Stupid Credit Card Trick

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Stupid Credit Card Trick

Post by Alyssa3467 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Coastercameron wrote:One of my favorite stupid guests ever was an older gentleman who came wanting to buy tickets. As usual, I noticed the card wasn't signed before even looking at the name, I ask him for his ID, he explodes with "WHY DO YOU NEED TO SEE THAT!?!" I look down at the name on the card and say "Because... you don't look like Betty?" He grabs the card and storms off. Betty returned a few minutes later and bought the tickets herself... :twisted:
The name isn't something I check unless I'm put into a situation where I have to ask for identification, such as mismatched signatures or the absence of a signature. There is at least one non-fraudulant reason someone who appears female may use a credit card bearing a male name which I'm not really going to get into here at this time (and the reason is not marriage).
We aren't so strict as to make people sign thier cards like Visa says, for one thing because many of the cards that have the signatures worn off are too damaged to accept a new signature from a ball point pen.
I usually offer to let them borrow a Sharpie marker.
I have caught what I beleive to be a fraudulent transaction once. Lady had a card, I checked ID, last name was no match. She proceeded to toss dozens of credit cards all over the counter. I noticed 3-4 differnet last names on these cards, and a couple different first names on them. I think she used both the marrage and name change lines on me. I had my supervisor come down, and asked her to wait out of earshot of me, so I could call again and advise her that I believed it was fraud.

My supe backed me up on my decision to decline her cards, but didn't get the police or security involved in the possible fraud she was involved in.

For those other cashiers etc on here, are you trained on Code 10 authorizations? We are not, but me being a geek, I know what they are, and it seems like it is something all cashiers SHOULD know, esp. in a place where I work where we often have large charges.
So... why didn't you call it in as a Code 10? (btw, I've mentioned Code 10 on this forum before... ;) ) Although it would be theoretically possible for a Cast Member to call in a Code 10 using the resources at our disposal, I don't see it as something I'd run into very often, unless I happened to be at WOD or Marceline's, which aren't within the confines of a theme park. And if I was at one of those stores, I'd definitely call for a Code 10 if I needed to, informing a lead after the fact.

Coastercameron
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Coastercameron » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:05 pm

I've encountered a few ligitimate male Ashleys in my day, the only reason I said that back to him was because of how he reacted to me asking for his ID.

I didn't call for a Code 10 because it isn't my job. My supes don't even know what it is, and it isn't my job to create new procedures to protect THIER money. I've given more than my share of suggestions to make our transactions more secure, all of which have fallen on deaf ears.

Keep in mind I don't work for Disney here.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:58 am

Alyssa3467 wrote:I'm on the account!" Nope, sorry, can't let you use the card unless it's your name on the card. If you're on the account, you also have your own card.
Alyssa, I had more of this type guest & problem at DCA. Rushin was known for always having at least one of these SG per day. I rarely encounter this anomaly at D. L. Makes life at the cash wrap so much easier. :) Have often wondered why this is? Maybe it's just me. ;)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

SWTexasBelle
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SWTexasBelle » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:20 am

For what it is worth - from an etiquette standpoint (and bear in mind I didn't make the rules) - "Mrs." is properly used with your husband's first name, as it stands for "wife of" - Mrs. John Doe, or Mrs. Doe. Never Mrs. Joan Doe, unless you live in Mass., I guess. If you divorce, the proper form (which I didn't follow - took my maiden name back) is to use "Mrs." with your maiden name and then married name - Mrs. Maiden Doe. HOWEVER you do not use your title yourself - introductions and the like are supposed to go "Hello, I'm Joan Doe." "Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Doe (or Ms., if you are hedging your bets) "Oh, no, please call me Joan." I really hate when some one I don't know starts calling me by my first name, but that's a different rant.
So, I'd think that titles really don't belong on credit cards - she should have Joan Doe on the card. But of course, credit cards don't care about etiguette. Hey, for that matter, neither do most SGs.

dizneeluvr
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by dizneeluvr » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:24 pm

years ago, when a women had a credit card, it was because the husband allowed the wife to get one. the wife was a homemaker, no income. so the credit card usually said Mrs. John Doe. nowadays that is not done. but there are some people who apply for cards with the title, or it comes that way because the credit card company automatically did that.
my favorite credit card trick is jane using john's card and saying she has permission. and when you tell them they can't they get all pissy. or the unsigned ones, you ask for their license and they get all annoyed too. people get a grip, it's for your protection. right?

Coastercameron
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Coastercameron » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:06 pm

"It's my husband's card, but my name is on the account!"

My response:
"Unfortunately your name isn't on the card, so I'll need your husband here to sign for it, or a different card." Haha... we get away with a lot where I work.

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:44 am

Coastercameron wrote:"It's my husband's card, but my name is on the account!"

My response:
"Unfortunately your name isn't on the card, so I'll need your husband here to sign for it, or a different card." Haha... we get away with a lot where I work.
I tell them that, also explaining that I have no way of actually knowing that their name is on the account without their name being on the card. If they're an authorized signer, they have their own card. Simple as that. Any credit card issuer will issue each authorized signer their own card.

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:55 am

I don't remember if I have chimed on this before but here goes: At the hotel where I work, this happens constantly. "I'm married to so and so or he/she is in the car." Then they need to get their ass out and show me some ID. If not, I have EVERY right to refuse to check you in. Simple as that.

The only way we accept a different card is if we have a preapproved signed authorization letter faxed to us with copies of ID and CC (front and back, matching names, of course) or if there is another guest present in their party who is willing to use their CC instead and the whole ID issue starts again.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:07 am

Resurrecting an old thread because I wasn't sure if there was any other approporiate place to put this...

I had a Guest today present me with a hotel charge card with her married name on it. Our hotel charge cards clearly state that photo ID is required, so she dutifully presents me with an ID... that has her maiden name on it. So of course I refuse to accept the card. She claims that she uses her married name for hotel and flight reservations because it's easier to travel with her (elementary school age) daughter when the reservations have the same last name for both of them, and pulls out all these different reciepts from other stores and restaurants saying that nobody else has given her any trouble for mismatching ID. She also made it a point to tell me she was not going to change her driver license when she gets home to New York. How do you go through the day not expecting problems if you do something stupid like that? And why the hell did the TSA let her on the plane if her ID didn't match the name on the boarding pass? Grr... :mad:

When I get married, I'm probably going to keep my last name for everything. No reason to go through all the trouble of changing my name and all the documents to go with it. And new documents that get generated can have the same name.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Wed May 16, 2007 9:39 am

A news program like Dateline did an article on credit cards. I am not sure which was which but they have a picture and person with the credit card. One was a younger man obviously asian featured and the other was about 50 pounds heavier, older, and obviously caucasian featured. Every time the man used the card there was no questions asked.

It could have been something else like she was faking being a guest. Stand you ground as later you would get you butt burned if it turns out they were lying about being married and having a kid.