wheel chair/ECV question

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: wheel chair/ECV question

Post by Goofyernmost » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:21 am

Ice Bear wrote:Please look into the new rules that Disney is enforcing. Wheelchairs and EVC no longer get FOTL access into the buses. They just have to take the "normal" entrance like everybody else and not more than five people. Disney received to much complains about the advantage these people got. The "normal " guests with children had to wait more than an hour although they were first to board because of the EVC and wheelchairs boarding policy.

There was no equal access for WC and EVC, it became an "we are pathetic and need to go first"attitude.
Thank god Disney put and end to this.
I think you are reading it wrong. The Wheelchair/EVC user still gets FOTL access to buses because boarding beforehand is necessary. You cannot easily put a device like that on after the bus is full. That would require, by federal law, that some would have to get off to accommodate that person. Now what it applies too is the grouping that goes with the person. The limit of five is even a little higher then necessary. One person (helper) should be all that can get on early.

All people with special needs must be accommodated asap. The law is pretty clear about that. The rest of their crew can wait.

What I have just stated applies to transportation with limited capacity, not shows or theme park rides. That may be what is being referred too.

:goofy: :goofy:

Ice Bear
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ice Bear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:51 am

Goofyernmost wrote:I think you are reading it wrong. The Wheelchair/EVC user still gets FOTL access to buses because boarding beforehand is necessary. You cannot easily put a device like that on after the bus is full. That would require, by federal law, that some would have to get off to accommodate that person. Now what it applies too is the grouping that goes with the person. The limit of five is even a little higher then necessary. One person (helper) should be all that can get on early.

All people with special needs must be accommodated asap. The law is pretty clear about that. The rest of their crew can wait.

What I have just stated applies to transportation with limited capacity, not shows or theme park rides. That may be what is being referred too.
Sorry but that is not the official statement from Disney. WC and EVC have to wait just as "normal" guests at the buses. And why not? Why should those people get special treatment? No more special wait places for EVC and wheelchairs. Disney put and end to this unfair treatment.

Why should a family with small children wait hours to get back to their resort while EVC an WC users get FOLT acces? It is hot for all of us.
It is also ridicules that we "normal" guests have to wait very long and that EVC and WC get access TWICE in the same time.We saw this more than once. Shouting ,screaming and complaining EVC and WC users just get FOTL access.

This is NOT equal access it is preferred access and we saw many many "magical healings ".
As soon as running into a restaurant or attractions was needed those that "need" to use an WC or EVC just jumped out and run into the attraction or restaurant.

Those of us, like me, fighting cancer, just shake there heads and in total disbelief and could only ask themselves why on earth Disney believes all them liars.

BTW. The "law "that special need people should be ASAP is totally BS. This would mean that public transportation could never function.

Ice Bear
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ice Bear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Sorry double post.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:37 pm

andfar wrote:We are staying at Saratoga Springs. I have already talked to her about renting an ECV, or a wheelchair. She is SO against it. She keeps telling me that she just needs breaks to sit down for 5 min, then she is ready to go again. I think I will have to rent something for her. It has been over 20 years since she and my dad have been to WDW. They didn't visit EPCOT before either. I don't think they exactly know what they are in for. Or, maybe it is me who doesn't know what I am in for. My dad hates people. :eek: Should be interesting. Here is hoping it isn't too busy in August 2011! ;)
Please ask her the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Ice Bear wrote:Sorry but that is not the official statement from Disney. WC and EVC have to wait just as "normal" guests at the buses. And why not? Why should those people get special treatment? No more special wait places for EVC and wheelchairs. Disney put and end to this unfair treatment.

Why should a family with small children wait hours to get back to their resort while EVC an WC users get FOLT acces? It is hot for all of us.
It is also ridicules that we "normal" guests have to wait very long and that EVC and WC get access TWICE in the same time.We saw this more than once. Shouting ,screaming and complaining EVC and WC users just get FOTL access.

This is NOT equal access it is preferred access and we saw many many "magical healings ".
As soon as running into a restaurant or attractions was needed those that "need" to use an WC or EVC just jumped out and run into the attraction or restaurant.

Those of us, like me, fighting cancer, just shake there heads and in total disbelief and could only ask themselves why on earth Disney believes all them liars.

BTW. The "law "that special need people should be ASAP is totally BS. This would mean that public transportation could never function.
There are a number of reasons that a wheelchair/ECV needs to get on first. The spaces for them are designated and if people get on first and fill those spaces, then, according to the law, people have to get up and possibly leave the bus to accommodate the chair or ECV. That is a federal ADA law and applies to Disney as much as any other place. Can you imagine the reaction of people that even might have gotten on first but sat in the wrong place and are the ones that now have to get off.

With the old buses that use a lift instead of a ramp to load a C or ECV there is a real safety hazard of the movement of the bus caused by people climbing on board and moving around inside. I will agree that some type of control has to happen concerning the number of people with these individuals, but that is a different story and not covered by ADA Laws.

As far as magical healings are concerned...well some people just use the system but if you attempt to single them out you could easily be proven wrong and that would be a real problem.

I have noted that ADA has finally started to make concessions concerning common sense things when dealing with the blanket, one size fits all, regulations that they established. I doubt you will see a change in the wheelchair regulations in the near future. They don't have to get on first, but they do have to get on even if it means that others have to get off to accommodate them. It is what it is!

I'm afraid that public transportation functions under those rules everyday. It isn't easy and it doesn't always seem fair, but it is the law and the buses continue to move to their destinations.

