Knotts Cast Scores!

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Knotts Cast Scores!

Post by Zazu » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:26 pm

One of my managers recently took a week's vacation from WDW and visited Southern California. He really needed the time off -- he's close to burnout -- and he vowed not to set foot in Anaheim as a result.

Instead, he visited Knotts. What he found there knocked him over.

He was astounded that the cast were polite, smiling, and focused on safety and fun. He thought the grounds were cleaner and better maintained than his own park, and would have handed out Great Service Fanatic cards to all of you.

Wrote up a long report on the flight back and stood up at the next departmental staff meeting and basically read everyone there (including *his* boss) the riot act about how Cedar Fair was kicking our butt in the field we invented.

He's still talking about it a week later. You guys made a *big* impression on him.

Way to go KBF! Here's your gold star: :star:

Zazu

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Knotts Cast Scores!

Post by GMC » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:39 pm

Kudos KBF, last time i went was with a former employee, who knew just about everyone, so it was a different experience for me,

Gimme some soft serve!

RidePhoto101
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by RidePhoto101 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:27 am

As a Cedar Fair employee, I can honestly say that Cedar Fair's primary focus is guest safety and satisfaction. Our entire first day of work is spent in orientation learning about guest satisfaction and the proper Cedar Fair way of doing things. I find that most employees are very accomidating to guests and go out of their way to please a guest in need.

Employees who go out of their way to please guests, keep the park clean, and work their hardest are honored monthly with the Cornerstone award. In my division of approximately 800 employees, only 2-3 employees per month are given the Cornerstone award. These employees get a special Cornerstone pin to wear on their uniforms as well as special recognition in the employee cafeteria with their photo on the wall.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:09 pm

It seems to be working. A week later and my supervisor is *still* raving about Cedar Fair and Knotts!

Zazu

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PirateJohn » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:39 pm

I've discovered that at least where I am there is far too little recognition of superior work. We have Spirit Awards, but it's usually the managers who get those, and RO's have to be beyond outstanding to achieve that level. The only awards left over that are geared toward the RO's are the Mouscars, and those are offered only once a year and are awarded by fellow cast members.

The only ongoing rewards are the "Mouscar Moola" but with rare exception the only time I have ever gotten that is for getting high ride counts. I've still never gotten any formal recognition for all the things I'm very well known for doing for the benefit of the guests.

Where is the incentive for CM's to excel?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:04 pm

PirateJohn wrote:I've discovered that at least where I am there is far too little recognition of superior work. Where is the incentive for CM's to excel?
Don't feel like Disney is the only place where superior work goes unrecognized. I worked in Silicon Valley for many years and for many companies. Stock options are the coin of the realm. Before the crash a few years ago many people would say, "Pay checks cover the bills but the real payoff is the options."

The problem was that unless you were a real star or really tight with management, the options never seemed to filter down to the working schmoes. It was always fun when rumors of new grants got out to question your manager about how many you were going to get. Talk about a shuck and jive.

The last company I worked for before pulling the plug was a little bit different. My manager, who went from manager to VP in the four years I worked for him (talk about connected) was really good about spreading the wealth around. I liked what I was doing but the options really helped my morale.

It's amazing what a little recognition and bucks do for morale.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Tropter
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Tropter » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:46 pm

Zazu mind if I (Knott's Employee) show this to my supervisors?

I'd give my right arm to be ambedextrious

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:41 pm

Tropter wrote:Zazu mind if I (Knott's Employee) show this to my supervisors?
Be my guest. They've earned the praise. If they want, I'll try to get them an email line to the manager they impressed.

Zazu

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:11 am

Thank you Zazu for your post! :D:

I have been working at Knott's for several years and it's nice to hear positive things about our park. I feel sometimes we are overshadowed by the "park down the road".
I am going to post a copy of this on our shop's bulletin board and give a copy of this to my supervisor.

Again Thank you!

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:36 am

PirateJohn wrote:Where is the incentive for CM's to excel?
A bazillion years ago, one of my merchandise co-workers took it upon himself to create an award - The Happy Person of the Month award. It got rotated around our department, but it was for people who were not only decent to the guests, but not overly obnoxious with pixie dust. Once he quit, the trophy went away... Kind of nice having recognition from your peers rather than the people who dangle you on a string...

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]