wheel chair/ECV question

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
I am Sam
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: wheel chair/ECV question

Post by I am Sam » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:35 am

And yes Disneyland Paris is great about the GAC. My doctor faxed them my medical records so I could get one. The bad thing is in the US we can't do that thanks to HIPA. The French were wonderful (during 6-3-02 to 6-6-02) and we rode everything quickly because there was so few wc we were give VIP treatment.

Sorry for highjacking this thread.

Ice Bear
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ice Bear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:51 am

I am Sam wrote:And yes Disneyland Paris is great about the GAC. My doctor faxed them my medical records so I could get one. The bad thing is in the US we can't do that thanks to HIPA. The French were wonderful (during 6-3-02 to 6-6-02) and we rode everything quickly because there was so few wc we were give VIP treatment.
I know. :D: A friend of mine works there and alto ugh they are very strict those that really need our compassion get it. We were very very glad and proud to accompany our friend when he was giving an ill child the royal treatment.
That is were a GAC is fore and not for those that are just to lazy and to overweighted to walk on there own feet. Rule them out out and those that need our real compassion will benefit from it.
The slogan" drive all day,dance all night" says enough. Renting an EVC or wheelchair has become an ill growth that must be killed with fire to weed out.

I am Sam
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by I am Sam » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:12 am

Ice Bear wrote:I know. :D: A friend of mine works there and alto ugh they are very strict those that really need our compassion get it. We were very very glad and proud to accompany our friend when he was giving an ill child the royal treatment.
That is were a GAC is fore and not for those that are just to lazy and to overweighted to walk on there own feet. Rule them out out and those that need our real compassion will benefit from it.
The slogan" drive all day,dance all night" says enough. Renting an EVC or wheelchair has become an ill growth that must be killed with fire to weed out.
I whole heartedly agree with you. I would love to be "normal" and get to wait in the regular line like everyone else. Some of the "magic" is lost due to going into the alternative entrances. I wish I could see the pre show of haunted mansion or the Mr. Potato Head at Toy Story Midway Mania. The first year we rode Rock n Rollercoaster starring Aerosmith they sent us threw the back entrance. No recording studio or back alley for us. I couldn't figure why it was starring Aerosmith or why we were in limos. I much prefer the "show" than the rides.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:30 am

Ice Bear wrote:Again sorry to disappoint you but Disney started this new loading policy a few weeks ago.
Again, I'm sorry, but you are incorrect in your interpretation of the new rules.

The #17 post before this one is correct. There is no option, one way or the other a person with a chair or ECV must be moved within a half hour. If not by one bus because the wheelchair areas are currently occupied by other chairs then by the next bus if it is expected within the half hour time frame, or by a special vehicle if buses are not available or chair areas are still filled. They will always be the priority in bus loading if for no other reason then the mechanics of it.

If, indeed Disney has changed its policy concerning this, I would hate to be in the decision making group when ADA gets wind of it.

:goofy: :goofy:

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:53 am

Ice Bear wrote: The waiting is difficult for all of us. We all have little children that are tired and cranky after a long day in the park. Why should they wait an hour longer because of this ridiculous law.

I'm having a little trouble understanding your points...they seem contradiction, but not clear. It seems that without mobility devises a person has many more choices. Can you imagine if a person in a wheelchair isn't given first on status (on a bus) how long they will have to stay there until there gets to be a vehicle that doesn't fill up before them. Haven't any of you had people cut right in front of you and you didn't even have any disability?

The ADA law was supposed to give equal access and not preferred access and that what it has become.

If a bus has two wheelchair procurement areas per bus and the bus otherwise hold up to 50 people...how is that equal. They could be in line for days before space becomes available.

Obviously enough people complaint about this and Disney listened.
It is also no longer a must you have to give up your seat for a disabled person.

What a sad, sad thing. I'm almost ashamed to be part of the human race.

Thank that to those that let their teenagers sit and play theirs DS instead of standing.
The society became "its all about me, me, me and I only have rights and no obligations".

That, my friend is why the ADA laws were enacted. Self centered, slobs that care of nothing but themselves.

I fully agree with this and the only thing that can stop this is a documented letter of proof that you are disabled. This works in Disney Paris perfectly. No proof,no GAC and you hardly see a EVC or wheelchair.
That last thing would simplify the process and eliminate the "embarrassment" of doubt that the current system fosters. A simple one place registration with documentation, if necessary would eliminate the people that think that disabled people don't exist and everyone is trying to just beat them when boarding the bus. Show your ID to the driver and your on. No ID and you wait.

This topic depresses me. The idea that perfectly healthy people, with no barriers in life feel that giving a little to help others that do have those hurdles to get over is too much, just makes me angry and disappointed that we have come to this. What a disgusting group of insignificant people many of us have become. Put yourself in their shoes for a few minutes and think about what they have to do to live as opposed to your hardships.

Establishing a system to eliminate the abuse is or should be a priority, but placing everyone under the umbrella of "faker" is just dumb.

:goofy: :goofy:

Ice Bear
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ice Bear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:24 am

Goofyernmost wrote: This topic depresses me. The idea that perfectly healthy people, with no barriers in life feel that giving a little to help others that do have those hurdles to get over is too much, just makes me angry and disappointed that we have come to this. What a disgusting group of insignificant people many of us have become. Put yourself in their shoes for a few minutes and think about what they have to do to live as opposed to your hardships.
I did visit WDW in a wheelchair and it was amazing how many perks we got. FOTL access and all the other perks that come with the GAC card. It is one of the best kept secrets.
Again this whole ADA thing was meant to be for EQUAL access but it became preferred access and that is why Disney gets so many complains about it. Like it or not but why should a family with small children wait for hours in a hot line while those whit a GAC go on the same attraction twice or three times whiteout any one asking for proof.
And living with hardship? I'll trait any hardship for the final diagnose cancer.
I'll bet that from all those whit a GAC 80% is milking the system.

Ice Bear
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ice Bear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:54 am

Goofyernmost wrote: Establishing a system to eliminate the abuse is or should be a priority, but placing everyone under the umbrella of "faker" is just dumb.
Wonder how I got these figures? A very close relative of mine is a physician and she sees parents on a daily base asking ,demanding and screaming at her to get their children diagnosed as "on the spectrum". Perfect normal and healthy children that never learned to listen and obey their parents because the parents are just to lazy to educate them.
Fat children that weight over 200 pounds because the parents only feed them junk food but they like to play the disabilleties card.
Would you like to guess how many of them tell me niece :"I know where you live and how would you like to get your children run over by a car"?
I don't envie all those poor CM that have to deal with all them fakers and believe me as soon as I see one "disabled "person taking more than five persons with him I will call transportation.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:38 am

Ice Bear wrote:Would you like to guess how many of them tell me niece :"I know where you live and how would you like to get your children run over by a car"?
My response would be, "I have your address in the medical records and the police will be by for a discussion shortly. Oh yeah, I am no longer your doctor."

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Ice Bear
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ice Bear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:11 am

hobie16 wrote:My response would be, "I have your address in the medical records and the police will be by for a discussion shortly. Oh yeah, I am no longer your doctor."
We all know that is not the answer you give when you have Little children. There safety comes first.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Ice Bear wrote:We all know that is not the answer you give when you have Little children. There safety comes first.
I don't know about you, but we "all" don't know that.

if someone threatens my kids (or anybodys kids for that matter) with being run over,

they are going to be talking with a police officer in short order for threating bodily harm.

THEIR safety does come first, and you can bet your last dollar a threat like that will be dealt with quickly.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?