Beware of the Bears!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Beware of the Bears!

Post by Zazu » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:27 pm

The first Saturday in June is always Gay Day at the Magic Kingdom. It's not a normal day, but that's what I like about it. Half the guests are wearing red, and all have come looking for a good time. Guests who can't handle this much reality are put in vans and shipped off to other -- presumably less gay -- parks.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a stupid trick, but after due consideration (and confirmation my supervision didn't hear it), I think it was pretty funny:

As a conductor on the WDW Railroad, I have to give live safety warnings at each station. Because my department is very big on "performance theming," I try to match my speil to the station.

While at Main Street, I simply ask that young guests be seated in the middle of the seat. (Unlike the Disneyland RR, the WDW RR has benches that run crossways, very much like the Main Street Trolleys.) Frontierland is easy, as it's not possible to be too country. Trust me, I've tried.

At Frontierland, I usually say, "If you got any younuns under the age of seven, stuff 'em in the middle of the seat where the bears can't get 'em." While this normally elicits no response at all, it was not the right phrase to use on Gay Day, and the train erupted into laughter.

"Stop that gigglin' pardners, I'm talkin' about real bears, the ones all covered with fur!" More laughter.

"Now see here, them bears can get real nasty when they're riled up!" More laughter yet.

I finally admitted defeat and sent us on our way with the observation, "Some folks have a real queer way of lookin' at things." I count myself lucky nobody fell off the train while laughing so hard.

(If you don't get the joke, ask a gay friend. If you don't have a gay friend, make one.)

Zazu

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Beware of the Bears!

Post by Dante101 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:07 am

Zazu wrote:(If you don't get the joke, ask a gay friend. If you don't have a gay friend, make one.)
I made one out of clay, but he ain't talkin'! Did I follow the directions correctly???

Weeble
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Weeble » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:09 am

Excellent! I loved working "gay nights" at D-land, everyone was having a blast! I remember wroking Jungle one night and when we got to the rhino with the horn up the explorer's butt, the boat erupted in such mayhem that I just grinned and gunned the throttle. No need to say a word, LOL!

:pbjtime:

Comedian and Writer
http://www.alfredmuller.com

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:20 am

That is so great! I had a few friends like that and they would have giggled too. Thanks for the smile today. :wink:

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:20 am

Ok I still don't get it. I have known a few gay people (mostly as a CM), but i have never heard that reference before. someone tell me or at least PM me the joke.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:07 am

Ok I still don't get it.
A "bear" is a term for a "big" (overweight), hairy gay guy.

The "fur" reference concerns the big gay guy being hairy, which isn't necessary for the label "bear," but it helps (as being big & hairy makes you look like a real bear).

The "riled up" part doesn't really fit. They might have laughed just 'cause they thought the unintended humor was intended as a series of inside jokes. Although you might infer this joke relating to a drama queen.

The last line (queer way of lookin' at things) is self-explaining.

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Beware of the Bears!

Post by NemoRanger » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Zazu wrote:The first Saturday in June is always Gay Day at the Magic Kingdom. It's not a normal day, but that's what I like about it. Half the guests are wearing red, and all have come looking for a good time. Guests who can't handle this much reality are put in vans and shipped off to other -- presumably less gay -- parks.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a stupid trick, but after due consideration (and confirmation my supervision didn't hear it), I think it was pretty funny:

As a conductor on the WDW Railroad, I have to give live safety warnings at each station. Because my department is very big on "performance theming," I try to match my speil to the station.

While at Main Street, I simply ask that young guests be seated in the middle of the seat. (Unlike the Disneyland RR, the WDW RR has benches that run crossways, very much like the Main Street Trolleys.) Frontierland is easy, as it's not possible to be too country. Trust me, I've tried.

At Frontierland, I usually say, "If you got any younuns under the age of seven, stuff 'em in the middle of the seat where the bears can't get 'em." While this normally elicits no response at all, it was not the right phrase to use on Gay Day, and the train erupted into laughter.

"Stop that gigglin' pardners, I'm talkin' about real bears, the ones all covered with fur!" More laughter.

"Now see here, them bears can get real nasty when they're riled up!" More laughter yet.

I finally admitted defeat and sent us on our way with the observation, "Some folks have a real queer way of lookin' at things." I count myself lucky nobody fell off the train while laughing so hard.

(If you don't get the joke, ask a gay friend. If you don't have a gay friend, make one.)
I love the Bears. Every year I try to make it over to Country Bear Jamboree for the 1pm show. The bears always pack the house. Its the only time of year they have an extended Que. This year there was an awesome CM named Ben who got the crowd all worked up, singing and dancing the hokey pokey. Its great fun.

Its also the only time of year the CBJ turn into a sing a long. I love it.