GAC abuse

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: GAC abuse

Post by hobie16 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:06 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:You would think that the CM would allow them in the wheelchair line, when its that obvious!
Because of his disabilities, my step-son would use his wheelchair in the parks. We never knew we needed a GAC as every CM on the attractions moved us into the easy access line. Pretty cool.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:You would think that the CM would allow them in the wheelchair line, when its that obvious!
As long as the guest stays in the chair, we're supposed to treat them as if they had a GAC. That CM must have been some kind of a maroon.

Zazu

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Zazu wrote:As long as the guest stays in the chair, we're supposed to treat them as if they had a GAC. That CM must have been some kind of a maroon.
Maybe he was having a bad day, or new on the job? You would think that the common sense would kick in!

(I know, I know...common sense...hehehehehhehee)

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 am

Zazu wrote:As long as the guest stays in the chair, we're supposed to treat them as if they had a GAC. That CM must have been some kind of a maroon.
You are correct oh great bird of knowledge.

If the guest is obviously disabled such as on crutches, in a chair or ECV, or using a rollator then they do not need the GAC. The GAC is only for hidden disabilities. Sue over at disboards has reiterated that so many times that it now is like Small World, forever playing in my brain.

If a CM is wrong then you ask for a lead and work your way to the GM, lol. Some CMs make mistakes or are not trained right or do not know the rules. Purpura told me about gluten free food at Plaza Inn and I have have the park issued list of celiac free foods at the restaurant. I had to stand my ground and get someone else to check with the chefs to see what I could have. I won and with lots of napkins and ketchup had a nice meal.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 am

Thanks for all this great information folks. There's a possibility that we may end up going on a trip with my folks within the next year or so. Dad has gotten to the point that he can't walk for long distances (bad ankles and heart) and has taken to using the ECV's at the stores. So we'll be adjusting our usual commando style touring to accomodate him. Looks like we won't need a GAC and we can just use the DIS boards to find out about the queue lines for the attractions we'll be going on. He's not interested in any of the fast type rides so that will help a bit.

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:44 am

Well, over here at Disneyland, if they have a wheelchair and no GAC card and the queue is wheelchair accessible, they are supposed to go in the regular queue. Most lines in Disneyland are not wheelchair accessible, but all of DCA is.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:48 am

lady ulrike wrote:Well, over here at Disneyland, if they have a wheelchair and no GAC card and the queue is wheelchair accessible, they are supposed to go in the regular queue. Most lines in Disneyland are not wheelchair accessible, but all of DCA is.
I think I am going to have to go with "in theory" on this. You can get through all the lines in DCA, but if you are in one of the park ECVs than some of the lines have turns that can be difficult to make.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Christine43
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Christine43 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:15 am

I started this thread and I appreciate all your answers. I would personally not have any problem identifying my son's needs or disability but I don't take fault with anyone who does. However, we are getting treatment that others w/o the GAC aren't getting. In our case that means we are entering thru the FP lane more often than not making our wait shorter not nonexistent. My son has a very difficult time with very long lines and starts melting down which is why we use the GAC. We only use it when appropriate. We don't wait for character meets because the GAC is not supposed to be used for that purpose. This is why we take advantage of character meals. I have seen someone waving the GAC in the face of the character helper and yelling about it and it was again one of those incidents which makes others jaded about the GAC. I can understand why a CM might be apprehensive about guests with the GACs and this is what concerns me. They (families abusing the use of the card) may make it much more difficult for families like ours who really need it and don't abuse it. At one ride in December there was a CM at the GAC/FP entrance counting how many guests were using the GAC which also made me nervous. I want to add that my son has a twin brother who also has a disability - Asperger's Syndrome. I don't use the GAC for him because he really is pretty much ok with any line so it would be wrong to use it in his case when we split up which is very, very rare. We generally stay together as a family which is why there are 5 or 6 people on our card. Staying together is sort of the point of going to Disney as a family. Anyway, it was interesting reading your posts and hopefully this will continue to be a positive thing although I do wish there was a way to differentiate between those who are abusing it vs. those who are not.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:34 am

Can you request a GAC card (sorry, that's redundant) if you have a compulsion to wear a warthog costume in public?

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:14 pm

BRWombat wrote:Can you request a GAC card (sorry, that's redundant) if you have a compulsion to wear a warthog costume in public?
Hmmm, only if its the back half!!!!

heheheheheheh

RUM?

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?