Space Mtn. at the future Hong Kong D-land

All other Disney Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disney discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
SirWillow
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SirWillow » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:15 pm

^^ I'm confused. You mean break off and hit the loop they're putting on the Disneyland Space? Only problem is, they're not putting a loop on the new version. It's supposed to be a rebuild following the same layout as it had before, which means no loop. Just new track following that layout, then a retheme and a redo of the station and queue area.

Unless you're seeing something that I've missed somewhere... which is always a possibility.

What do you mean you won't smile for the camera?

Space Man K7
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Location: Critter Country / Tomorrowland VIVA LA SPACE MOUNTAIN

Post by Space Man K7 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:35 pm

Now my understanding of Space Mountain Version 2.0, is that the track lay out is to remain the same. If you took the Building Specs from DL and DLP... you'd notice that the stuctures are exactly the same diameter, and the Paris building is a couple feet taller. So In theroy the DLP track would fit in the Anaheim building... but in order for that to work, the queue and station would have to be removed and the Columbiad Cannon would have to be added. Thus (ooo I got a chance to use "thus"!!) Tomorrowland would loose HISTA... Ok, I know it sucks, but can you imagine Tomorrowland with one less attraction than it alread has... the place is dying and she needs all the help she can get.

The water is green for a reason
Not quite sure what that reason is,
but it's green for a reason Kids!

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:43 am

Polar33 wrote:But then, I also believe that they could figure out some way to work it so that they could have both...but that would take both time and money so it probabaly wouldn't work out.
They could easily have both... if they wanted to. But this version of the Disney company is all about saving money. The whole reason we got Astro Orbiter the way it is, is because it is an exact duplicate of the one in Paris. They had all the plans finished and everything worked out for the one in Paris, so the do it again, using those same plans, saved them a sh*tload of $$$.
So for them to rework the queue area, and put it in, say, where the arcade is now, would cost them a lot of money in planning it all out.
They could even get rid of the NASA exhibit - move the Star Trader shop to where NASA was - and use the old arcade/Star Trader area for the Paris-styled queue thing.
But it all comes down to money, and whether or not they want to spend. I'm sure they've had the same conversations years ago, when they first decided to "rebuild" the mountain...

Personally, I think they missed a great chance in redesigning ours to be like the one in Paris. A lot of the planning work can be recycled from Paris, and when it's all done, they could have truthfully advertised Space as a NEW attraction.

But they can't really do that when it has the exact same track layout as before...

You'd think they'd jump at being able to "build a new attraction" at a cheaper cost then designing a whole new one...

Tink797
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Damn the budgets what about the guest experience?

Post by Tink797 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:55 pm

Yeah you would think huh? But the way they are chopping budgets left and right why would they want something new and fun?? I have a huge problem when I walk through tomorrowland, even though it is a ghost town, and have one of the biggest eateries TLT (now Club Buzz) closed most everyday except when they think they might make money. I can't even imagine what kind of labor and hour cut that gave to the foods cast members... gosh what is going on here?!?! :cry:

Tink797
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Tink797 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:01 pm

By the way I am perminately scared by that picture!!! :shock: AHHHHHHHH!! :shock: RUN AWAY!!!! :shock:

Ottar
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Space Mtn. at the future Hong Kong D-land

Post by Ottar » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:50 am

BirdMom wrote: Just the fact that it's actually going to have a loop - well, it looks like there's going to be a Space Mountain that will actually be scary!
Space Mountain in the States doesn't have a loop?!?!?!!?
SM in Paris has two loops, a sideways horseshoe turn (or "french loop") and a corkscrew... I thought they were identical! ...well, apart from the outer housing....

In Walt's days, quality and capacity did not compete.

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:30 pm

DLP's Space Mtn. also has a launch sequence that is kind of fun to watch. The theme is that you are being launched to the moon in a really big gun.
And then the ride is awesome. The only downside is that it knocks your head into the sides of the shoulder-harness.

(hmmm, if I start saving now, maybe I can talk the hubby into a second honeymoon for our 10yr anniversary....only about 8yrs to go... 8) )

SONiC Senshi
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by SONiC Senshi » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:03 pm

Space Man K7 wrote:Now my understanding of Space Mountain Version 2.0, is that the track lay out is to remain the same. If you took the Building Specs from DL and DLP... you'd notice that the stuctures are exactly the same diameter, and the Paris building is a couple feet taller. So In theroy the DLP track would fit in the Anaheim building... but in order for that to work, the queue and station would have to be removed and the Columbiad Cannon would have to be added. Thus (ooo I got a chance to use "thus"!!) Tomorrowland would loose HISTA... Ok, I know it sucks, but can you imagine Tomorrowland with one less attraction than it alread has... the place is dying and she needs all the help she can get.
The diameter on both Space Mountains are 200ft. and both are about 16.5ft. below grade. But from their highest to lowest points are total different.
Disneyland: 117ft. (100ft. Above ground)
Disneyland Paris:157ft. (141ft. Above ground)

FormerWDI
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by FormerWDI » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:32 pm

VonSeegs wrote:I remember they were testing some kind of digital effect where when you were coming off of the last lift there were 2 projections of meteors and they came closer and closer and hit and exploded right as you were taking the first turn. The effect was at a baby stage so it looked really corny but after everything was done you could tell that it would have looked RAD. There was also a sound effect that went with it and they played it a couple of times and had it been in sync with the crashing meteors it would have been really scary.
I was there that day...my back hurt after riding for so long! And, yes, that is the effect for Hong Kong...not an actual meteorite.