Universal Management Lets Guest Get Away With Battery

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Skovdaddy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Universal Management Lets Guest Get Away With Battery

Post by Skovdaddy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:01 am

One of my friends at Shrek got into a very nasty guest situation today, where a guest was demanding "Front of the Line" access with his Express pass. My friend, who was at our clicker position at the front of the line, did not let the guest in the front of the line, and instead directed him to the express entrance. The man jumped over the queue, and my co-worker closed the doors shut to keep the guest out.

It was this time when the guest grabbed my friends hat off of his head, then snatched the clicker out of his hand, hurting my friends finger in the process. After the guest had my friend's hat and clicker, he threw them across the street in a rant. He then called my friend, who is African American, a nigger. All of this was done in plain sight of many guests, and several other attendants.

Now security was called and they pulled the guest aside. The on duty manager came, and told my friend to go to lunch. Although he asked, my friend was never given a chance to talk to security, to tell them that he wanted to press charges. When my friend gets back from lunch, he finds out that the manager had just released the guest back into the park! When my friend demanded to speak with the manager, she told him that nothing could be done because she had already let the guest go. You can not imagine how furious this made me when I found out.

Battery is the unlawful and unwanted touching or striking of one person by another, with the intention of bringing about a harmful or offensive contact. Battery happened to my friend today, and he could have pressed police charges. But Universal decides to release this guest back into the park, then put my friend in THE SAME OUTSIDE OPEN POSITION HE WAS IN BEFORE, where this guest can walk right back up to him and knock him out if he feels like it.

If a guest ever touches me in a harmful way, I'm calling 911 on my cell phone. I'm not wasting my time with Universal Management or Security.

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Universal Management Lets Guest Get Away With Battery

Post by PirateJohn » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:51 am

Tell the employee to sue the *@$%! out of Universal.

WhirlWindSpin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by WhirlWindSpin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:51 am

PirateJohn wrote:Tell the employee to sue the *@$%! out of Universal.
:P Good idea!

I always keep my cell turned on at Seabreeze. >_> Never know when the goths will attack you because they want 6 people in a Bobsleds car. o_o

It is not Fast Track, it is Test Track. It is not Orgasmic, it is Fantasmic. It is not Innovations, it is Innoventions. It is not Disney Zoo, it is Animal Kingdom. It is not Network Neighborhood, it is Global Neighborhood.

EpcotGolfer
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by EpcotGolfer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:32 am

In this situation, it would have probably been best for your friend to not have taken no for an answer in regards to having them talk to security, or request to talk to an Orange County Sherrif's Deputy (or Orlando City Police, whoever has jurisdiction up there). If they still refuse, tell them that you're going to call 911 on your own (according to the Sherrif Department's website, this is an acceptible instance to use 911 for). I'm sure that would change the manager's mind.

WhirlWindSpin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by WhirlWindSpin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:12 pm

Our security actually does something. :O Guess that's rare, eh?

It is not Fast Track, it is Test Track. It is not Orgasmic, it is Fantasmic. It is not Innovations, it is Innoventions. It is not Disney Zoo, it is Animal Kingdom. It is not Network Neighborhood, it is Global Neighborhood.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:50 am

Last year, when I was working at Knott's, a guest attacked me, straining my right wrist. Management, security and Buena Park P.D. all took my statement, and the cops informed me of my options; I chose to have the guest and the others in her party arrested for assault and battery. The workman's comp carrier later called, told me the last name of the assailant, but some time later, when I went to BPPD to get a copy of the report, they said I had to contact the detective. I was given a business card of the detective, and called, leaving a message, but never heard back. I have emailed twice, no results. I mean, the cops told me the guest admitted starting the fight, attacking me on purpose, why can't I get a copy of the police report? :confused: :mad: Our rent just went up to an obscene amount, I lost my new job of nearly two months, and we're going to have to move back to L.A. to care for my uncle who has stage 4 cancer. :( If they confessed, and I pressed charges and had them arrested, why can't I get ahold of somebody and get a copy of the police report? Over a year is too long. Six months, in fact, is too long. I know they only have like a few detectives, and there's quite a lot of crime here in OC, but how can it take this long? Anybody have any ideas? BTW, I didn't get the first name, and the last name is too common.

WhirlWindSpin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by WhirlWindSpin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:58 am

[quote="felinefan"]Last year, when I was working at Knott's, a guest attacked me, straining my right wrist. Management, security and Buena Park P.D. all took my statement, and the cops informed me of my options]
...wow. :rolleyes:

gurgi
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by gurgi » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:38 am

[quote="felinefan"]Last year, when I was working at Knott's, a guest attacked me, straining my right wrist. Management, security and Buena Park P.D. all took my statement, and the cops informed me of my options]

I'd try taking the next step up the ladder rung. If it's been more then 2 months I'd say you have been patient enough, especially with a confession.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:28 am

felinefan wrote:The workman's comp carrier later called, told me the last name of the assailant, but some time later, when I went to BPPD to get a copy of the report, they said I had to contact the detective. I was given a business card of the detective, and called, leaving a message, but never heard back. I have emailed twice, no results. I mean, the cops told me the guest admitted starting the fight, attacking me on purpose, why can't I get a copy of the police report? :confused: :mad: Our rent just went up to an obscene amount, I lost my new job of nearly two months, and we're going to have to move back to L.A. to care for my uncle who has stage 4 cancer. :( If they confessed, and I pressed charges and had them arrested, why can't I get ahold of somebody and get a copy of the police report?
If a year has past not sure you have rights in CA. any longer. From a case I had... you can't call & E mail for the report in OC. You need to go to BPPD & ask when the detective will be in. If this doesn't work go to chief of BPPD & ask for an interview with the detective. Camping out at BPPD is always an option. Obtaining police reports from detectives in OC seems a challenge for even the brightest. Good Luck!!

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Monorail Black
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Monorail Black » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Disney's security can be fairly selective sometimes. Or at least the supervisors can be. A number of times working in Rails we had somebody get pushed or just receive a terrible verbal bashing from a guest, only to have the sup end up apologizing to the guest and giving them a fruit basket or comps to a character breakfast. We had one CM get pushed into the monorail as it was pulling in and the sup didn't do a thing to the guest. Just "oh, well" and the CM was out two months on medical leave with back problems.