Pet Peeve

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: Pet Peeve

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Hmmm, it's possible that some MAW Parents have the same issue going on that some Families of Patients have- making up for a feeling of powerlessness against the disease by MAKING SURE that everyone stands on their tiptoes and does a pirouette for their loved one. This attitude rarely has the intended outcome, but makes the Parent FEEL like they are doing something :cool:
It is best to grit your teeth in these situations, and focus on the "patient"....
but yeah, twisting everyone around to focus on THEM rather than their kid...well,there just isn't enough help for that sort of thing :rolleyes:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:35 am

Darksin wrote:Personally I think Mr.D is onto something. There could easily be a set time of the day (Say 1pm) in each park where the most popular characters meet for an hour or so to spend time in a closed location with the MAW kids in attendance that day. Controlled a closed "Private" event is much easier and would cut down on the SG problem. Plus since it would be an indoor area the Characters wouldn't be so hard pressed with the heat and it really wouldn't cost the parks extra.
That's a really good idea. I wonder how many Make A Wish families come a day?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:12 am

Mr. D. wrote:That's a great time frame, they could even make it a character lunch meet and greet. The family could get a free or discounted meal, the kids eat free of course, and the characters come around table to table. Each family would have to have "reservations" to do this, so Disney could find out what the child's favorite character is and make sure that character was there.
I wouldn't say a full meal, perhaps something more like "Refreshments". Drinks and snacks (Fruit, Cookies, Popcorn, Etc) since they cost less then putting on a full meal. Thinking along the lines of not having to trek in hot/cold food each day and the space could be used for other things during times without the MAW groups aren't using the space. I know Studios and Epcot have space for this kind of thing but I can't recall if MK or AK does off the top of my head.

@DisneyMom:
Yeah, that's about all you can do even if you'd very much love to smack with upside the head with a wiffle ball bat!

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Here's my feelings regarding the MAW families...

Sure, there is, or at least should be, some upper-limit to what special arrangements are made for these children. However, I don't think letting a child spend extra time with a character is too much for ask. Would a private meeting, arranged in advanced, be even better? Sure. But there may be reasons why such a preplanned get-together may not be possible. Add in the fact that these children not only may never have another chance to come back, but may not be around at all, I think folks should be a little more willing to forgo some of their time for what might literally be a once-in-a-lifetime event for these children.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:34 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:Here's my feelings regarding the MAW families...

Sure, there is, or at least should be, some upper-limit to what special arrangements are made for these children. However, I don't think letting a child spend extra time with a character is too much for ask. Would a private meeting, arranged in advanced, be even better? Sure. But there may be reasons why such a preplanned get-together may not be possible. Add in the fact that these children not only may never have another chance to come back, but may not be around at all, I think folks should be a little more willing to forgo some of their time for what might literally be a once-in-a-lifetime event for these children.
and some days you just want to GAC a MAW.

Corey

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I think a private meet and greet for MAW kids is a great idea. But perhaps it could be part of a package, with snacks--customized to the child's preferences/allergies--offered as an option. Charge enough to cover the extra expense, but don't go too high. If there's a way Disney could contact MAW and let them know this special offer is available, that could reduce fakers, too. Just a thought.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm sorry but some of the responses in this thread have my head spinning.

Many of the kids in MAW will be DEAD in a short time. They will never get to go back again, they will never stand there with their love, holding hands and watching "Wishes". They will never get to go back again.

Yet, I hear the conversation from healthy adults about "limiting" the time with a character. I think that their time is limited enough and that even thinking that they should be told to move along...that snotty nosed kid that has been whining for the last half hour about how their feet hurt or they are bored, needs to spend some quality time with Mickey, is something that should happen, really...come on.

One of the charities that I regularly contribute too is MAW. I've seen what they do. I've seen the, all to infrequent, joy that that they give to a very sick child. I admire the restraint of some of those CM's cause I think if I ever heard some skank say anything like that I would personally drag them to the gate and throw their ignorant, classless ass out. If Disney wanted to fire me for that...well believe me I would leave smiling.

Sorry...I apparently feel pretty strongly about this.

:goofy: :goofy:

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:I'm sorry but some of the responses in this thread have my head spinning.

Many of the kids in MAW will be DEAD in a short time. They will never get to go back again, they will never stand there with their love, holding hands and watching "Wishes". They will never get to go back again.

Yet, I hear the conversation from healthy adults about "limiting" the time with a character. I think that their time is limited enough and that even thinking that they should be told to move along...that snotty nosed kid that has been whining for the last half hour about how their feet hurt or they are bored, needs to spend some quality time with Mickey, is something that should happen, really...come on.

One of the charities that I regularly contribute too is MAW. I've seen what they do. I've seen the, all to infrequent, joy that that they give to a very sick child. I admire the restraint of some of those CM's cause I think if I ever heard some skank say anything like that I would personally drag them to the gate and throw their ignorant, classless ass out. If Disney wanted to fire me for that...well believe me I would leave smiling.

Sorry...I apparently feel pretty strongly about this.
You are not the only one who feels this way. I'm sure if the SG were handed a card echoing your second paragraph , "Many of these kids...", they would shut up real quick.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

goofyernmost wrote:i'm sorry but some of the responses in this thread have my head spinning.

Many of the kids in maw will be dead in a short time. They will never get to go back again, they will never stand there with their love, holding hands and watching "wishes". They will never get to go back again.

Yet, i hear the conversation from healthy adults about "limiting" the time with a character. I think that their time is limited enough and that even thinking that they should be told to move along...that snotty nosed kid that has been whining for the last half hour about how their feet hurt or they are bored, needs to spend some quality time with mickey, is something that should happen, really...come on.

One of the charities that i regularly contribute too is maw. I've seen what they do. I've seen the, all to infrequent, joy that that they give to a very sick child. I admire the restraint of some of those cm's cause i think if i ever heard some skank say anything like that i would personally drag them to the gate and throw their ignorant, classless ass out. If disney wanted to fire me for that...well believe me i would leave smiling.

Sorry...i apparently feel pretty strongly about this.
+1

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:40 am

Huh? Which post said to limit the time for the MAW kids? I've only seen suggestions to have a special private event-type thing :confused: Only complaints I've seen is when Parents exploit child's (and/or Patient's) illness to push beyond the limits of kindness....
Only problem I think Private Event creates is "shielding" typical children from other kids with health issues, and not exposing them to the concept of allowing someone else to have their special time. This was what I was trying to explain in my previous post about parents not having to satisfy their typical child's every desire....sorry if I confused anyone out there. :o:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D: