CM's that got fired.

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: CM's that got fired.

Post by felinefan » Thu May 08, 2008 12:41 am

Well, it used to be against the law, but we older workers were sold out by somebody with enough pull to make it happen. Now, it's virtually impossible to prove age discrimination, and you have to have your case proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to have any chance of winning. But clever lawyers for corporations know how to delay things, and they can make you run out of money or give up with your case. The thing is, employers are sold on the fresh, young, new jazz that they think people my age can't or won't adapt to changing technology, and they also want to pay as little as possible. Weolder folks, whose years of experience make us more valuable, are too expensive for most companies. Seriously, check out the forum I mentioned in my last post. It's a shocker. And if you want to see where I think this is all headed, Google the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire; they wanted cheap immigrant labor too, cut corners on safety, and at that time they could get away with it. And look what happened. I feel something like that is going to happen in the near future, and it could be even worse.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu May 08, 2008 1:11 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:But isn't age discrimination against the law? I would think that people would want to hire older workers, they get the benefits of the experience and work ethic that older workers tend to bring to the table. Not to mention that typically workers just starting at a company get paid less, and older workers will probably retire earlier meaning that they will be paid less when they leave the company than somebody who makes a long career of it. Of course, my generation tends to have multiple jobs, so that is less likely to happen. I would think the employers are opening themselves up to big lawsuits if they are not hiring older workers.
Age discrimination is the hardest to prove, as you hve to get company data that shows a pattern of hiring practices that show an age bias, but the problem is, tht if a company includes an interview, and the older applicant "fails" that, how do you prove it?

I was a witness to a discrimination case a few years ago, and the lawyer that was handling the case had some amazing stories of the lengths a company will go to, to cover their tracks, and it is all legal!

sad, as some previous posts said, the older workers have a lot to offer.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

ectomstr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ectomstr » Thu May 08, 2008 1:41 am

I've seen it. I've been apart of it. And I'm in my 20's!

A few years back I worked for Chili's. I applied to be a server at a brand new, about to open restaurant. They were filled on servers but allowed me to become a To-Go person with promise of cross-training me into serving. I had 2 years of server experience and had just turned 21 earlier in the year. Needless to say, I was competing with High Schoolers for hours/tips and when one of then girls turned 18-WHAM she was made a server over me. Someone with experience and who can actually taste and describe the alcoholic beverages we served wasn't chosen over someone who NEVER served and couldn't come in legal contact with alcohol for another 3 years. I was stunned, hurt and angry at this. Even moreso when they did it a second time just before I moved.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Thu May 08, 2008 2:09 am

That just blows my mind. I guess the job market in my hometown is good or the employers are just really understanding. Back in 2000 my father retired from the state government, having met the qualifications for full retirement. (age + number of years working there has to equal a certain number). He was in his early 50s and got a job as a business analyst working with computers at a company that serves as a go between for mutual funds and software companies. He left that job after two years and now works for another company that has a contract to design a database for a state agency. He didn't even apply anywhere else, he had absolutely no trouble finding a job even though he is now in his late 50's.

Petite and Proud!

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Thu May 08, 2008 8:44 am

felinefan wrote: I have seen Disney CMs riding Metrolink trains; does DLR pay for bus/train passes? Just curious. If I had a good shot at costuming or anything else that had zero or very little guest contact, I'd consider applying. One more thing--doesn't DLR have a shuttlebus that runs from the Anaheim Metrolink station to the park? I think I checked and it did, but things can change.
I took Metrolink into Anaheim a few times, but I left my car in Anaheim and took the train into LA for the day, then came back for my night shift at DLH. I don't ever recall there being a DLR shuttle from the Anaheim Metrolink station to DLR, and even if there was, it most likely only benefits the folks at TDA who work 9-5 jobs. I'm positive there is a shuttle from the Burbank Metrolink station to the Walt Disney Studios - my wife's aunt takes it - but again that only benefits those who work 9-5 jobs.

I honestly can't remember if Disney paid partially for a bus pass, or fully paid for them, or if they just sold them at a discounted price. They could easily have changed their policy in the 2+ years I've been gone.

Unfortunately, a lot of these "alternative transportation" modes that Disney goes out of its way to promote mainly benefit white-collar CMs.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Thu May 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Why would Disney pay for shuttles and stuff for all CMs? It is the responsibility of the employee to get to work. Sure, they do provide free transportation for CPs, but that is because it is an inernship position. If you have a PI, you have to provide your own transportation.

Petite and Proud!

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Thu May 08, 2008 3:05 pm

EeyoresButterfly wrote:Why would Disney pay for shuttles and stuff for all CMs? It is the responsibility of the employee to get to work. Sure, they do provide free transportation for CPs, but that is because it is an inernship position. If you have a PI, you have to provide your own transportation.
You're absolutely right. Ultimately it's not Disney's responsibility to get all its CMs/employees to work - it's the CM's/employee's responsibility. I'm pretty sure I signed a paper agreeing to this when Disney hired me both times.

But as a large employer in Southern California, Disney is required by law to promote alternative commute options and conduct annual surveys of how much of its workforce is carpooling, taking the bus/train, etc. And I'm sure that plenty of CMs do. Unfortunately, many of those alternative commuting options are out of the question for park operations CMs because of the late and/or early hours they have to work, especially as new hires. Then you get the white-collar TDA folks who respond to these commuting surveys by saying how great Disney's Commuter Assistance program is, when it really benefits only them, not the majority of CMs.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

Ottar
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ottar » Thu May 08, 2008 4:08 pm

I've seen two people get fired...

First one must be some sort of record holder for shortest time as a CM ever...
At Disney University during the first hour of Traditions, a guy arrived ten minutes late and sat down beside me. He didnt bother saying anything to the CM who was in front of us demonstrating the use of our ID cards - he just sat down. Then, after the first break at half past nine in the morning, he was again five minutes late because he didnt want to put out his cigarette, and this time the Traditions CM reacted to him when he entered, saying "the others got their IDs from the manager already - go over to his office". The latecomer sighed and left the room.

Never came back. Must have been told to take his bags and go home to Spain the day after he arrived in Paris... :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

The second guy did one of those things that will not only get you fired but also damn near lynched... He stole from a fellow CM. And not even anything of value but a beat-up old diabolo from one of the jugglers I used to work with! Me and a team leader caught up with him as he attempted to leave the backstage and disappear in the crowd onstage. I blocked the onstage door, telling him "You are not getting out this way. And I recommend you do not try that other door either.". As I was quite a bit heavier than he was, he apparently took my advice and started running back into the backstage, hoping to lose us on foot. Thankfully, the team leader had gotten hold of a bicycle and could easily follow him while calling Security to their location.
The guy was fired for stealing a 15€ diabolo... Talk about a stupid reason to lose your job! I bet that didnt look too good on his record, either, since Disney's legal department nearly always presses charges against CMs who commit crimes against other CMs...

In Walt's days, quality and capacity did not compete.

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:47 am

Lots of good employees got fired for lap bar violations on the Mummy at USH. They gave a clear signal before they checked the bars.

Leads talking on their cell phone while in the control booth (with a big a$$ window) [ only leads can work in the control room]

Leads dispatching vehicles with the bars up, during AM test run.

On the ride track during Evac with out tagging out. The ride starts up again, hey who is that (seen on monitor). Termed.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:36 am

On the Monorails, we have parking tags, which means you have to stop the train within a very small area within a station, or you can't open the doors.

My trainer was telling me the other day about the reason for the parking tags. Apparently, there was a pilot who stopped with Car 6 sitting outside MK station, with guests inside.