News story on NBC4.tv

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

News story on NBC4.tv

Post by Wizard69 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:40 am

Are you still searching for your dream job? You are not alone -- not by a long shot.

A new CareerBuilder.com national consumer employment revealed that nearly four out of five U.S. workers (84 percent) are not currently in their dream job.

But what do they want in a dream job? According to the survey, what defines a dream job is surprisingly reminiscent of childhood wishes for many workers. Workers said they want to enjoy their work experience, apply their talents and feel like they're making an impact. Having fun at work was the most important attribute of a dream job for 39 percent of workers, which heavily outweighed the 12 percent who said salary was most important.

Salary was one of the least important factors in determining a dream job. Money ranked third (12 percent) compared to having fun at work (39 percent) which topped the list, followed by making a difference in society (17 percent). Rounding out the bottom three attributes were traveling and seeing the world (5 percent) and being creative within a position (5 percent).

As children, excitement and imagination played a major role in defining career paths as most respondents polled dreamed of growing up to be a firefighter (22 percent), princess (17 percent) or professional dancer (16 percent). Tied at 14 percent were those who wanted to be a cowboy or President.

Who Already Has Dream Job?

Across all professions, police and firefighters reported the highest incidence of feeling they have their dream jobs (35 percent). They are followed closely by teachers (32 percent), real estate professionals (28 percent) and engineers (25 percent). Those in travel and nurses also ranked near the top at 22 percent and 18 percent respectively.
Those professions with the least amount of workers feeling they have their dream jobs include accommodations/food services (9 percent), manufacturing (9 percent) and retail (10 percent).
When asked what they dreamed of becoming as a child, more than half of doctors and lawyers as well as 24 percent of teachers wanted to be President. Forty-one percent of firefighters and police officers wanted to be firefighters while 33 percent of nurses and 28 percent of homemakers wanted to be professional dancers. Thirty-three percent of administrative professionals wanted to princesses while 22 percent of manufacturing workers dreamed of being cowboys.
If given the opportunity to work at a Disney theme park for a day, the most popular dream job choice for real estate and banking/finance professionals was a Haunted Mansion Butler or Maid. Doctors and executives preferred to be Jungle Cruise Skippers while administrative professionals, nurses and homemakers preferred to be a Fantasyland Princess-in-Waiting. In addition to skippers, the most popular choice for firefighters and police officers was an Apprentice Pirate from the Caribbean while a Disney Parks Parade Performer ranked highest for those in legal services.

Findings By Region/Cities

Comparing major cities, workers living in Boston reported the highest incidence of feeling they have their dream jobs (37 percent). Other cities that scored high include Sacramento (26 percent), San Francisco (23 percent), Philadelphia (22 percent), Salt Lake City (20 percent), Dallas and Portland (both 19 percent).
Those cities with the least amount of workers feeling they have their dream jobs include San Diego (7 percent), Phoenix and Detroit (both 10 percent), and Atlanta and Miami (both 11 percent).
When asked what they dreamed of becoming as a child, Midwesterners had the greatest number of respondents who wanted to be firefighters or cowboys. The Northeast ranked highest for want-to-be princesses and pirates while the West ranked highest for professional dancers and boat captains. The South led the regions in those who aspired to be President.

More than 6,000 respondents were polled, weighing in with their thoughts and insights regarding top dream job choices for different professions and regions. The announcement coincided with CareerBuilder.com's and Disney Parks' national search which will give Americans the opportunity to live out their Disney Parks "Dream Job" for a day.

Disney's domestic theme parks are giving Americans the chance to live out their "Dream Jobs" in conjunction with its "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration. Interested parties 18 years and older may submit their resumes online from Jan. 24 through Feb. 20 at http://www.careerbuilder.com/disneydreamjobs to win the chance to work at a Disney theme park for one day.

Participants will be asked to showcase their most original and creative Disney resumes including why they want to work at a Disney Park, qualifications and skills for their desired position, as well as why this is their Disney Parks "Dream Job."

This survey was conducted online by Harris Interactive on behalf of CareerBuilder.com among 6,169 workers (employed full-time; not self employed), ages 18 and over within the United States between Nov. 17 and Dec. 11. Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents' propensity to be online.

With a pure probability sample of 6,169, one could say with a 95 percent probability that the overall results would have a sampling error of +/- 1 percentage points.
(I bolded and italicised the important part) Yet another low to find people to work for Disney.

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: News story on NBC4.tv

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:31 am

Yup, I heard about this!

It's LIKE working for Disney, but NOT getting paid!!

Are they getting paid for this??

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:31 am

YOU..HAVE..GOT..TO..BE..KIDDING..ME..

All that guest will be is eye candy. I know..duh, but I thought Disney was so worried about people (guests) getting hurt. Now they are inviting idiots to run the park? Not all guests are idiots, okay, but what about the whole blah blah blah about training and orientation? Some CM's are going to be very pissed off especially when Uncle Harry comes over to work their attraction. More than likely it'll be some AP who knows EVERYTHING and then heaven help us. Just remind me not to visit those rides that day...

(If I sound cynical, too bad. I remember how hard it was for me to even be hired. Working for Disney is something you earn, not pulling a name out of a hat.)

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:18 am

There appears to be only 5 "jobs." All of them are performers: Pirate, Princess in Waiting, Jungle Cruise Skipper, Haunted Mansion Butler or Maid, or Parade Performer.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/disneydreamjobs/home.asp

What? No bus driver or monorail driver ?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:40 am

What about custodian?

My dream job is to be a network admin for Disney. I don't want to deal with the public :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Wizard69 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 am

Have you ever dreamed of being a Disney Cast Member for a day? Well, CareerBuilder.com is bringing that opportunity to you. Between now and February 20th, you can apply to any of the honorary Disney Dream “Jobs” and your dream could come true!

With your application, you will need to submit a video of yourself telling us why you are perfect for the Disney Dream “Job”. So, grab your video camera and film your 45 second audition video today!

Honorary Disney Pirate

Honorary Disney Princess-in-Waiting

Honorary Disney Jungle Cruise Skipper

Honorary Disney Park Parade Performer

Honorary Disney Haunted Mansion Butler or Maid

Finalists’ videos will be posted online, and website visitors will vote for their favorites. The selected winners will live out their Dream “Job” experience for a day while enjoying a Disneyland® family vacation this June.

Apply for a Disney Dream “Job” Today!
This was my email from careerbuilder.com. When you click on the links it takes you to the job description.

You can view the main page then click on the description links from the url posted by leftcoaster.

Did you see what you win if you get selected?
Twenty-Five (25) Grand Prizes: Each Grand Prize is a trip for winner and up to three (3) guests to Disneyland® Resort in Anaheim, California from June 9 to 12, 2007 consisting of round-trip coach-class air transportation for four (4) persons from the major commercial airport with regularly scheduled flights nearest winner’s permanent residence to a Southern California airport as chosen by Sponsor, four (4) days/three (3) nights hotel accommodations (one standard room, quad occupancy, room and tax only) at a hotel located near the Disneyland® Resort as designated by Sponsor, round-trip ground transportation between airport and hotel in California, four (4) Disneyland® Resort 4-Day Park Hopper® Tickets, one (1) Disney Gift Card valued at $250, one (1) “Where Dreams Come True” Welcome Basket, and the opportunity for the winner to perform the designated “Honorary Job” depicted in their entry; ARV: $3,400 each. Total ARV of all Prizes: $85,000.
$85,000 freakin dollars!!!!!!!!!

The full rules are here:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/disneydreamjobs/rules.html

The end of the eligibility is interesting:
The Contest is offered and open only to legal residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 18 and older as of the date of entry, and who are the “Authorized Account Holder” of a valid E-mail address. The Contest is not open to employees, independent contractors, officers, and/or directors of Sponsor, Sponsor’s respective parent, related, affiliated and/or subsidiary companies, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, legal advisors, Disney Destinations, LLC, and the immediate family members of and persons living in the same household as such persons (hereinafter “Related Parties”). Any person who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a felony within the 10-year period prior to January 24, 2007 will not be eligible to win.
At least we know that we won't get 10 year felons applying. Just ones over 10 years.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Wizard69 wrote:$85,000 freakin dollars!!!!!!!!!
This is a drop to Disney but would be big money to CMs! Too bad Disney doesn't value the talent of their CMs & give us more per hr. rather than this huge promo which costs mega millions & will really yield Disney nothing valid as far as reliable working CMs both now & in the near future. Once again Disney screws their CMs!! :twisted: Maybe I'm missing the point. I see not one shred of logic in their twisted Dream Job idea. I see huge problems, lots of unneeded work for on stage CMs, & tragic accidents waiting to happen. $85,000 freakin dollars + yes, this P me off big time! :twisted: :mad: :(

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 pm

Yeah. This promotion does irk me... While it is in DL and not here (though all the press video/photos were done here [payback for the christmas DisneyParks commercial?]) and doesn't really affect me TOO much...

So most of the working population wants to work at Disney, eh? Well that shounds reasonable. Working here was my dream job afterall. Luckily I'm in a position where I don't need a steady income (yet), and was able to land an Attractions role before I graduated High School (by 3 weeks but still before ;) ). I know working for WDW has been a dream come true for me...and continues to be my dream as I aspire to move up in the company.

My beef with this promotion is how they are handling it. I'm almost positive that the winners' experiences will be heavily wattered down. Probable activities include (for mansion butlers as an example) Greeter positions (being assisted by senior CMs), Walkthrough of the attraction for press photos, possibly get to keep your costume, "signed" letter or card from the cast at the attraction, and stuff like that. It's not a CM experience. Its no more than a YOMD prize equivelent. You get put in the costume, slap a special nametag on, and maybe answer guest questions with "I dunno" and "I dont really work here, I just won a prize". They probably wont have to mingle with the regular CMs in their break rooms...

This will be very interesting to see how us CMs deal with the winners. I agree...they will probably cause more headaches then they think. Hell...even some of the new trainees cause headaches for more seasoned CMs...and they've been TRAINED!

...Heres the Disney Dreams Giveaway LE100 YOMD Dream Soapbox that money can't buy for someone else to use. ARV: $0.02. Canadian residents must pass a required cybercommunications skills test. Void where prohibited.

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:29 pm

So whoever wins has to pay taxes on the 85k too. There is a story on some dude who won a trip to space, but can't go because he can't pay the taxes. Companies always give the highest possible amount it could be. "Oh, the trip will only cost $joe_guest $2500, but the winner of this, well, it'll be $85k!"

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

ponytreegirl
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by ponytreegirl » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:10 pm

No, it is not $85,000... it is Twenty-Five (25) Grand Prizes, ARV: $3,400 each. Total ARV of all Prizes: $85,000