Leave my video games alone!

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Leave my video games alone!

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:59 am

Prince of Persia Movie Should Be Disney's 2008 Hit
Playfuls.com

Not a year went by after Ubisoft resurrected Jordan Mechner's classic Prince of Persia franchise, and someone in Hollywood already jumped on the prospect of making a film based on the Sands of Time game. This was back in 2004, and that "someone" was - and still is - Jerry Bruckheimer, whose credentials as film producer are impressive to say the least. Not much has been heard about the "Prince of Persia" movie since then, other than it would be released by Disney, and that last year Jeffrey Nachmanoff ("The Day After Tomorrow") was hired to write the script.
Fast forward to present day, and we finally have another tiny bit of news about the Prince's upcoming cinematographical debut. The buzz was started yesterday by the Jim Hill Media blog, whose story "The Walt Disney Company embraces the "F" Word" (as in "franchise") bears a striking mention of the PoP movie:

"Walt Disney Pictures - in conjunction with Jerry Bruckheimer Films - is now gearing up to put a "Prince of Persia" movie into production. Because it's thought that a film based on this hugely popular series of Ubisoft Entertainment games (Which - in theory - will be Disney's big action-adventure release for the Summer of 2008) could then lead to a new hit series of movies for the studio."

Sounds to me like someone is trying to find a long-term cash-printing replacement to the Pirates of the Carribean "trilogy" that ends this summer. Not that I have a problem with this, no sir! They could even re-cast Johnny Depp as the Prince, for all I care. That should be... interesting.

So, does this mean that EVERY single Disney movie has potential to be a :shudder: franchise? I'm over it. :mad:

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Leave my video games alone!

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:04 am

LittleDollClaudia wrote:So, does this mean that EVERY single Disney movie has potential to be a :shudder: franchise? I'm over it. :mad:
Sure does sound as if this will be their goal LDC. Disney is grasping big time! Almost have no other choice after the money making 50th, & now the low revenue with little interest in YMD. :o:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

brad
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by brad » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:44 am

it's icing on the cake. you just wait til disney makes box office history with the Jungle Cruise movie and continues on with the ride-to-film collection with The Enchanted Tiki Room which already has a direct-to-video sequel begging to happen thanks to ...Under New Management.

I for one smell a hugely successfully limited-time-only box set coming out just in time for Christmas 2012 (minus POTC). I just feel sorry for the poor folks who will have to maintain a near-empty Disney Vault.

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Funny thing about that vault. If they were to finally release 1, just 1 movie onto DVD, the dollars would pour in. To which movie am I referring? SONG OF THE SOUTH! A movie that has a very successful attraction and hardly any child living today has seen. Yes, it's controversial (now) but damn it I would line up for that uncut special edition.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

brad
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by brad » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:48 pm

well, as i'm sure you know, you can get it other ways. i know someone who recently did and let me borrow it to watch it. i don't honestly remember specifics, but there were a few things i could see being viewed as 'racist,' but in the grand scheme of things, it didn't seem like anything that had to be hidden away.

they did release a new Br'er Rabbit DVD though either last year or 2005. supposed to be pretty good, but I've yet to hear anyone refer to Splash Mountain as Br'er Rabbit's ride.

the Jungle Cruise movie is major suckage though. The Haunted Mansion 2 has its work cut out for it.

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:51 pm

I, for one, am interested in seeing what comes of the Prince of Persia games-to-movies. People said Pirates would be horrible. With Bruckheimer behind the wheel apparently, this is a sure fire win. If they do it like the games, I can't wait until part two, I would die to see the Dahaka chases.

Mansion 2, OK, let it happen, but put the new bride in there. I'm sorry, but that girl is f'n PSYCO!

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

AlpineDL
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by AlpineDL » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:15 pm

There already is a Jungle Cruise movie. Bogart did it in 1951. ;)

But seriously, I think Prince of Persia could be a cool new twist in swashbuckling movie settings. Not everything has to be as bad as the Street Fighter movie just cause it's coming from a game, it just happens that pretty much every game to movie transition has been handled with incompetence.

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:52 am

IndyandMarion wrote:
Mansion 2, OK, let it happen, but put the new bride in there. I'm sorry, but that girl is f'n PSYCO!

Well, I get to be the unpopular one again and say I don't like the change at all. It throws off what most people (my fiancee and myself included) remember as the story we grew up with. Hell, even that pathetic excuse for a movie followed that. If I can't believe in the Mansion, what is there?

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:58 am

Hey check these out

New Pirates 3 poster

Concept for PRINCE OF PERSIA

Narnia Poster I dont care about

Pixar's Next: Wall E (Main character looks cute, I'm sorry)

Toy Story 3 (AWESOME. Wait, it's not out until 2011? DAMN!)

We know Pirates will be awesome. I'll hold judgement on PoP until casting.

BUT National Treasure 2. . . I'm all ready waiting in line.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19143

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:11 am

IndyandMarion wrote: BUT National Treasure 2. . . I'm all ready waiting in line.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19143
You are not standing ahead of me! :D: Know way on this one. Don't care how much I like you. ;)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]