainment, not Attractions. Attraction cast members are there to do a job - to run the ride safely and effeciently.
This is exactly why Maynard got on my nerves. He was hired as an attractions c.m., not for the entertainment division. I don't know if he's a frustrated former actor or what, but when you hear about supervision telling c.m.'s that they are not the show itself, then Maynard pretends to be the show it gets really annoying. Yeah, I wanted to slap him more than once. I'd never heard about soliciting compliments - maybe he started that after I quit, but that is bogus in my book. Most of the guests don't bother to compliment someone unless they go above and beyond the call of duty (God knows, I got handed cash as tips a few times in attractions and I kept it!) but to actually tell the guests to go to City Hall and recommend him is low. I guess one of the reasons I was bugged was because I had so many friends in atmoshpere entertainment before the big purges in the early 90's. I remember one guy in particular, Gary, aka Farley the Fiddler. His wife had just had a baby, and they had bought a new house when he got laid off. That really sucked for him, along with a lot of the other musicians on the west side. That the park would lay off the professionals (they got rid of the original Horseshoe review because they didn't want to pay benefits the size they were paying to Fulton and Betty who'd been there since the 50's) and allow hourly employees to "entertain" is an insult to professional artists in my book. :evil:

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:43 am

Heh... someone gave me a $5 tip once after I saved him like $50 on his family's tickets (I tried to say 'no thanks' but he walked away). I was honest and turned it in to the manager. Next day there was a largish bag of candy inside my locked cash drawer sitting right on top of the money pouch ;)

(Yes, I shared with the rest of the booth ;) )

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:06 am

I don't think you're supposed to turn in a tip to your manager. What I was told in Orientation, was you're supposed to kindly refuse a tip, but if they insist, you could keep it.

I think your manager probably used it to buy that candy, since it probably would have been a headache for him to do anything else with it. Probably would have had to fill out a bunch of forms at Cash Control in order to turn it in!

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:37 am

Gee, yah think?

Actually, we were told very specifically in my department (with Janice S for those who know her) training back in 2001 that we should try to refuse it politely but if they insist or walk away we should turn it in to a lead or manager and that you could get written up for keeping it. I don't know if that's still policy, of course, but it's what I was told.

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:06 pm

That's insane! You turn in "lost and found" items, not tips. A tip is a gift expressly for you from the guest - they can't give you a written or anything else for not turning it in. I'd go to the union and get that shit cleared up! I worked in Tomorrowland Foods and Tomorrowland Attractions, and that wasn't the policy in either. Someone either lied to you or just plain gave you bum advice...

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:39 pm

Do I really care that much? No.