Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Post by NemoRanger » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:06 pm

5th Dimension wrote:
I wish I could experience the Millennium Celebration thoroughly, I love the music and atmosphere. I don't like the legacy tombstones however.
I can't tell you how many times I have heard how much people hate those Legacy rocks. I personally always thought it was one of those clever ideas in theory but just doesnt work. Seems like everyone says it looks like a graveyard now.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:24 pm

5th Dimension wrote:I don't like the legacy tombstones however.
Fortunately, Disney was smarter with the tombstones than with the Walk Around the World bricks. They only have to keep them up for ten years after the last sale -- the brick walkways are in for twenty.

NemoRanger wrote:I can't tell you how many times I have heard how much people hate those Legacy rocks. I personally always thought it was one of those clever ideas in theory but just doesnt work.
Even the designer thinks so. He designed it based on the drawings of the area and some 3-D models. Unfortunately, nobody told him the entrance was to the sides with the exit in the middle. He expected guests to enter in the center and thus get the full impact. "Had I known, I'd have done something completely different," he wrote.

I'm omitting his name as it wasn't his fault he was kept ignorant of such matters.

Seems like everyone says it looks like a graveyard now.
This is a particular issue for guests from Eastern Europe, or such traditions, where it's common to put the photo of the deceased on their tombstone.

Most telling was the day a young guest went into a screaming panic when they tried to take her into Spaceship Earth. Once a translator was brought in, she said she was afraid because she figured the bodies from all the people on the tombstones outside were in the ball!

Yeah, that's a non-starter for a pre-show! :thumbsdn:

Zazu

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:55 pm

Cranbiz wrote:I can see our furry marsupial now.
Cut to early Rome:
I meant more like trying to sell it to John in the first scene of Carousel of Progress... Though I am sure that is one he wouldn't talk about to the guests.

As far as the rainbow tunnel and everything else wonderful from that original attraction, I've known it was still there, and I would love to go see it. If anyone knows who can and would actually let me, let me know. I'll see if we can get a group thing going.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

justafigment84
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by justafigment84 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:31 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I meant more like trying to sell it to John in the first scene of Carousel of Progress... Though I am sure that is one he wouldn't talk about to the guests.

As far as the rainbow tunnel and everything else wonderful from that original attraction, I've known it was still there, and I would love to go see it. If anyone knows who can and would actually let me, let me know. I'll see if we can get a group thing going.
I got up there once during my College Program back in 2006, but it was on The Undiscovered Future World tour that they do for guests. I managed to catch it being done by Disney University for free one time so I said why not.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:52 am

Good to know. Hmm...

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Malpass93
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Malpass93 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Zazu wrote:Fortunately, Disney was smarter with the tombstones than with the Walk Around the World bricks. They only have to keep them up for ten years after the last sale -- the brick walkways are in for twenty
Those hexagonal-shaped bricks at MK? They don't detract massively from what's ahead of you, unlike those Leave a Legacy monoliths.

In other news, I'm back on SGT, this is my first post of 2011! :eek:

Maybe someday I'll be a CM...

Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, United Kingdom...

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Zazu wrote: This is a particular issue for guests from Eastern Europe, or such traditions, where it's common to put the photo of the deceased on their tombstone.

Most telling was the day a young guest went into a screaming panic when they tried to take her into Spaceship Earth. Once a translator was brought in, she said she was afraid because she figured the bodies from all the people on the tombstones outside were in the ball!

Yeah, that's a non-starter for a pre-show! :thumbsdn:
OMG that is freaking Hilarious. It makes me wonder now what other things people from other countries think is bizarre or freaky. Today, I had woman from Paris (the real one in France) tell me that she that is horrible how CM wore white socks with black tennis shoes. Well I just didnt know how to respond to that.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 pm

NemoRanger wrote:I had woman from Paris (the real one in France) tell me that she that is horrible how CM wore white socks with black tennis shoes. Well I just didnt know how to respond to that.
I do. Call them backstage for some coaching about proper costuming. If the costume is black shoes, then wear black socks; white shoes, then get your hosiery from a baseball club on the south side of Chicago.

Zazu

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:45 am

Zazu wrote:I do. Call them backstage for some coaching about proper costuming. If the costume is black shoes, then wear black socks; white shoes, then get your hosiery from a baseball club on the south side of Chicago.
Problem is that, according to costuming guidelines, with a number of costumes if you wear shorts you wear white socks, even if the shoes are black. I think it's crazy personally but it's guidelines.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Problem is that, according to costuming guidelines, with a number of costumes if you wear shorts you wear white socks, even if the shoes are black. I think it's crazy personally but it's guidelines.
Reminds me what some wit said when observing the clashing colors on the WDW RR locomotives: "Proves that not *all* CMs are gay!"

Zazu