Learn F@#%ing english a#@$ole.:readit:

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Driver_dylan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Learn F@#%ing english a#@$ole.:readit:

Post by Driver_dylan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:36 pm

Now that I have your Attention! :D:

Today I had something that had me completely frustrated to the point that I accually wished harm on a ten year old. :twisted:

Now I am not going to get in a debate about being bilingual, because I speak Spanish, well in fact, but I don't have it on my tag for good reason. I believe that if you go to a country, any country, foreign to you; you should make an attempt to communicate in the countries primary language. Now enough of my political view and back to my story.

While working at the greeter position at LMA @ Studios. I watched a family sitting outside of the large restrooms across from the entrance. The two children began climbing on the walls. I decided to do the good CM thing and tell the kids to get down. I did, and was told that the kids did not speak English. The father then turned and continued talking to the others in his group, and said nothing to his kids, who were now starting to ruff house on the top of the wall. So, I took it upon myself the repeat my request in Spanish. Yes, the kids got down, but the gentleman shot me a rude look. So the event was over right? Annoying? Yes, but over right. Not by a long shot. The man went promptly, to Guest Relations, and complained that I decieved him by not having the notice on my name tag that I spoke Spanish. So I got a coaching for speaking Spanish.

VISA. It's everywhere you want to be, and a lot of places you don't.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Re: Learn F@#%ing english a#@$ole.:readit:

Post by ktulu » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:17 pm

Yes, how DARE you 1) not reveal that you speak spanish and 2) yell at some kids before they fall off a wall and split their heads open. The father probably saw little dollar signs climbing/playing on the wall. Some people should not have kids...

Jinxed
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Jinxed » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:49 am

Many years ago I had a landlord who was from the phillipines. She would do anything she possibly could to get out of paying for dang near anything. Taxes on the house I was renting, college tuitions...she even managed to get her kids into a private school ..full tuition paid all because she "didn't speak english", claimed severe hardship and she constantly claimed language barrier. Oddly as she would go out and claim this she was in her 4th year of nursing school at one of the best colleges in the area. It always amazed me ..she could read a legal contract, take all these tests in ENGLISH and graduate, but when it was to her advantage she always claimed language barrier.

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Wizard69 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:55 am

Driver_dylan wrote:So I got a coaching for speaking Spanish.
I would fight that and get it taken off my record. That is total bullshit. Just because you speak spanish doesn't mean you HAVE to have the language pin on your nametag. I have lots of coworkers who speak spanish. Ony a few have the language pin. The rest don't.

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:49 am

Wizard69 wrote:I would fight that and get it taken off my record. That is total bullshit. Just because you speak spanish doesn't mean you HAVE to have the language pin on your nametag. I have lots of coworkers who speak spanish. Ony a few have the language pin. The rest don't.
I totally agree!!! there are many CMs that speak a different language, but don't have a language pin.

The thing that gets me is when guests ACT like they don't speak English, but they do when they speak English to their families. The only reason they do that is to get you off their backs!

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:54 am

About a month ago all DLR stores CMs were given an official Disney Spanish dictionary to read in spare time :( & carry while on stage. Any other CMs get this treasure? Ya right, reading a pocket size Spanish dictionary will be a real solve it all! Cash wrap trash was filled with these dictionaries after closing as were breakrooms. Disney can't force a CM to use Spanish while working. Be sure to check your pers record a few times so this will not be put in as a violation. I only use Spanish if there is extreme need or for shock value purposes. Not many realize I'm bilingual & I want to keep it as such.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:15 am

Wait, wait, wait! Am I reading this post correctly?? Since when did Spanish become a mandatory skill for CM's to have? No, this may cost me some friends on this board but damn it, last time I checked the official language in this USA of ours is still English. Look, I applaud all who want to keep their culture alive but how dare you act like we should bow down to you. As driver_dylan said, if I was to go to another country, I would have to learn enough of that language to get around. Most locals wouldn't give me the time of day if I didn't at least attempt it and not just assume that everyone there would know English, right? I remember when I was in school learning about other countries and how if we ever traveled that we would be sort of ambassadors for USA. So don't these others believe the same thing when they are visiting?

Why are we so lax here? I do know quite a few people that speak more than one language but they don't pretend they don't know English. To me, that is disrespectful and that family who complained should be ashamed of themselves. I agree that you should take that to a supervisor or someone who can help you fight that.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:36 am

LittleDollClaudia wrote:Wait, wait, wait! Am I reading this post correctly?? Since when did Spanish become a mandatory skill for CM's to have? No, this may cost me some friends on this board but damn it, last time I checked the official language in this USA of ours is still English. Look, I applaud all who want to keep their culture alive but how dare you act like we should bow down to you. As driver_dylan said, if I was to go to another country, I would have to learn enough of that language to get around. Most locals wouldn't give me the time of day if I didn't at least attempt it and not just assume that everyone there would know English, right? I remember when I was in school learning about other countries and how if we ever traveled that we would be sort of ambassadors for USA. So don't these others believe the same thing when they are visiting?

Why are we so lax here? I do know quite a few people that speak more than one language but they don't pretend they don't know English. To me, that is disrespectful and that family who complained should be ashamed of themselves. I agree that you should take that to a supervisor or someone who can help you fight that.
Don't shoot the messenger here, but there is no "official" language of the USA.

Panther007
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Panther007 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:11 am

English is the main language of America and i believe most or parts of England

i would make it a rule, you must speak some english to enter the park

even i studied spanish before going to Cozumel (sp?) on the Disney Magic, and now im going to have to learn more spanish when i go to Spain on the Disney Magic, and maybe Itilian

but when i went to cozumel, i attempted to speak spanish (i didnt know much then so i had a hard time and continously said weird things, like the cosby show episode where Theo tries to read French and has his dad trying to build a cabinent, and he tells him, With the mallet Smash your ankle through slot A and put your mother on a horse)

ucfsweetie82
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by ucfsweetie82 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:06 am

The ones that annoy me are the ones that ask if you speak Spanish(which is about all I understand) and when you say no continue to speak in Spanish, to which I give them a really blank look.