Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Post by darph nader » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:15 am

They didn't take out the beer gardens did they? :confused: :(

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:07 am

It's like the "ultra-modern" Contemporary resort. Now I have to say that with refurbishment it looks a bit more modern but it still feels old and antique. Good thing retro can be hip.

I think part of the problem at Epcot is the economy and subsequent loss of sponsors. Some of the changes just seem like a bandaid and Disney hasn't made much of an investment in Future World recently. That's the way it appears to me as a guest. Then again not much has changed in the World Showcase either. I would like to see them change things up a bit. Add a new pavilion or something.

Jennifer

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:17 am

BW, that sounds like an awesome experience. I only visited twice before the Communicores went out and Innoventions came in, and I never got to spend a lot of time checking out the displays there, so my memory is mostly filled with the new version of things. I have to admit, I do think they've toned down the educational experience over the years, and I agree that that is a loss, so I will change my position slightly. I'd say the park is less than it was, but I still wouldn't say wrecked. I can still get a whole lot of enjoyment from walking around, people watching, talking to CM's, enjoying the live entertainment, etc.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:23 pm

I agree 100% WEDFan. At the same time, I would like to do or be a part of something that is about that inspiration, that maybe when kids and families get home, they'll get off their butts, go outside and create something, even if this one they're creating is completely useless and void. Enough of those, and they'll create something that a hundred years from now, we can't live without.

I don't know about you, but knowing what I do now, I would love to go back in time and have the job of selling people on indoor plumbing. "Yes. We want to move the outhouse into your hallway, and it won't stink up the whole house."

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 pm

darph nader wrote:They didn't take out the beer gardens did they? :confused: :(
No worries Darph! Epcot is still one big beer garden, with a smaller German beer garden at the far end ! I do believe that they have changed out the specific offerings at the Beir Garten however. :biggulp:

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:13 pm

delsdad wrote:No worries Darph! Epcot is still one big beer garden, with a smaller German beer garden at the far end ! I do believe that they have changed out the specific offerings at the Beir Garten however. :biggulp:
Oh good. Now I don't have to cancel those reservations I never made. :cool:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24 pm

I remember going to Epcot thinking my sister and I can stay sober. A few drinks later and I did not win.

I remember hearing about at Disneyland-The house of the future. The construction crew tried to take it down with a wrecking ball and it bounced off. Then I heard to remove the attraction, the workers had to take it apart piece by piece. :eek:

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:How is Epcot different? Well tell me where this could happen today.

April 24, 1996. It was my 15th birthday, and my dad had a conference at the Contemporary. As my birthday gift he brought me along, and I had free reign at the parks. I took a couple hours at one place in Innoventions. I don't know of any experience in Innoventions today that I could stay at for more than about 20 minutes at this point. But I digress.

What was this exhibit? Lasers. They had fish tanks with lasers running through, with particles in the water so you could see the beam running through. Then they had prisms and other light modifying structures that you could (gasp) reach into the water and move around to turn, separate, and otherwise manipulate the lasers.

I got talking to the Cast Member who was working there, and eventually he told me of plans that were in the works. One day, someone would take the CD player (then a fairly new invention as far as the market and availability to people was concerned), and they would change out the red laser for a blue laser.

Yes. At the old-style Innoventions, I heard about a technology that took another 15 or so years to be released, and we are still at some level in that technology's infancy.

On my fifteenth birthday, I left Epcot inspired for what was to come, and that I would get to have some part in that future.

There is nothing at Epcot, or any theme park, that inspires me for the future like that did. But all that changed when the name changed from EPCOT to Epcot. All that changed when the important thing was changed from inspiration to entertainment.

Where I am in my life, I would much rather be inspired than entertained. I would rather be encouraged to hope and dream than to sit back and take in a show.
I agree with you, however, you and about 3 others are the only ones that are willing to spend money to be inspired...they insist on being entertained. I used to take my young children to EPCOT knowing that they thought they were being entertained (and they were) but they were also being, if not inspired, educated on things past, present and future.

That is no longer the way of world. It was just barely the way back then. It didn't really last long before all the high intellects noticed that they were being taught something and rebelled. I'm not paying good money to go to school on my vacation, was the battle cry. So, now we have what is there. A dumb downed version, still better than most, but not the caliber of the original. Let's face it...the Seas was boring, the Land was boring, the Universe of Energy was beyond boring driving people into close to comatose situations. WoL was pretty good, but was missed by a lot of people because of it's location, I think. Horizons was a good show, but so is Mission Space. I think that WoM was one of the best shows ever, but it had the unfortunate fate of being just one of many Dark rides, that all seemed alike, in Future World...the public demanded a "heart" stopper and TT was born. SSE has remained pretty true to it's original message, in my mind.

I haven't noticed a huge change in the Showcase, but I might just be too familiar with that area by now.

:goofy: :goofy:

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:16 am

The Land boring?! That was my favorite pavillion when i first visited way back in 1985 (I was eight) and the last time i visited in 1998, I still enjoyed it. I don't know about if I went back there today since Soarin' took out the old Kraft theater (right?) and the boat ride doesn't use the wonderful "Listen to the Land" theme any more ( and hasn't for years :( ) I thought the food was pretty good there too.
I was totally disappointed when I finally saw the Living Seas (they were building it when I visited in '85). I guess I expected more. Maybe I was spoiled by visits to Sea World or I was just bummed Mickey wasn't scuba diving like all those promo pictures I saw.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:08 am

In a way I feel EPCOT has been brought down to the "Cheap thrill and you might learn something if your lucky" level. That however doesn't still stop me from loving it nor does it diminish the fact it's been my favorite amusement park since 1986.

...Okay except Horizons, I'm still a little bitter about that one.
...Okay and even now as an adult, where else can I shop and drink my way around the world in 10-12 hours?

They really need to get Innovations back online. Back to showing new or upcoming technology, showing people how things work and giving the hands on experiences it used to. Now it's pretty much a 90% closed up building sitting in the middle of the park which I think is a complete waste.

Another problem is most of the sponsors pay for the "goodies" we all loved at the pavilions and they've gotten cheap, cheap, cheap on us. It almost seems like there isn't a standard anymore or even no longer a place to showcase new things. World of Motion always had the newest cars from GM as well as concepts, they still fund Test Track so why not keep doing that? Silly in my opinion NOT to.
Wonders of Life is just rotting, I honestly can't believe someone hasn't jumped on it with all the "Go Healthy, Go Green" crap being shoveled at us a hundred times daily. Far more then what was happening during the pavilions original run! For example, BP is trying to redeem themselves, Hello! Empty EPCOT Pavilion over here, why not do a little public ass kissing via that?
Living Seas with Nemo was a good idea I think. Yes it's cheesy and kiddy but that pavilion was constantly empty back in the day, it's a good way to get people back inside the attraction. I also am highly amused by the Seagulls, simple pleasures and all that.

I think the problem is really that the Pavilions have lost the spirit of what EPCOT was suppose to be. I at least hold out some hope that after this big Magic Kingdom expansion is finished they'll turn an eye to EPCOT and get it back into gear. Okay so maybe it's a pipe dream, but I can hope!

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!