Boy dies on Rock and Roller Coaster

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Boy dies on Rock and Roller Coaster

Post by IndyandMarion » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:45 pm

I don't have the energy to read all of those posts but here's the deal (apparently) about why there isn't an AED at attractions (In this case coaster)

Simply put:
Reedy Creek has a small station at each of the parks. Because of this, there isn't a need for the AEDs because of the quick and short response time of RC to any scene at any location. Or so I was told by a manager at Coaster when I was there helping the cast out. Even though they tried to pull one over on me, I still felt it right to help them out in the time of need.

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:18 am

Getting back to the health scan thing, I agree that an older, more experienced doctor with a stethoscope could probabaly discover the heart problem much more cheaply. But the reality is: 1.) There aren't enough old, experienced doctors around, 2.) the average doctor has only 15 minutes to spend with each patient, and 3.) when you have all these high-tech toys floating around, it's hard to avoid being tempted to use them. Heck, I've heard of these younger doctors trying to use them to diagnose appendecitis--in fact, I read somewhere once that some doctors actually did waste time with a CAT scan on a guy with classic signs of appendecitis, and by the time they figured out what he had, his appendix burst and he died of periontonitis. (sp?) I think they're training these younger doctors to look for the exotic stuff and overlook the more common stuff. I mean, even I know that if someone is suffering from nausea, vomiting, and pain in their lower right groin, and their abdominal muscles are like a board, there's not a whole lot of other conditions that are anything other than appendicitis. (No, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on T.V.) :D:

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:38 pm

EpcotGolfer wrote:so you want a theme park filled with zombie-guests?

ps - an autopsy is performed after someone dies...
Psstt...that was the joke. Pass it on.

SandrA9810
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SandrA9810 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:40 am

There is a class on CPR and the AED that one attraction does have to go to, and that's Tom Sawyer Island, because they would be the first ones able to get over there, because the only way across is the rafts.
That's where my best friend is, and she had to go to the class and she had to do custodial training because they don't go over to the island.

WhirlWindSpin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by WhirlWindSpin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:14 pm

Cool. Disney's gonna get blamed again for something not their fault. :|

It is not Fast Track, it is Test Track. It is not Orgasmic, it is Fantasmic. It is not Innovations, it is Innoventions. It is not Disney Zoo, it is Animal Kingdom. It is not Network Neighborhood, it is Global Neighborhood.

justinandrew
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by justinandrew » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:15 am

I don't think Disney is responsible to take action when something isn't there fault. But you will notice that when something is there fault, i.e. the '85 incident when the Columbia killed a CM and two guests, and the more recent 2003 death of Marcelo Torres on Big Thunder (with no fault of the injured/killed), Disney takes HUGE steps to fix the problem and make sure its fixed. Like overhauling saftey regulations for the entire country after Columbia, and replacing and entire ride system after the Thunder incident.
Disney is looking out for its consumer. It see's so many guests every day it can't be blamed for people who don't look out for themselves. Rest assure, if your hurt, and its not your fault, Disney will actually spend as much money as neccessary to fix the problem.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:38 am

justinandrew wrote:Rest assure, if your hurt, and its not your fault, Disney will actually spend as much money as neccessary to fix the problem.
Tell that to my knee that is permanently messed up because of a fall because there was water all over the exit off the tram. A painted smooth surface is like skating on ice when wet.

Tell that to my back when cast members would not stop guest from driving full speed into the back of othe cars on the Autopia. They did nothing about that.
=======

The deaths are sad but was is sad is that the parks are spotlighted negatively for something beyond their control. They cannot demand Cat scans and medical record nor can they tell a parent that their super tall kid cannot ride even though the kid is immature physically and does not have the strength to ride the ride. I been hurt at parks so many times but most times it is totally not their fault like a fat lady trying to get into a canal boat, rainy weather and incompetent guests. I wish they would stop making such a deal of these injuries and deaths.

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:27 am

mechurchlady wrote: Tell that to my back when cast members would not stop guest from driving full speed into the back of othe cars on the Autopia. They did nothing about that.
Well, I don't know how long ago you went on Autopia and this happened, but I know lots of people that have worked it in the past (2000 and more recently) and they do all they can to convince people it's a bad idea to bump but short of having a CM on every car, there's not a lot that the CMs can do about it.

Now Disney doing nothing about the injury, well that's another story that I have no knowledge of.

justinandrew
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Guest, you are responsible for Y-O-U

Post by justinandrew » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:35 pm

Imagine how many people have ridden that ride since it has oppened. An estimated 515 people have visited the park alone, so we can make the assumption that some people didn't ride at all while others have ridden multiple times, so a good estimat would be over 515 million. If 514,999,999 people have ridden without serious back injury, and you were the first one, doesn't it seem like this could have been at some fault of yours? I have been on the ride at least 25 times, and have had similar experiences, and so has my 60 year old father (that has had surgery on his back a good number of times due to a boating accident) and he never was "injured" by the ride. The cars just simply don't excelerate fast enough to injure anyone. While you slipping in water... I see this as you not looking out for yourself. It seems like guest in the park expect to be able to walk around blind folded and if they trip on a sidewalk that has ALWAYS been there, its the parks fault. Though you are on property, you are responsible for your well being. It was be entirely differant you were standing next to the Columbia and the post it was anchored to came loose and hit you in the head killing you, or if you were riding a ride when it came dislodged from its track, but you not looking where you were going is really no fault of Disney. It sounds like you didn't even need medical attention, or didn't even call for the Disney EMT's, so I cant see these injuries as being too serious.
This post has been really long, but I can't stand people who aren't looking out for themselves and decide to shift the blame onto others. Or simply decide after an accident they were hurt to either get simpathy or some sort of monetary compensation.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Guest, you are responsible for Y-O-U

Post by BRWombat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:21 pm

justinandrew wrote:Imagine how many people have ridden that ride since it has oppened.
Or simply decide after an accident they were hurt to either get simpathy or some sort of monetary compensation.
Good post, and chock full of common sense. Unfortunately, this disqualifies you from ever being a personal injury attorney.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter