Parenting at its finest

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
kutisusie
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by kutisusie » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:46 pm

Parents can make me sick. I hated when I would find a lost child, and they would be crying. I would walk around with them, and miraculously, we would find the parents. The parents would then procede to shake and scream at the child for running away. :cry:

My favorite was the day I was a lead on the routes, and a family flagged me down next to the carrousel. They pointed to a stroller with an infant in it and said they had been sitting there about fifteen minutes, and no one had come up to the stroller. I asked everyone around, and no body had seen anyone with the child. I called security, and after they showed, a man came running up. Apparently, his wife thought he took the baby, and she thought he had the baby. The baby had been ALONE at the carrousel for over a half an hour!!
I am not a parent yet, but I would make dang sure I knew where my infant was at all times!

Hang on to your Hat, 'cause I'm not going to get it when it blows off your head.

EColiOnAStick
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by EColiOnAStick » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:15 am

Back in the day when I worked at 'The Park', I always used to get a giggle out of the parents who would put their child on a leash and walk around with them like pets.

2 children later and over 15 years of hearing stories of parents who should never have had children, I never leave the house without those leashes for the kiddies. The one thing that continually amazes me when I take the kids to the park,are all the rude, undrebreath comments that other parents make about those wonderful devices, usually as their children are wandering off to pee in the Rivers of America.

Keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times.....unless you really dont want to....

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:08 am

EColiOnAStick wrote:Back in the day when I worked at 'The Park', I always used to get a giggle out of the parents who would put their child on a leash and walk around with them like pets.

2 children later and over 15 years of hearing stories of parents who should never have had children, I never leave the house without those leashes for the kiddies. The one thing that continually amazes me when I take the kids to the park,are all the rude, undrebreath comments that other parents make about those wonderful devices, usually as their children are wandering off to pee in the Rivers of America.
Although I am not a parent per-say (I am like a father to my Godson), I completly agree with the use of leashes for small children who have a tendency to run off (just about all of them).

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Ottar
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ottar » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:24 am

While I'm not comfortable seeing people leashing their six-year-olds, I agree that infants and kids with tendencies towards uncontrollalble impulses to run away should be kept anchored to their guardians SOMEHOW - either through a leash or like the woman at DLP who had used a tiger-striped adult-toy-style handcuff to attach a little girl to her older brother... :lol:

In Walt's days, quality and capacity did not compete.

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:01 am

One of my managers worked in ODV for her first 10 years with the park... about a month ago she told me another one of her stories from her days in ODV... she was working on an ice cream cart when a non-english speaking couple comes up to her, and the lady holds her baby out to her. Well, thinking that the lady was gonna get money out of her purse to buy ice cream, my manager reached out to take the baby. Big mistake. The couple ended up just WALKING OFF and didn't come back for about an hour. So my manager ended up just holding the kid in one arm, and trying her best to keep selling icecream and handling money with the other... of course the days that something like that happens are the days that you can never find anyone with a radio to call security...

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:03 am

Ottar wrote:either through a leash or like the woman at DLP who had used a tiger-striped adult-toy-style handcuff to attach a little girl to her older brother... :lol:
:hammer: *beats very very wrong mental images out of her head*

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

Wiseone2980
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Wiseone2980 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:32 pm

One day i was on my way home, and i was walking into Tomorrowland from Main Street. There was a little boy climbing on the rock thingy right in the middle of the entrance to the area. I asked him (nicely of course) to get down, and his mother, who was standing there said to someone as i was walking away "wow, this is great! They even watch your kids for you!" No, you stupid cow, i was not your personal babysitter. I was just doing your job for you. :shock: I could not believe that i heard her say that...

--The WiseOne--

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:24 pm

Ahhh Rocks... I was walking around the rocks next to Taste Pilot's Grill, a popular place for children to climb, when I saw two kids climbing up with thier mom ready to take a picture of them. I asked her to have them come down and her responce was, "Oh they can't climb?"
No you dolt! She told them to get down and as they came down one slipped and fell right into my arms. No thank you. Nothing. They just sat down and started eating. The kid was no worse for wear so I let it go at that.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

BabyAngel024
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by BabyAngel024 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:42 pm

I believe in the leashes, my mom never did it to any of us kids until my baby brother came along, he is a kid who never stops going and used go where he wasnt suspose to, climb what he wasnt suspose to,etc. So my mom found the leash and it worked till he figured out how to get it off. Oh well, it stopped him for a while.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:17 am

Child leashes/hand-holder straps are a good idea until you get those nuts that use them to yank their kids around. I once saw a lady giving her husband a lot of crap right in front of our shop while their kids on leashes and in strollers were crying. She was pissed that he was doing blah blah blah while she was taking care of the "these brats." Meanwhile she was trying to yank the kids out of the strollers by the leashes while they were screaming and crying because they were still strapped in to the strollers.

Which brings me to the reason why I started this thread....some people should just not be parents. I see the best and the worst of them where I work.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005