Stupid Credit Card Trick

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Stupid Credit Card Trick

Post by Alyssa3467 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:We have a fairly new policy where if a transaction is under $25.00, we don't have to ask for a signature on the credit card reciept, and hence don't need to look at the signature panel and ask for ID if it's not signed. I'm not a big fan of it for a number of reasons.
  1. Stolen credit cards and fraud related to such. "Woot! I'm going to buy $20 Disney Dollars from Star Trader, then go to Disneyana, buy $20 more Disney Dollars, and then Showcase, Emporium, World of Disney, and Greetings from California. That's $120 in my pocket without having to worry about forging a signature or coming up with a fake ID!"

Granted, they're only getting Disney Dollars, but getting them converted to cash is fairly trivial.
  2. People who don't sign the back of their credit card, and have their picture on the front (or sometimes the back) of their card (Bank of America is the most common).

With this, if they hit a transaction that's over $25.00 and are asked for ID, they insist that the picture on the card is good enough, and use the line "I've never been asked for other ID anywhere else!" Card companies such as Visa tell us that we have to see a government issued ID; my preferred form of ID is a passport, largely because all passports look the same, whereas not all driver licenses look the same.
  3. People who use their spouses/other family member's card.

This is similar to B. They hit a transaction that's over $25. One of two things happen.
    1. Their card is not signed. They're asked for ID, and it's discovered that the name on the card doesn't match the name on the ID. Thankfully, this usually occurs before the card is processed.
    2. Their card is signed, and because it's not their card, the signature on the reciept doesn't match the signature panel. Unfortunately, this can't be discovered until after the card has been processed. A return thus has to be processed to put the money back on the card if the actual cardholder isn't there to sign the reciept.
    In either case, the <strike>Guest</strike>Customer often uses the line "I've been using this card all day, and nobody said anything!"
  4. People who change their last name on their credit card, but not on their ID, or vice versa.

This is simiar to C.1. Not usually an issue if it's actually their card and the card is signed on the back, and they sign the reciept the same way they signed the card, since matching signatures don't trigger an ID check.

If you're an authorized user on your spouse's account and you refuse to change your last name, then get a card issued with the name that you have on your bloody ID. :mad: The card issuers don't care. I have a card on my Disney Visa account that says "Alyssa Jones," even though my last name isn't Jones, and the "Primary Cardholder" on the account is my real first and last name. Again, the card issuers don't care.
Some things have changed since this post. Disney Dollars, as far as I know, are only sold by Guest Relations now, and the POS doesn't print a signature line for any transaction under $50, even transactions that require it regardless of dollar amount, such as when the card information is manually entered and an imprint is required.

Also, this: ImageImage

Very few people have questioned me on using this card.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:At the Disneyland Resort, the threshold is $50.00. I'm not a fan, for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. I can link to the relevant post if you give me a few moments.
Same threshold over here at WDW.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:
Also, this: ImageImage

Very few people have questioned me on using this card.
You must look just like her! :p:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Mr. D. wrote:None of my CC's have my signature on the back. Instead in permanent marker it says "SEE ID".

This works very well as 95% of the time a cashier will flip the card over and then ask for my ID. This has even worked for the CC's that have your photo on the front of them (like bank of America). The only time I notice this does not happen is for small purchases like fast food though I wish they all would. I also notice some places won't ask for a signature on a slip if the total is under a certain amount (ie: $20).
They're probably used to people who yell at them when they ask to see ID. "I left it in the car!" I usually find it not worth the argument that always happens for a $2 drink refill, but I certainly would for a $30 meal purchase.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:Some things have changed since this post. Disney Dollars, as far as I know, are only sold by Guest Relations now....
At WDW, Disney Dollars are still sold at Resorts.

Zazu

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:43 pm

KingsIslander wrote:They're probably used to people who yell at them when they ask to see ID. "I left it in the car!" I usually find it not worth the argument that always happens for a $2 drink refill, but I certainly would for a $30 meal purchase.
When I worked retail, I got that a lot too. The dumbest thing I ever heard. You should carry your ID with you at all times. ESPECIALLY when you're shopping.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:21 am

KingsIslander wrote:They're probably used to people who yell at them when they ask to see ID. "I left it in the car!"
One of the many reasons for the idea of the RFID wristbands.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:51 am

Big Wallaby wrote:One of the many reasons for the idea of the RFID wristbands.
I don't know about wristbands, but I am all for the implant chip.

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:44 am

Mr. D. wrote:When I worked retail, I got that a lot too. The dumbest thing I ever heard. You should carry your ID with you at all times. ESPECIALLY when you're shopping.
Especially when they write "SEE ID" on their credit card! Oh, and...
What forms of payment does Kings Island accept?
Kings Island accepts cash, credit or debit cards from American Express, MasterCard, Visa and Discover. A valid driver's license must be presented when using a credit card for purchases at the park.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 am

Big Wallaby wrote:One of the many reasons for the idea of the RFID wristbands.
This is what the Great Wolf Lodge chain of water park resorts uses. It is your room key, resort id for charging and admission to the waterpark, and even used for their system of ride photos. You just touch the wristband to the sensor before boarding your ride raft or tube. It works very well, however little kids hate wearing them overnight, so you often need to cut it off of the kids wrists to get them to go to sleep. The front desk happily replaces it the next morning.