Discrimination...on Smokers?

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
DPRSSDNKY
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Discrimination...on Smokers?

Post by DPRSSDNKY » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:45 am

Okay, I don't know how big of a deal this is, but it bugged me and what better place to rant about it than here! I was working Critter County the other day and I come out onstage by Splash and I see a guy smoking right there. :dope: So I give him the spiel about designated smoking and he needs to put it out and he says "well I just lit it, I'm not going to put it out" I said, well you are going to have to because you aren't allowed to smoke here. So he finally does and has the nerve to wink at me when he walks away. I mean it is probably funny to have some chick dressed as Heidi tell you not to smoke there, but don't bat your eye at me, just move it. :rolleyes:

Later, I had to stop another person from smoking in the same spot, a woman, and while she was kneeling down to put out her cigarette (she didn't want to waste the precious nicotine) her group is like "did you find something" and she says that I am discriminating against smokers. I should of said "No I am discriminating against you because you are Indian and I believe in White Pride!" :mad: (Note: please don't take offense to that, I just used it as an example because it is so absurd). I am just trying to do my job and possibly protect the lungs of non-smoking people (myself included). I should have told her that Christopher Robin died of lung cancer from second hand smoke and that is why he doesn't come out to see the children anymore. I could fake tears if needed...

The sign doesn't say "Welcome to Disneyland, the Happiest Ashtray on Earth"

Okay I am done now. ::puts soap box away::

For the last time, yes the birds are real...

If all the world's a stage, I want a better agent...

:eeyore: Where's Eeyore movie?

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Discrimination...on Smokers?

Post by BirdMom » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:34 am

I don't think you understand what it's like to be a smoker, kiddo. I quit about 14 years ago, but when I originally hired in, we were allowed to smoke in the breakrooms, inside the rides, inside people's offices and so on. It's just that legislation is making places to smoke harder and harder to find - and it is an addiction - your body physically needs the nicotine. You don't get nicotine, you get the shakes and you get cranky. It would be compassionate of you if you could understand that portion of it and try to be a little less of a crusader on a soapbox when you ask people (nicely, I hope) to put their cigarettes out. There is nothing harder than quitting, and I can attest to that. It probably took nearly a dozen attempts in over 10 years for me to quit for good, so I can sympathize with people who need a "fix." Roll your eyes if you must, make a joke out of the policy, but try to be nicer about it - tell them "they make me do this." That way, it's not you being the big, bad smoking police. Granted, I know the smoke smells icky coming your way when you don't want it in your face, but it's a personal habit (albeit a smelly one) - not a moral crusade :rolleyes: A little compassion would be more becoming and helpful when dealing with people's habits in this case.

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:07 am

I understand completely. Though I have never smoked I watched my Dad all my life struggle with the addiction of smoking. My boyfriend just quit and I am helping him through it. My Dad is what keeps me from trying it. As for telling people they can't smoke somewhere? I'm appologetic till they get snippy with me.

I usually say "I'm sorry but there is no smoking in the park except in designated areas. The nearest area is <insert nearest location here>. But I am going to have to ask you to put that out." If they give me lip about public space yada yada its "Actually sir/ma'am this is private property and we have designated areas for smoking"

Hey the Tram does say "There is no smoking except in designated areas" The areas are marked on the map and most cast members know where they are. Though I usually get the question "Where is the smoking area?"

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PirateJohn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:36 pm

I've found that the words "you can't" can always be replaced by "you can" if you're clever enough.

I'll never say to someone "you can't smoke here." I simply approach them and say, "the nearest smoking area is (wherever)." They figure the rest out by themselves.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:24 pm

Polar33 wrote: I overheard a Security CM tell a guest who was smoking to put it out and move to a smoking area and then she said to the guest "personally, I'd like to see smoking banned from the park completely". I was rather shocked that she would say that to the guest...now, that's someone who might be discriminating against smokers.
I would have to agree with you on that one, Polar. It's so easy for some people to cop a self-righteous attitude about smoking if they've avoided the habit. I kind of think good for you, but please don't be a jerk about it. As it is, sometimes we feel our power, being in costume, having a nametag on and being able to tell people what to do - some of us take ourselves a wee bit too seriously in the guise of giving direction. I've done it myself, getting more caught up in the task of getting guests through the crossover quickly, forgetting that they are human and curious and wanting to see the show that they didn't bother to line up early for.

Yes, it is private property, yes there are now injunctions against smoking in a lot of places, but smokers are people first - not sinners, not defilers of you or your children. You can maneouver around someone to avoid the smoke in the downdraft. It's not like you're permantly roped to their airstream! Save your outrage for the next oil company that manages to loose millions of gallons of oil in some ocean or bay. Like Polar said, if you treat the person with pleasant good humor, it's most likely that they will not get too upset with you. The human brain automatically wants to cancel out any negative word tossed in it's direction. The minute you tell someone "you can't do that" or "don't do that," the brain hears "you do that" and "do that." It's hardwired into us. I believe they cover that little tidbit in Psych 101. ;)

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

LegoDan
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by LegoDan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:22 pm

Where i used to work, my unit lead would give the people hell for smoking in eating areas, mind you she is German and very strict about following the rules (SuDuck you should know her). It would be much easier for us to keep people from smoking where crowds are if there were smoking areas, but alas we can only enforce no smoking in queues (sorry if that's spelled wrong) and no smoking in eating areas.

"Some days it takes all you've got just to keep up with the losers."

DPRSSDNKY
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by DPRSSDNKY » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:05 pm

I understand that smokers have a physical need for the nicotine-I have 3 brothers that smoke and my dad (even though he has had tons of health problems related to it). And I was polite when I said to them (I apologized for having to tell them), I guess my tone just doesn't come off that well in here, not to mention my Tourent (please excuse the spelling) syndrome of sarcasm. My point is that I am not on a personal vendetta to persecute smokers and I just wish guests wouldn't take it that way. But I will take the advice and try to walk a mile in their shoes (even though I have big feet...) and I will try that "turn a can't into a can".

:D:

DPRSSDNKY
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by DPRSSDNKY » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:11 pm

Oh another thing- I had a guest walk into my store with a cigarette, mind you it was tiny one store, but can I still tell her to leave the store-nicely of course. I don't like it when they smoke in New Orleans either because the buildings are close together and some of the walkways are part covered, the smoke is really strong, not like out in Critter where there is open room to breath at least. Plus with the sewer running right through the Christmas store who knows when the methane will build up and KABOOM! But I might just be being dramatic. :p:

DPRSSDNKY
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by DPRSSDNKY » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:18 pm

BirdMom wrote: I kind of think good for you, but please don't be a jerk about it. As it is, sometimes we feel our power, being in costume, having a nametag on and being able to tell people what to do - some of us take ourselves a wee bit too seriously in the guise of giving direction.
I can understand this with someone in a sercuity costume, but it is hard for someone to powertrip in Heidi-wear. (Though I have seen some try) Maybe it's the blue apron with little flowers ::puts on:: Hmmm.... I feel the sudden urge to right wrongs, help little kittens, and leap over tall...wait, it's just gas.

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:14 am

LegoDan wrote:Where i used to work, my unit lead would give the people hell for smoking in eating areas, mind you she is German and very strict about following the rules (SuDuck you should know her). It would be much easier for us to keep people from smoking where crowds are if there were smoking areas, but alas we can only enforce no smoking in queues (sorry if that's spelled wrong) and no smoking in eating areas.
Yeah I know who you are talking about. She used to give me Danish from the Market. She was so awesome. Yeah I can so see her doing that. Personally I don't care where you smoke, just as long as its down wind of me, not in queues, inside or at patio for eating.

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.