wheel chair/ECV question

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: wheel chair/ECV question

Post by Whazzup » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:58 pm

sstamour wrote:I decided to de-lurk to share my experience. I went to the Magic Kingdom for a couple of days back in October and used a wheelchair. I didn't get front of the line access, although there were lines where I used the alternate entrance. However, even if the wheelchair did provide me with the ability to skip the line, I'd much rather be in a position to walk.

I'm fairly young, and I look "healthy" enough. I can get up to walk when needed. People don't see that I have a congenital condition that causes all my joints to dislocate if you so much as look at them wrong, or the recently diagnosed pancreatic cancer. In fact, a lot of people don't even see me - I'm below eye level, so I might as well not exist. They talk to the rest of my party instead of me, they let their small children use my chair (and myself) as a jungle gym. The ones that do see me, half of them decide to dart directly in front of me, so much so that I am terrified of running over a small child (I put light up wheels on the chair to try and attract attention!) The worst ones are the ones who, while I am stationed in a spot for the parade, decide to come up and stand between my push handles, or even try to move me. I went in the off-season, so maybe I would feel differently in the middle of the summer, but I'd happily stand in every single line in the park to avoid being in the chair.

That all being said, WDW is one of the best places I've experienced in the chair, so much so that when I got my diagnosis, I decided that what I wanted to do was to go back. So now I'm reading to make sure I avoid being one of the SGs.
So sorry to hear of your condition and your recent diagnosis. That's tough to hear. I hope you'll be able to return to WDW soon and that it will bring light and joy and some magic into your life.

Welcome to our little world here at SGT and thanks for posting.

DDuckLover
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: wheel chair/ECV question

Post by DDuckLover » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:36 pm

sstamour wrote:I decided to de-lurk to share my experience. I went to the Magic Kingdom for a couple of days back in October and used a wheelchair. I didn't get front of the line access, although there were lines where I used the alternate entrance. However, even if the wheelchair did provide me with the ability to skip the line, I'd much rather be in a position to walk.

I'm fairly young, and I look "healthy" enough. I can get up to walk when needed. People don't see that I have a congenital condition that causes all my joints to dislocate if you so much as look at them wrong, or the recently diagnosed pancreatic cancer. In fact, a lot of people don't even see me - I'm below eye level, so I might as well not exist. They talk to the rest of my party instead of me, they let their small children use my chair (and myself) as a jungle gym. The ones that do see me, half of them decide to dart directly in front of me, so much so that I am terrified of running over a small child (I put light up wheels on the chair to try and attract attention!) The worst ones are the ones who, while I am stationed in a spot for the parade, decide to come up and stand between my push handles, or even try to move me. I went in the off-season, so maybe I would feel differently in the middle of the summer, but I'd happily stand in every single line in the park to avoid being in the chair.

That all being said, WDW is one of the best places I've experienced in the chair, so much so that when I got my diagnosis, I decided that what I wanted to do was to go back. So now I'm reading to make sure I avoid being one of the SGs.
So sorry to hear about your diagnosis, you'll be in my thoughts!

I too understand where you're coming from. I recently went into remission from bone cancer and since I'm only 24, I am young also. You definitely get "the look" when you're in a wheelchair and young. If I don't wear shorts, where you can see my scars and skin graft, people simply assume I'm lazy or don't really need the chair...you can just tell from how they look at you. :( A wheelchair was my only way of getting around for about 4.5 months, it was difficult.

People don't seem to understand that when you use a wheelchair and need it, it's like a part of your body...it's what you use to get around, just like others use their legs for walking. They will push you, bump you, and move you without even thinking. It is beyond rude. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that.

[font="Tahoma"]"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi
[/font]