Angry SG attacks WDW bus driver

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Angry SG attacks WDW bus driver

Post by shilohmm » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:24 pm

BRWombat wrote: It showed up in the newspaper the next morning with the caption "[At such-and-such math tournament, BRWombat] topples over in the excitement."
Heh. I think some reporters go out intending to tell a particular story, whether the facts fit that story or not. Which explains the write up on my Grandpa's bicycle ride and maybe felinefan's as well. Maybe felinefan's reporter always wanted to go to Perth? (What's he got against Sidney, I ask you. :confused: )

pbb wrote: why in the world did no one step in and help the driver. Sad Really.......
Somebody does - the guy in the white striped-y shirt. You can see him working his way up and starting to intervene toward the beginning, right before the camera wanders and you see a lot of pavement for a bit. I don't know if white-shirted guy is a passenger or plain-clothes security, but since the driver trusts him enough to "watch his back", I'm tending toward security. OTOH, maybe he's just a really cool guy with excellent people-handling skills and the bus driver turns away from his attacker because he thinks it imperative to pull the keys out of the bus, who knows?

I don't get why anyone would bail on the buses just based on this video - first off the driver handled it well, secondly there were other Disney employees on the scene pretty promptly. Even not counting the guy in the striped-y white shirt, there's someone else there in a reflective vest who shows up at 1:21 - within three minutes or so of the beginning of the altercation, assuming it took the person filming the thing a minute and a half to get their act together.

Response time of under five minutes is about as good as it's going to get anywhere. My guess is that Goofyernmost is on target saying that Disney bus drivers deal with idiots like this on a depressingly regular basis. But then, I used to take the Colfax bus in Denver in the 1980's, so maybe my view of bus driver normal is a little skewed. :p:

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:46 pm

Where's Mapo when we need him?

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:03 pm

shilohmm wrote:Heh. I think some reporters go out intending to tell a particular story, whether the facts fit that story or not.
I see it all the time in my real-life job. We presented three years of statistics as requested. They chose to look only at the increase since last year, not the total decrease since two years ago.

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Cheshire Figment wrote:Where's Mapo when we need him?
She's keeping her mouth prudently closed on this, and other topics related to security. Smart lady -- the Mouse has ears and she needs the job.

Zazu

Nobleman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Nobleman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:20 am

Zazu wrote:She's keeping her mouth prudently closed on this, and other topics related to security. Smart lady -- the Mouse has ears and she needs the job.
Smart person of unknown age, gender, or other identifying factors. Whether I did or didn't I wouldn't say a peep if I was or wasn't, even if I really existed or not.

Certain places that I may have or have not worked at have been know to use methods of unmasking otherwise unknown persons for the purpose of disciplinary action. I may or may not have done such things under direct instruction to act without direct instruction to find something I shouldn't have known and whisper a name I found interesting while pissing in the bathroom next to an executive.

Unmasking is a very simple thing to do, and the more resources one has, the easier to do. Of course it all depends on how badly they want you, or if the information falls in your lap.

As far as I'm concerned, I've been here a short time and already know too much about persons of no interest to me, other than for some decent conversation.

If I ever do have the chance to work with a mouse, I would keep it in mind that he's not to far from a rat.

All I know is that you could sit on every online forum praising, positively commenting, and singing the merits of working for and buying from such a wonderful company, and say nothing but happy things with never once speaking poorly of said employer. If you are identified, it will go in a little folder in your file. If they ever need cause, it will be for unauthorized communications regarding company blah, blah, blah.

Computer and electronic communications usage and standards agreements vary from boss to boss.

Tiny Tim
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Tiny Tim » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:27 am

Just found out that per Fl statue 784.07 (i am cutting it short here) if you attack a bus driver or train operator YOU ARE GULITY OF A FELONY. So hopefully the state atty office will do the right thing in this case.

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 am

I'm not so sure that I could have done what he did. Instincts would have wanted to kick in there to protect myself. Crowd control (the driver in the reflective vest) was out there very fast considering where she had to come from.

I don't have any more info and If I did, I'm not sure that I could say any thing publicly.

I do know that from the video, he showed great professionalism and restraint, perhaps the utmost in the Disney Basics.

I'll bet he will be just fine.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:04 am

I can't believe some people! I had actually forgotten until this morning that my step-grandfather was attacked on his NJ Transit bus (he was the driver)....he was stabbed repeatedly and without provocation (thank god they had the dash board cams back then!). Thank god, when he finally did get back to work, they gave him a "country" route rather than one in Camden.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Yikes! Glad to hear he survived and that things turned alright with your step-grandfather, DragonFox98. :)

Reportedly the Disney driver's back to work.

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/25427122/detail.html

I'm buying it, possibly because it's what I want to hear. :D: And I suspect the drivers who aren't officially trained to deal with these situations pick up some hints from the horror stories of their fellows. :rolleyes: Anyone dealing with the public on a regular basis gets my respect, but I do wonder if bus drivers often get the worst of it, just because they have to turn their back on people and thus are an easier target for the vicious. :eek:

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:48 am

I see the slantinel has reported that disney trains the drivers for that type of situation.

I must have missed class that day. I recall a mention about drunk and belligerent guests but not a word about being physically assaulted.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."