Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Post by February » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 pm

Random things I personally miss at Epcot:

One: it being called EPCOT.

Two: The rainbow light tunnel that used to be at the Imagination pavilion.

Three: Horizons *sob*

Four: though this should be one, really- I miss SSE making all my hair stand on end. I miss the twinkly lights and pretty music at the end. I miss the future tech-- everytime I'm on Skype I think of the scene that used to be in SSE with the mother singing "go to sleep my little baby" to her child over the video screen and it seemed so unreal. Now I talk to my best friend in Australia all the time on Skype (well when it's not down...grumble...) and I always think of those old days when Epcot did make me as inspired as Wallaby talks about.

Oh, the old keepsakes I have from there-- including a paper thingie with a turn wheel that's a sort of map thing that my mother had found at the house and given me awhile back. Such cool stuff.

I loved the Millenium Celebration (the Eritrean coffee ceremony was memorable- the woman who gave us the coffee- and told us about the decades of civil war in her homeland with tears in her eyes- was unforgettable) I miss the Tapestry of Nations parade and I've NEVER liked parades. Seeing my daughter get pulled into it to dance was one of the best Disney moments ever for us.

So many memories...

Epcot is still where I love to just hang out and spend time- though I will admit that Future World is harder for me now when I'm afraid of being puked on because of people who just rode Mission Space (and it happens more than you'd think...or at least getting 'puked near').

Now that I can't ride test track any more due to my eyes...*sigh* I miss Horizons even more.

Okay, I'm sorry I guess there's not really a point to this post other than to remember times past. I found my first ever entry into EPCOT ticket the other day- from the year it opened- the price was 18.00 a day.

The other day I found the little thingie from the Leave a Legacy tile that March and I got the year after we got married and got choked up. The monument will, apparently, outlast the marriage and maybe that's the saddest thought I have about Epcot- times there that won't ever come again. But they were beautiful, perfect days, and I won't ever forget them.

~bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 am

Yes, the rainbow tunnel. And everything else that once was at Imagination.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

kerbear135
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by kerbear135 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:04 pm

I was so young the first time we visited, I don't really remember the Wonders of Life Pavillion, or Horizons, or World of Motion....but I really miss the original Journey into Imagination ride...Figment used to be so awesome...now it's just...sad...maybe they'll get such good feeback from bringing back a version of the original Tiki Room at MK and will be inspired to do the same here...it's a pipe dream, I know, but it would be awesome. Oh, and after seeing Captain lamEO (sorry to all the fans), they need to find a new movie for that theater...kids these days don't even know what Honey I Shrunk the Kids was, and as for lameEO, the 80s called and they want their terrible movie back...

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Yes, the rainbow tunnel. And everything else that once was at Imagination.
*Whispers quietly*
It's all still up there, just sitting...

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:52 pm

This is the tunnel at the top of the Waldo Grade leading into Marin County from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 am

The rainbow tunnel is gone from Imagination? When did they take that out?
EPCOT is my favorite park at Disney World. It left such an impression on me when I first visited it for the first time in 1985, that it was all I could talk about for a year.
I miss Kitchen Kaberat (I wish I had the plush), the original ride with Figment and Dreamfinder, and the fact you could buy Tokyo Disneyland souvenirs in the Japan pavillion. (Oh if I knew then what I know now!)
My family bought a tall plastic tumbler that said EPCOT Center and had orange,yellow, and red stripes. That cup was in our cupboard for years until my brother broke it. :mad: I really want to find a replacement, but so far no luck. :(

Fitswimmer
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Fitswimmer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:43 am

TiggerHappy wrote:I have heard that was the case and the reason why the Tiki Room will be a modified version of the original when it reopens.
Yep..that's what I just heard from an OPS CM over there. Her only regret was that she was on vacation when it happened and didn't get to see the torched body. :twisted:

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Not only is the Rainbow Tunnel still in place upstairs at Imagination, but so are several of the other original Image Works items.

More important, the floor for the current queue and certain other areas is not a real floor. It is build over the original tracks! And the Turntable!! So if a decision is made for real resurrection, they only have to remove the false floor and not install tracks.

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:
I don't know about you, but knowing what I do now, I would love to go back in time and have the job of selling people on indoor plumbing. "Yes. We want to move the outhouse into your hallway, and it won't stink up the whole house."
I can see our furry marsupial now.
Cut to early Rome:

Plumbing, plumbing, it moves water from here to there. It's astounding. Pipe the shit right out of your house!

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:29 pm

For me, Epcot is both a place I love to go to, and at times a shell of it's former self. Horizons and Imagination were both far superior to what is there now. Mission Space just makes me claustrophobic and dizzy, and it's the only ride I don't want to ride. Horizons had the worst fate. Spaceship Earth at least is still there, though I don't like the narration, and the ending is blah.

I wish I could experience the Millennium Celebration thoroughly, I love the music and atmosphere. I don't like the legacy tombstones however.