Getting a part time job at WDW

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Getting a part time job at WDW

Post by Princess Susi » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:39 am

My hubby and I are retired and moving to Orlando area. We enjoy the Disney Parks and experience and are "old School". You will know us because we are the kind of people who always help someone out if they need guidance, assist CM's if we see something we can do for them. At Disneyland Hotel, the concierge lounge cast members all call us part of their family because we know them so well. We are of the thought that you treat people the way you want to be treated. Does NOT always work, we do run into A-holes who just cannot be helped, guests who are complete hillbillies. My question to all the wonderful, hard working, abused C.M.s out there, is: Is it worth it? Working for Disney has always appealed to us, on a part-time basis and we notice alot of older people working there. We are baby boomers, in our 40's and 50's and I have a mouth that needs to be duct taped once in a..., well pretty much most of the time. Would I have a hard time with SG's? I worked in retail for many years and in the food services, but mostly worked as a radio announcer for 17 years, it was great hiding out in a studio. We did have to do alot of promo appearances and parties and giveaways and live broadcasts so we had to deal with people alot. Are MOST people pretty nice? Or are most hicks who do not know any better? I would like to believe that the human race is innately good....but I have been on this planet 50 years so.....I know better. Would we have a good time working part-time and NOT owing our soul to Disney fulltime? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is always appreciated by ALL the C.M.'s we talk to when in the parks. We love you all, since you do a marvelous job with sometimes the dregs of the human race. Power on!!!!!
Thanks!
sues :bananana:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Getting a part time job at WDW

Post by Zazu » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:51 am

susislicker wrote:My hubby and I are retired and moving to Orlando area.
Welcome to town! Please bring some rain with you.
We are of the thought that you treat people the way you want to be treated. Does NOT always work, we do run into A-holes who just cannot be helped, guests who are complete hillbillies.
Hey, let's not be badmouthing hillbillies here! I don't find they have any higher a percentage of A-holes than city folk.

And you're right, the Golden Rule doesn't always work, but it *does* always let you feel superior when it doesn't.
Is it worth it? Working for Disney has always appealed to us, on a part-time basis and we notice alot of older people working there. We are baby boomers, in our 40's and 50's and I have a mouth that needs to be duct taped once in a..., well pretty much most of the time. Would I have a hard time with SG's?
What person with a brain *wouldn't* have a hard time with SGs?
I worked in retail for many years and in the food services....
So you've already learned how to put a sock in it. Remenber that skill, it'll come in handy some days.
Are MOST people pretty nice?
Hard as it may be to believe after reading this site, yes. Most guests are fine. As I tell my trainees, "Only one guest is a million is a complete moron, but with the traffic we get, this means about three a week."

More importantly, several guests in a million can make magic happen for *us*. I still remember that first 3-year-old who silently raised his pen and autograph book for me to sign. I had a guest last month who came to my desk twice a day and left me smiling honestly each time. I still enjoy it when a new joke works, or when my oldest ones still do.
I would like to believe that the human race is innately good... but I have been on this planet 50 years so... I know better.
Yeah, me too. But this is probably the core of that good feeling I get from walking down Main Street -- the feeling that the whole world *could* be as bright and happy and friendly if we could all just get our acts together. Thanks to Disney, we can hold onto that illusion (or delusion), even if it does cost us $71.36/day.
Would we have a good time working part-time and NOT owing our soul to Disney fulltime?
I certainly do, despite all the outrageous things I've posted here. Retirement didn't suit me -- I lasted only ten months. Full-time work doesn't, especially as it often means mandatory 6- or 7-day weeks right now. Part-time lets you adjust your participation to match your outside obligations and your level of tolerance for SGs.

And the Walt Disney Company does *not* own my soul.

That belongs to Walt. :walt:

Look me up when you hit town. I'll get you some referral cards and help out however else I can in getting you settled here, even if you do manage to resist the call to polyester.

Zazu

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:37 pm

Zazu, Thanks for the info. I mean't no offense on the hillbilly remark. I use that term to describe ANYONE without a brain, city, country or from the moon.... We are thinking it could be a great way to stay busy and in touch with people. We both LOVE Disneyland and WDW so much, I just hope we do not get disillusioned...Oh well, too late for that...HEHEHE...Our house is up for sale here in Denver, could be awhile with the treacherous real estate market, but we will get to Orlando eventually. We met the greatest people on our trip to WDW last May, mostly chatted with C.M.'s. One was an 83 yr. old woman who worked at Fantasmic, showing people the way out with her flashlight and her husband who is 89 yrs old also works there a couple days a week!!!! I thought that was great!!!
I have alot of respect for C.M.'s, I watch alot, keep my eyes open and TRY to keep my mouth shut without using using my foot and I see so many idiots at the park and C.M.'s who maintain such a cool and manage not to go off on them...you guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!
sues :D: :bouncemic

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:10 pm

I have what I consider one of the best possible PT jobs at WDW. I was hired to be a Greeter at TL. I have told them that my availability is Wednesdays and Thursdays only, so I am never scheduled for other days. I have had my Ticket and Guest Relations training so about 30% of the time I am in a booth instead of outside. During the winter the water parks are only 10:00 to 5:00, so I really don't get weird hours. And since my Disney pay is such a small part of my income all the coordinators know that if they are overstaffed I am always willing to take an early release.

Paragon
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Paragon » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:04 pm

I tell people that if you love Disney, don't come to work here. Nothing destroys the magic faster than an idiot supervisor treating you like dirt.

But if you want to work with guests, and make magic, there is no other place better than Disney.

Just make sure that you have a Plan B in case you have enough of dealing with, um, everything that goes along with being a cast member.

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:02 pm

Well, I just came onboard. I moved to FL permanently in Nov. Applied to WDW in the beginning of Dec and finally finished the hiring process in late January.

I went with Transportation (Dress Purples) and as a bus driver, you need to pass the federal requirements, background checks, DMV checks, etc.

I have been a CM now for about 6 weeks part time and so far ....love it!

The hardest part was making the time available to train. As a bus driver, you need 2-3 weeks to train as it includes either getting your Class B CDL or recertifing your present one. If you don't have one, WDW will pay for it (eventually). Then the location training and then you can do your hub training PT.

I got let loose on SG's last week and had a ball. But as low man on totem pole, I am getting "crappy" shifts like MK Sunday night until 5:15am.

All in all, I'm happy with the job and recommend it. It's not hard if you had retail training and you can mess with SG's.

So far (knocking on wooden head) all of the GSM's that I have delt with have been decent people and helpful. I'm sure that someday I'll come across a @ick but hopefully I'll be able to deal with it.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:07 pm

Cranbiz wrote:Well, I just came onboard.
:welcome: Your transportation post was interesting reading.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:43 pm

Hey, Cran, when you went in with your Class B, had you been driving passengers within the last month before you started? I'm hopinig to be hired on for bus driving on Saturday.

Thanks for that post, it's great seeing how it all works at the start.

Also, I've heard they are seriously looking for drivers right now. Can you substantiate that?

ThunderCat
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ThunderCat » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:16 pm

Zazu wrote:...the Walt Disney Company does *not* own my soul. That belongs to Walt.
I am SO using that.

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Thanks everyone.

Big Wallaby- I didn't have the Class B when I started. That was taken care of during my second actual week of training. My claim to fame in Mass was that of a Vol. Firefighter. For that, we didn't need the Class B. My thought was that if I could drive the big red truck, than I can handle the 40' bus.

So, to answer your ?, no I had not driven pass. prior. During location training I got to drive guests with my trainer. We went to MK while they were on visual dispatch and just got in the queue with the other busses.

Yes, they are still actively looking for drivers. In my class, we have already lost 3 out of the 9. 1 because she didn't want to do nights, 1 because he was uncomfortable with his learning ability at the hub and a third just because he couldn't get it.