Hmm... good idea to apply for CP?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
WhirlWindSpin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Hmm... good idea to apply for CP?

Post by WhirlWindSpin » Tue May 30, 2006 10:53 pm

:P Think it'd be a good idea for me to apply for WDWCP? (excuse any grammar errors, its midnight and my apostrophe key isn't working well >_>)

It is not Fast Track, it is Test Track. It is not Orgasmic, it is Fantasmic. It is not Innovations, it is Innoventions. It is not Disney Zoo, it is Animal Kingdom. It is not Network Neighborhood, it is Global Neighborhood.

Dack48
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Hmm... good idea to apply for CP?

Post by Dack48 » Wed May 31, 2006 1:13 am

In a word, yes. Which school do you go to? I may be able to put you in touch with the campus rep who goes there.

~Innoventions- its many things, but theres one thing its not, its Na-Ta-Ride!~

Tara_Lee3
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tara_Lee3 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:02 pm

it's an interesting experience and I'm not sorry I did it, but if you go for it I have three suggestions:

Insist on actually working IN THE PARKS. -- If you don't there is every likelyhood that you'll end up at the "Disney Value Resorts" Peeling the gum off the tables in the food court or worse.

Bring your own car. -- The shuttles BITE, and you'll pretty much be stuck in disney territory your whole program.

DO NOT bring any type of credit card. -- It is possible to live on the peanuts they pay you. Of course, you'll generally be eating tuna sandwiches for weeks at a time, and your main source of entertainment will be seeing how many rides you can cram into one day. But if you have any sort of plastic money you'll get in over your head and end up regretting it for the years it'll take you to get it all payed off.

"How much are the mugs? Well the 13 large signs at eye level all say the mugs are $12.99.. so I'm gonna go with that."

WhirlWindSpin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by WhirlWindSpin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:29 pm

Tara_Lee3 wrote:it's an interesting experience and I'm not sorry I did it, but if you go for it I have three suggestions:

Insist on actually working IN THE PARKS. -- If you don't there is every likelyhood that you'll end up at the "Disney Value Resorts" Peeling the gum off the tables in the food court or worse.

Bring your own car. -- The shuttles BITE, and you'll pretty much be stuck in disney territory your whole program.

DO NOT bring any type of credit card. -- It is possible to live on the peanuts they pay you. Of course, you'll generally be eating tuna sandwiches for weeks at a time, and your main source of entertainment will be seeing how many rides you can cram into one day. But if you have any sort of plastic money you'll get in over your head and end up regretting it for the years it'll take you to get it all payed off.
Okay.
*puts in mental note folder*

It is not Fast Track, it is Test Track. It is not Orgasmic, it is Fantasmic. It is not Innovations, it is Innoventions. It is not Disney Zoo, it is Animal Kingdom. It is not Network Neighborhood, it is Global Neighborhood.

EpcotGolfer
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by EpcotGolfer » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:30 am

Another help: don't say that you'd be willing to work in every department just because you're afraid that you won't get placed at all if you don't. I know some people who did that, and they ended up in jobs they hated (like outdoor foods or Quick Service Foods). It seems like the best place for CPs to work would be attractions, entertainment, merchandise, or maybe the water parks/recreation (if you don't mind being out in the sun all day). Most other departments I've heard treat CPs worse than usual.

Also, if you know you want to work at Disney World for longer than 6 months, it's probably a better idea to move down here and start full-time. The pay is (a little) better, you'll get treated better, you have a wider range of job openings, and you can start building seniority/benefits. It's what I wish I had done in the first place

Main_Street_Merch
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Main_Street_Merch » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:06 am

Ditto everything above! I'm a full time cast member now, but I don't regret doing the college program. But it's what you make it. If you are doing the program for an easy term or two off of school and plan on partying (there are many who do) please don't waste our time. If you plan on coming and working and learning, then definatly do it!

Tips if you do the program:

1. Get to check in early and request Chatham Square apartments. Vista Way apartments suck.

2. Know what you are getting into. WDWCPINFO is a great resource.

3. Don't do anything stupid while on the program. (For example, underage drinking on property) It's easy to stay out of trouble, but for some reason stupidity is the highest CP termination offence.

Former: MK & Studios Guest Relations, Pirate's League Opening Team, MK, Studios, & DAK Events, Dream Squad, Entertainment, Typhoon Deep Lifeguard, Africa Ops: WLE and KSR, Main Street East Merch.
Briefly: Disneyland Cast Activities.

pixieprincess
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by pixieprincess » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:45 pm

First post..thanks for the CP tips, I just applied for a few Professional Internships and am applying in Sept. for the Spring '07 CP. Additional question...what's a good placement request for a person who uses a wheelchair and is fluent in American Sign Language? Any suggestions?

EpcotGolfer
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by EpcotGolfer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:49 am

pixieprincess wrote:First post..thanks for the CP tips, I just applied for a few Professional Internships and am applying in Sept. for the Spring '07 CP. Additional question...what's a good placement request for a person who uses a wheelchair and is fluent in American Sign Language? Any suggestions?
Using a wheelchair would mean that most of the attractions are off-limits (especially in the MK). Almost all of the track-based ride systems require CMs to do a "track walk" at opening and/or in case of evacuation, and these walkways are almost always not wheelchair-accessible. The only "ride" that I've actually seen a CM use a wheelchair at was the Universe of Energy, though I suppose it could work at Mission: Space and Soarin' too. Star Tours is out because you have to walk up and down the stairs of the cabin each flight to check the ramps and seatbelts. Most merchandise locations I would imagine are wheelchair-friendly, as well as front-desk and the like. If you really want to go to Attractions, if you talk to your recruiter, I bet he/she would know of more areas that are wc-friendly than I do.

I'm sure the ASL would be a big help anywhere. Make sure when you get to WDW that you take the test to get the nametag sign saying you know ASL. It really helps guests and CMs alike.

pixieprincess
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by pixieprincess » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:45 pm

Epcot Golfer-
Thanks so much for the information. ASL is my second language as in I use it everyday so I am glad to know it would be a help at WDW. Great tips on what to ask the recruiter. I appreciate the information. :)