Universal Studios Part I

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Universal Studios Part I

Post by Rob562 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:10 am

Here ya go, one instance where Bing Maps does better than Google Maps:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pppzb6 ... 2855&sty=o
(You get a better view if you rotate the image twice in either direction)

You can see the top of the 4-segment escalator that makes its way down the hill, as well as the ivy-covered elevator down to the van boarding area.

One of the few memories I have from my single visit to Universal (at least I think it was at Universal) way back in 1983 at the tender age of 6 was a funicular that traversed the hillside. I vaguely remember the uphill boarding point was inside a large brown building...

Any long-term SoCal people have any idea what I'm talking about?

-Rob

Spideyfreak
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Spideyfreak » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Sounds like Six Flags Magic Mountain to me. As far as I know, Universal never had a funicular.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Spideyfreak wrote:Sounds like Six Flags Magic Mountain to me. As far as I know, Universal never had a funicular.
I'm not sure if SFMM ever did. I know Universal didn't (Lower Lot and Starway were opened the same time.) However, I do remember Dogpatch USA (which used to be up in the Ozark mountains near Harrison, Arkansas) did have one. Since the park's closure, it's been left to rot (the only ride that wasn't removed.)

A gallery of photos of the abandoned Dogpatch, USA.

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm

The Angel's Flight in L.A. is like that, though I can't remember when they re-opened it, or exactly when they had that fatal accident that closed it down again.

Spideyfreak
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Spideyfreak » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:36 pm

CBeilby wrote:I'm not sure if SFMM ever did. I know Universal didn't (Lower Lot and Starway were opened the same time.) However, I do remember Dogpatch USA (which used to be up in the Ozark mountains near Harrison, Arkansas) did have one. Since the park's closure, it's been left to rot (the only ride that wasn't removed.)

A gallery of photos of the abandoned Dogpatch, USA.
SFMM still has theirs in operation...

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:51 am

The Orient Express? Yeah, that thing is pretty neat. There was another slow moving attraction called "The Dragon" @ SFMM where Ninja is now. It was like their version of the PeopleMover. I know the station still sits empty by Ninja and JetStream. Not sure why they never removed it...

Those photos of Dogpatch USA reek of creepy/awesome. It's like a ghost town. I love it, thanks for sharing!

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 am

AHA! I found it...

There was a funicular/tram that connected a restaurant called Victoria Station to a lower parking lot. It operated from 1977 until they built a parking garage on the hill that put the top level even with the restaurant in the 80's.
(My childhood visit was in 1983, I believe.)

http://www.thestudiotour.com/ush/attrac ... tion.shtml

http://www.cable-car-guy.com/html/cclafun.html#victoria

-Rob