Stupid Credit Card Trick

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Terrytunes
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Hey fraudsters! Go to Disneyland!

Post by Terrytunes » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:20 pm

Yes, I remember getting that from time to time in the booth. Wife presents his cc, but he isn't there. She tells me that they have the same account. I would tell SG that I would be happy to take the same account card with her name on it so that she could sign for the tickets, or we could wait for her husband. Of course, wife left her wallet in the car/hotel so that it wouldn't be stolen, so she doesn't have her cc. They would argue back and forth until the husband came to the window.

Or my other favorite: "I can show you my I.D. We have the same last name." Yeah, lots of divorced couples have the same last name. How do I know that you didn't steal your ex's cc and are taking it on a joy ride at DL?

Or the SG that presents their cc without a signature and doesn't have I.D.(we were allowed, in fact encouraged to run the cc if there was a signature on back, to speed up the line), we tell SG that, "For your safety, I cannot run this card because it is not signed." The SG then reaches for my pen and starts to sign the back of his card. Duh SG! I'm still not going to take the card if you signed it right in front of me! Then I kindly tell them where the nearest ATM machine is so that they can get cash.

Oh, those old, happy days at DLR ticket booth. I really do miss them, no kidding. Wish I was back.

TT

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Stupid Credit Card Trick

Post by Alyssa3467 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Another thing I forgot to bring up... all you can prove by showing me other cards with the same name but without ID is that you stole somebody's wallet. :p:

Mad Maxx
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Mad Maxx » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:54 am

Alyssa3467 wrote:Had another one of these the other day, this time a Canadian Guest using an actual credit card. She presented her passport as ID, and the name didn't match. She then proceeded to pull out multiple reciepts and other cards with the same name as the card I refused to take, but different from the passport. Her daughter's passport also was presented to me with a last name matching the card, and eventually also her flight confirmation from the airline she took, matching the card and not the passport.

How the hell did she get on the plane, or in this country? :mad: Transportation Security indeed...
I had an even better one the other day. If a guest has bought tickets through a travel agent and they need to pick up the tickets, we just need their photo ID to pick them up. So, some guest at my window comes up with out a photo ID for her self (the name the order is under). So I get permission from my lead to issue the order to the guest if the daughter who is there has an ID with the same last name. And the daughter left her ID at the hotel. So I told them they had to go back to the hotel to get the moms and daughters IDs. Except the guest yell at me that she left HERS at home in WASHINGTON. She then proceeds to yell at me how she was able to get through the airport with out a photo ID, why the hell does Disneyland need one to get her already paid for tickets. Because unlike like the TSA, our policies actually mean something...

And please tell me that Im not the only one who doesn't like the Visa Electron or Visa Travel cards that have NO NAME on the damn card.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:28 am

Mad Maxx wrote:She then proceeds to yell at me how she was able to get through the airport with out a photo ID, why the hell does Disneyland need one to get her already paid for tickets. Because unlike like the TSA, our policies actually mean something...
That's bull$&#%. No way she got through an airport with no ID, or at least I hope to God she didn't.
And please tell me that Im not the only one who doesn't like the Visa Electron or Visa Travel cards that have NO NAME on the damn card.
Visa Travel Money is a gift card, nothing to special about it. As there's no name on them there's not much you can do but run them through and hope they don't get rejected so the guest doesn't get pissed off.

I've gotten a number of different types of those types of gift cards lately and from different companies, not just Visa. Apparently some of the Brazilian tour groups now issue them to their members.

Apparently most WDW guests bring their ID as whenever I ask for it the person has it and is usually glad to show it. Only a few times has a guest either not have their ID or get mad about showing it.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:50 am

Mad Maxx wrote:She then proceeds to yell at me how she was able to get through the airport with out a photo ID...
Shorty82 wrote:That's bull$&#%. No way she got through an airport with no ID, or at least I hope to God she didn't.
Actually, you can. I read an article a few months ago about a guy who has been doing it for some time. It'll involve secondary inspection and twenty questions, but you can get through. The guy in the article hit me as a smart ass with plenty of time on his hands.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 am

hobie16 wrote:Actually, you can. I read an article a few months ago about a guy who has been doing it for some time. It'll involve secondary inspection and twenty questions, but you can get through. The guy in the article hit me as a smart ass with plenty of time on his hands.
The guy wasn't John Gilmore was it?

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:13 pm

Mad Maxx wrote:And please tell me that Im not the only one who doesn't like the Visa Electron or Visa Travel cards that have NO NAME on the damn card.
What I don't like about the Visa Electron cards is that they're flat and if the magstripe fails, you can't take an imprint, and must refuse the card. I suspect that's why they all say "For electronic use only" on them, but most of the cashiers I've seen these days (both within DLR and outside) don't know proper procedures regarding keyed-in credit card transactions. :rolleyes:

thomaskr
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by thomaskr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:34 pm

Coastercameron wrote:Exactly!!!

We try our best to follow the guidelines that Visa (and the other CC companies) set out in order to best protect ourselves, and more importantly the guests. It might be an inconvienence to have to show ID or *GASP* let me hang onto your credit card for 15 seconds while you sign, but it could potentially save you from a very messy, and damaging experience with credit card fraud.

Today I had a guest who was SHOCKED that she had to show ID for her *PLATINUM* credit card. I informed her that they all got stolen just the same. (I wasn't up for playing games today). She assured me that since it was PLATINUM "it has insurance to protect you and the stealee from liability"

That's right folk, the "stealee" is protected from liabilitiy. :rolleyes:

Luckily for every 1 person who acts like that, we get 2 or 3 who say thank you for checking when asked for ID. That always makes my day a little nicer! :)
Actually, one might think that asking for ID would be a natural and smart way to deter credit card fraud (regardless of the fact that - in most states and provinces - a driver's license is a shitty way to determine someone's identity) but actually by the terms of merchant agreement with credit card issuers, stores are NOT allowed to force you to present ID in addition to your credit card!!

(http://consumerist.com/consumer/privacy ... 332516.php)

Funny, huh?

thomaskr
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by thomaskr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:Had another one of these the other day, this time a Canadian Guest using an actual credit card. She presented her passport as ID, and the name didn't match. She then proceeded to pull out multiple reciepts and other cards with the same name as the card I refused to take, but different from the passport. Her daughter's passport also was presented to me with a last name matching the card, and eventually also her flight confirmation from the airline she took, matching the card and not the passport.

How the hell did she get on the plane, or in this country? :mad: Transportation Security indeed...
The Border people and the TSA people don't communicate. TSA accepts a credit card as a "piece of ID" and that's all it takes to get your ticket. Even less if you use one of those automated ticket booths (there are plenty of documented examples of people being admitted onto the wrong flight, for example). The border folks don't care who's getting on the plane just that they're admitting someone with a valid passport, who's photo matches the face and they're not on some "no fly" list.

The credit card name should match the wife's full real, legal name. If they didn't change it, at least hypenate it for those circumstances.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:54 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:What I don't like about the Visa Electron cards is that they're flat and if the magstripe fails, you can't take an imprint, and must refuse the card. I suspect that's why they all say "For electronic use only" on them, but most of the cashiers I've seen these days (both within DLR and outside) don't know proper procedures regarding keyed-in credit card transactions. :rolleyes:
Just curious, how do you imprint them? Do you have the old-style carbon paper with addressograph roller thing (which should still be part of the power outage kit)? Or do you do what some pizza delivery places do and put the card under a piece of thermal receipt tape and rub it with the side of a pen?

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005