Has Disney finally gone off the deep end?

All other Disney Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disney discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Has Disney finally gone off the deep end?

Post by Zazu » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:47 pm

tacoboy wrote:How about that film where elephants and children all over the world were taught about the wonders of alcohol.... :p:
You want to make Mickey seem more hip? How about making a cartoon where he smokes cigars, drinks beer, drops his pants, and gets into a fight in a bar over some flirt?

Oh wait, that's the outline for "The Galloping Gaucho" of 1928! :eek:

But I do agree that "Pimp Mickey" is going too far.

Zazu

tacoboy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tacoboy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:05 pm

Zazu wrote:You want to make Mickey seem more hip? How about making a cartoon where he smokes cigars, drinks beer, drops his pants, and gets into a fight in a bar over some flirt?
mickey can have all the cigars and beer he wants but i don't think anyone can beat this little beauty

click for a magical(frightening) experience

"Do human beings realize life as they live it? Every... every minute?"

"No. Walt Disney, maybe, but that's about it."

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PirateJohn » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:10 pm

tacoboy wrote:mickey can have all the cigars and beer he wants but i don't think anyone can beat this little beauty

click for a magical(frightening) experience
I have that one on DVD. Der Fuhrer's Face is awesome!

tacoboy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tacoboy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:12 pm

PirateJohn wrote: Der Fuhrer's Face is awesome!
please tell me you don;t mean it in THAT way..... :eek:

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:08 am

[quote="tacoboy"]please tell me you don]

Dude, you have to watch it! It's so damn funny. It was anti-Nazi propaganda in the day. My mom was in High School when this was released during the war and it was hugely popular with the public. I remember her talking about this years ago. Poor Donald - he was having those weird dreams before Bobby Ewing...

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:55 am

OK. I'll take the $3,000 opticfiber leather jacket (this is no shit) The $2,500 M/M Lettermans 'patch' jacket,and Alice.
(oh,can I get a six-pack to go with that?) :rolleyes:

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:58 am

BirdMom wrote:The Lindsey Lohans and Nicole Ritchies of this world will eventually be photographed wearing these expensive Disney togs and spread over all the magazines that their fans buy. This in turn makes the Disney brand image seem more hip than it's been in a few years.
Great. Just the people I DON'T want representing the company. I dont remember who said it, but it was an extremely good point. "Why does Disney want so badly to appeal to the teenage audience? As a group, they cause the most trouble, dont buy all that much merchandice or food in the parks, and generally do not care for "family" entertainment"

Does the brand really need to be "more hip"? Disney does a fine job at its current market: FAMILY entertainment. The classic feature films and characters are still popular today, and families still watch Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, and Dumbo with their little ones, toddlers, grandchildren, etc. There will be that phase most kids go through where they dont want anything to do with their family or family entertainment (i.e. The Disney Company in whole). Just the name Disney represents wholesomeness, to whihc most teens want nothing to do with as their being "rebelious and angsty".

Wow. that went on for longer than expected.... Whole 'nother can of worms eh?

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?

tacoboy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tacoboy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:57 pm

BirdMom wrote:Dude, you have to watch it! It's so damn funny. It was anti-Nazi propaganda in the day. My mom was in High School when this was released during the war and it was hugely popular with the public. I remember her talking about this years ago. Poor Donald - he was having those weird dreams before Bobby Ewing...
i've seen it a bajillion times and its one of my favorite old school disney cartoons...cuz its so satirical...i was only kidding with PirateJohn

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:35 am

bpgstudios wrote:Does the brand really need to be "more hip"? Disney does a fine job at its current market: FAMILY entertainment.
This sounds like some of the plaints going around in the 80's when the company started Touchstone Pictures. As fond as we all are of the classics, from a purely business standpoint, the company has to do things to expand their market and keep the shareholders happy. If it means that merchandise offerings have to evolve, that's what's going to happen. It's not like they're going to get too crazy with the characters - you're not going to see Aurora and Phillip getting down on a tee shirt. And excuse me, but thinking of more recent characters, Baby Herman and Jessica Rabbitt aren't exactly pure as the driven snow...

And again, this is a submarket that this new merchandise is targeting. It's not like you're going to find this stuff at Kohl's in Davenport, Iowa. The people who love wholesome will have plenty of wholesome to go around in their target price points.

Honestly, when you think about it, "pimp Mickey" is pretty much what the company does anyway when it comes to selling merchandise. All the characters are whored out (albeit innocently) to make a buck. This is just the first time they've admitted it in writing. ;)

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:02 am

BirdMom wrote:...you're not going to see Aurora and Phillip getting down on a tee shirt. And excuse me, but thinking of more recent characters, Baby Herman and Jessica Rabbitt aren't exactly pure as the driven snow...
This reminds me of a shirt a friend of mine used to have...I don't know where he got it, and I'm sure it's not officially liscensed, but it featured the Disney-style Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. Pooh appeared to have fallen over a log and Tigger was standing behind him. Pooh had a very surprised expression on his face. The caption read "Pooh discovers 'the wonderful thing about Tiggers!'" :eek: