Today's Thought

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Re: Today's Thought

Post by ktulu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Kwahati wrote:But you do have to laugh at the fact that his closet must have nothing in it but jeans and black turtlenecks.
Pre-OSX, I would say macs suck. Once they built it off BSD (yes kids, OSX is Unix) I started to watch, then we made the switch at work. In our environment, we absolutely cannot run windows.

I don't speculate on what Steve Jobs has, but I bet he has his own "Incredibles" super hero costume and toy story underwear.
It's a pain to find the right hardware, but it's still WAY cheaper to buy the stuff myself than buying a pre-built Mac. The price differential for the equivalent processing power is just absurd. :( )
The latest Mac's have a lower price. Also, my G5 (power pc, not intel) sitting under my desk runs like the day I took it out of the box. If you look at the cost of the hardware vs the lifetime, it is not bad at all.
Lasolimu wrote:I have a problem with all the Apple fanboys(this includes the Apple commercials) who will never admit that anything else out there is of the same quality.
I hate Apple fanboys, I'm honestly not one of them, I just like to poke fun at Microsoft fanboys ;)
1. Connecting devices. Easy with Mac, hard with PC. I have never had a hard time connecting any devices to a PC and having them work properly so this is an invalid complaint. You just need the driver, if Apple says that it just works without a driver being installed than they are giving all the drivers with the software and that is a waste of space.
This is where Apple is better. Not everyone can develop HW for the mac, unless they want to supply their own drivers. This is one of the flaws with M$, they try to work with *everything*, and you can't do that without having tons of conflicts like they have historically had.
2.if Mac is loading on all possible drivers before hand than it is also bloated.
When the next MacOS comes out, Snow Leopard, Apple claims that you will gain back 6G of disk space. Bloat no more!
4. Security. Apple has pointed out that Windows Vista security feature is really annoying and that it can be turned off. They then imply that if you turn it off your computer has no protection and will immediately be set upon by viruses. What they don't tell you is that the reason Windows gets more viruses is because more people use Windows. They also don't tell you that it is possible for a Mac to get a virus if you are stupid with it, just like Windows.
It is not only the numbers, but how easy it is to exploit. Microsoft has (again, historically) had a platform that was easy to exploit. This comes with the "lets support everything!" train of thought. If you want to make something more secure, you have to control the environment. There are no viruses in the wild for Mac, the only exploit recently came in the form of a trojan that was hidden in a couple programs that you could get illegally.
6. Mac fanboys like to use the phrase, "it just works," but if it just works why are there Mac "geniuses?" Clearly Macs have problems too, so saying that they don't is an outright lie.
Most of the problems that Apple has are end users and hardware failures. I know it is the same with M$, we have all heard the story of the guy who called support cause he computer stopped working after he deleted all the files marked for deletion, yes, those .dll files...
I could go on, but I think you get the point. Macs aren't doing well suddenly because they are so much better than Windows, they are doing better because it has become a social movement. If you like Macs because you prefer the design of the computers of the GUI than that is a valid reason to like Macs, if you like Macs because you bought into the idea that Macs are far superior to anything else out there, then you should try other things and shut up because you end up sounding like you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course, if you want the best possible OS you should check out linux, it's not just for computer geeks anymore.
I would say for general use on the Internet, email, browsing, that sort of crap, Mac is superior. It *IS* more secure. If you are a gamer, stay the hell away from a Mac, unless you want to boot into windows via something like bootcamp.

Honestly, if you think Linux is the best possible OS, then you really have no idea what you are talking about. Check out FreeBSD, one could argue Solaris, but I would tell them to stfu ;)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Oh, and they all suck, just on varying levels.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:42 pm

The only reason I say linux is the best possible OS is because it is open source. Because it is open source security holes are kept to a minimum because people fix them when they find them instead of just letting them sit while allowing people to attack. It also means that you can get a version of linux to do anything you need to do, play games, sure, get a distro that is a lot like Windows, but with better security. Want to deal with media like a Mac, sure get a distro that keeps it's own processing to a minimum and has software a lot like iLife. If you can't find a linux distro to fit your needs you aren't looking hard enough.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Lasolimu wrote:The only reason I say linux is the best possible OS is because it is open source. Because it is open source security holes are kept to a minimum because people fix them when they find them instead of just letting them sit while allowing people to attack. It also means that you can get a version of linux to do anything you need to do, play games, sure, get a distro that is a lot like Windows, but with better security. Want to deal with media like a Mac, sure get a distro that keeps it's own processing to a minimum and has software a lot like iLife. If you can't find a linux distro to fit your needs you aren't looking hard enough.
You want open source?

http://opensource.apple.com/

Oh, open source != security.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:08 pm

ktulu wrote:You want open source?

http://opensource.apple.com/

Oh, open source != security.
Not always no, but it doesn't hurt it like everyone wants you to think.

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:12 pm

So, what we've proven here is that it's bad to be a fanboy for/about anything. It's generally pretty silly. :rolleyes:

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, manditory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't tryin to be the fifth one, the millenium is here.
- Mos Def Mathematics

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Kwahati wrote:So, what we've proven here is that it's bad to be a fanboy for/about anything. It's generally pretty silly. :rolleyes:
We've shown why it's bad to be a fanboy, I don't think that's silly at all, I think it is important to know. It's bad to be a fanboy because you claim something is perfect, but people are easily able to point out flaws in your perfection. You have a self defeating argument. This is why I stick to use what works for you and accept that it doesn't work for everyone, and don't attack the flaws in others because you have them yourself.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Next topic, Juniper is better than Cisco...

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:42 pm

ktulu wrote:Next topic, Juniper is better than Cisco...
Juniper is a beautiful plant which comes in a variety of shapes and sizes and lasts for years or decades. Sisqo only had the one hit with "The Thong Song" which was fun for a summer, but lost it's novelty after that. Obviously, based on staying power alone, Juniper is far superior to Sisqo. :D:

Edited to add: And you're all Nazis! (Come on Godwin, help me out here!)

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, manditory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't tryin to be the fifth one, the millenium is here.
- Mos Def Mathematics

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:13 pm

I thought the next topic would be Picard vs. Kirk...

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter