Official SGT ADD thread

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Official SGT ADD thread

Post by Zazu » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Zazu wrote:Never? What if I balanced a jalepeño quesadilla on top of it all?
hobie16 wrote:Stonehenge didn't have a roof. :D:
And we know this how? It could have had a roof. Perhaps thatched. The structure looks a lot like the columns holding up Space Mountain. Or it could may have been the first geodesic sphere for all the evidence we have today. Wood rots.

Zazu

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:53 pm

darph nader wrote:So if I camp out for the 3:00 parade at 4:00,am I an hour late or 23hrs early? :confused:
That looks nasty as all get out btw hobie.
Well, since we do not allow queue to start until a couple hours before an opening or show.... and do not allow over night guests in the park (including the Castle suite), you are either confused or trying to trespass. Both will include explanations and instructions.

And yeah, hobie that is NASTY....am off bacon now cause that pic. Can you make a nasty pic of ice cream? I need to diet. :hysteria:

MAPO

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Zazu wrote:And we know this how? It could have had a roof.
Interesting question. Here's some thoughts on it.
If one looks at how a neolithic round house is built, then posts are placed into pits in the ground and the posts are connected togther in a ring (the ring is called a "wall plate") using a series of beams at about head height (e.g. see http://www.gallica.co.uk/celts/build.htm). It is important to have a strong "wall plate" so that the roof can be supported. When a roof is placed on the structure, the posts tend to bend outwards increasing the radius of the wall plate. This in turn puts each beam in the wall plate under tension. When one considers Stonehenge, it would appear that the lintels form a wall plate via the lintels and the mortice and tenon joints interconnecting them. However, putting stone under tension is not a good idea and would have led to a failure of the structure at some point. Is this the reason why a roof on stonehenge is generally regarded as a stupid idea? I have read various books on Stonehenge and even suggest that the stone structure of Stonehenge replicates that of a round house, but they could never have intended to have put a roof on the structure. However, the authors of these books don't say why.

A professional puzzle inventor has solved what he considers the oldest riddle of them all - Stonehenge.

Bruce Bedlam, 56, has built a scale model of the ancient stone circle as he believes it was originally constructed - as a round building.

The inventor, whose Bedlam Cube was featured on TV's Dragon's Den, came up with his theory some years ago but has now built a replica.

He believes that the Wiltshire monument was created with a large, domed roof made from wood and covered in wooden tiles.

Bruce believes the siting was significant and the sun would enter the interior at every solstace through one of the ten doors.

The enormous interior would have been illuminated at various times of the day and every part of the building was correlated around the number three.

The theory suggests that beams were used to create a roof that came to a point above the monument.

They were held together in place by gravity and the shape would have been accousticaly perfect, according to Bruce.

He believes it was more of a government building than a religious one and would have been where important decisions were made.

Bruce, from Bournemouth, Dorset, said: "I first saw Stonehenge in 1972 when I was in the army and later I decided to solve the puzzle.

"I knew it would take me a long time and a I drew up a list of questions and tried to find a common dnominator.

"I treated it like a large jigsaw puzzle in which many of the pieces were missing and came to the conclusion that Stonehenge must have been a building - and why not?"

"The blue stones were transported there because the people wanted to retain the power, and the roof was made from beams of wood. It all revolves around the number three.

"Connecting the beams would have been three rings of cross members.

"The first ring and largest was half the height of the building.

"The second ring of cross members was two thirds the height of the building and the third was where the roof covering would end.

"The height of the Sarsen Circle is exactly a third of the height of the building and the outside diameter is a third of the internal circumference.

"The angle of the roof is an isosceles triangle with the height of one and a base of three "If you stand in the centre of Stonehenge, the distance to the Sarsen Circle is exactly the height of the building.

"I have created 3D drawings on a computer but now I have actually built a model in a 1:50 scale.

"While building it I got some idea of how the whole thing would have been put together all those years ago.

"My theory was laughed at when I first proposed it, but over the years more people have become intrigued.

"I think the building was more for government use than religious use, but there still would have been high priests.

"I think nearby woodhenge was used as a debating chamber and people would travel to stonehenge to make the decisions."

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Before Stonehenge, there was Woodhenge and Strawhenge. But a big bad wolf came and blew them down, and three little piggies were relocated to the projects.

8^P

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:Before Stonehenge, there was Woodhenge and Strawhenge. But a big bad wolf came and blew them down, and three little piggies were relocated to the projects.

8^P
Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CYwNWHZuT0

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:Before Stonehenge, there was Woodhenge and Strawhenge. But a big bad wolf came and blew them down, and three little piggies were relocated to the projects.

8^P
:hysteria:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:55 am

mapo wrote:you are either confused or trying to trespass. MAPO
He's confused MAPO. Hands down & bet you 4 Dole Whips he's confused. ;)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Main Streeter wrote:He's confused MAPO. Hands down & bet you 4 Dole Whips he's confused. ;)
Well if you are betting four of your precious Dole Whips he must be VERY confused!

Hey that is a new way of measuring how sure one is on something...

4 Dole Whips ==> Absolutely! Positively!
3 Dole Whips ==> YES He did it
2 Dole Whips ==> Yeah, but who cares?
1 Dole Whip ==> Shrug

No Dole Whip betting? Nah, but let's blame him anyway!

MAPO

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:57 am

mapo wrote:Well if you are betting four of your precious Dole Whips he must be VERY confused!

Hey that is a new way of measuring how sure one is on something...

4 Dole Whips ==> Absolutely! Positively!
3 Dole Whips ==> YES He did it
2 Dole Whips ==> Yeah, but who cares?
1 Dole Whip ==> Shrug

No Dole Whip betting? Nah, but let's blame him anyway!

MAPO
4 Dole Whips it is Mapo! Absolutely 4. :D: Love your chart. :cool: 1 Dole made me laff. Am using it from now on. Have Shorty or BW, or each buy you 4 Doles. I'll snail them the cash. They trust me.... I think. :dolewhip:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Main Streeter wrote:4 Dole Whips it is Mapo! Absolutely 4. :D: Love your chart. :cool: 1 Dole made me laff. Am using it from now on. Have Shorty or BW, or each buy you 4 Doles. I'll snail them the cash. They trust me.... I think. :dolewhip:
ok, now wait. If that vanilla soft serve with orange juice cone thing is a Dole Whip (well that is what it looks like :D :) ...then yes! Gonna get one soon!

Pineapple? Yeah, NO. I always pass on the caramel and pineapple dessert they have/had at Ohana's. Then again, I could easily use the excuse that I was SO FULL! :p: They always think I am starving at Ohana's.

MAPO