:goofy: :goofy:

Ice Bear
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ice Bear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:07 am

Goofyernmost wrote:There are a number of reasons that a wheelchair/ECV needs to get on first. The spaces for them are designated and if people get on first and fill those spaces, then, according to the law, people have to get up and possibly leave the bus to accommodate the chair or ECV. That is a federal ADA law and applies to Disney as much as any other place. Can you imagine the reaction of people that even might have gotten on first but sat in the wrong place and are the ones that now have to get off.

With the old buses that use a lift instead of a ramp to load a C or ECV there is a real safety hazard of the movement of the bus caused by people climbing on board and moving around inside. I will agree that some type of control has to happen concerning the number of people with these individuals, but that is a different story and not covered by ADA Laws.

As far as magical healings are concerned...well some people just use the system but if you attempt to single them out you could easily be proven wrong and that would be a real problem.

I have noted that ADA has finally started to make concessions concerning common sense things when dealing with the blanket, one size fits all, regulations that they established. I doubt you will see a change in the wheelchair regulations in the near future. They don't have to get on first, but they do have to get on even if it means that others have to get off to accommodate them. It is what it is!

I'm afraid that public transportation functions under those rules everyday. It isn't easy and it doesn't always seem fair, but it is the law and the buses continue to move to their destinations.
Again sorry to disappoint you but Disney started this new loading policy a few weeks ago.

I am Sam
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by I am Sam » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:21 am

Ice Bear wrote:Sorry but that is not the official statement from Disney. WC and EVC have to wait just as "normal" guests at the buses. And why not? Why should those people get special treatment? No more special wait places for EVC and wheelchairs. Disney put and end to this unfair treatment.

First off yes handicapped persons must be loaded first if in a wc or EVC because we can not drive our vechiles in to the bus w/o hitting anyone if the bus is full. The new policy is meant that if there is standing room only on the bus before the loading starts and a wheelchair needs to get on they have to wait for the next bus (that's what I was told 10-19-10 to 10-24-10). We (my husband and I) both have Spinal Cord Injuries and use a WC 24/7/365. One of the reasons they allow us to bring up to 5 family members with us is we could have five kids. Would you want your five kids waiting in line with strangers possibly having them left at the bus stop waiting by themselves? Had it happen 4 times with my sister(s) when a bus driver won't let them on with me and let me tell you I was scared (mostly of Mom :eek: as they were all under 12 at the time). We have a rule as a family one seat per chair let on. That means that should my husband and I get on early and 7 people get on the bus with our party, 2 of them sit (usually my pregnant sister-in-law, newborn nephew, and/or 67 year old Grandma) and 5 stand. And we were raised that children over 5 do not sit while adults stand. So often no one in our party sits on the bus because the child(ren) under 5 are on my lap, footrest, and my husband's lap. If we couldn't get on the bus first, we could not visit Disney again. Not because we deserve to be first but because we wouldn't be able to load the buses safely which everyone deserves.

I am Sam
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by I am Sam » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:45 am

One thing I forgot;
I hate lying fakers too. I was injured in a freak lawn mower accident at the age of 6 and have had to use a wheelchair for 20+ years. My husband was in a diving accident at 15 and is also confined to a wheelchair. Often as a child and now with my nieces, nephews, and sisters going to the FOTL was the only positive thing about my disability. My mom used to say that was my "prize" for the amount of physical pain I went threw because of my disability. And it was my siblings for my mom missing their milestones (such as Pioneer Day at school etc) because I got sick and was hospitalized. She also reminded us that it was a privilege not a right. Rude, nasty, pouty children do not get to go to the FOTL. Unfortunately those fakers ruin it for every kid out there who has a true disability and their families.

Ice Bear
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ice Bear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:48 am

I am Sam wrote:First off yes handicapped persons must be loaded first if in a wc or EVC because we can not drive our vechiles in to the bus w/o hitting anyone if the bus is full. The new policy is meant that if there is standing room only on the bus before the loading starts and a wheelchair needs to get on they have to wait for the next bus (that's what I was told 10-19-10 to 10-24-10). We (my husband and I) both have Spinal Cord Injuries and use a WC 24/7/365. One of the reasons they allow us to bring up to 5 family members with us is we could have five kids. Would you want your five kids waiting in line with strangers possibly having them left at the bus stop waiting by themselves? Had it happen 4 times with my sister(s) when a bus driver won't let them on with me and let me tell you I was scared (mostly of Mom :eek: as they were all under 12 at the time). We have a rule as a family one seat per chair let on. That means that should my husband and I get on early and 7 people get on the bus with our party, 2 of them sit (usually my pregnant sister-in-law, newborn nephew, and/or 67 year old Grandma) and 5 stand. And we were raised that children over 5 do not sit while adults stand. So often no one in our party sits on the bus because the child(ren) under 5 are on my lap, footrest, and my husband's lap. If we couldn't get on the bus first, we could not visit Disney again. Not because we deserve to be first but because we wouldn't be able to load the buses safely which everyone deserves.
Read the comments on the XX site. WC and EVC have to wait in line like everybody else. Why on earth should you go first and all the users of that kind of vehicles behind you?

The waiting is difficult for all of us. We all have little children that are tired and cranky after a long day in the park. Why should they wait an hour longer because of this ridiculous law.

The ADA law was supposed to give equal access and not preferred access and that what it has become.
Obviously enough people complaint about this and Disney listened.
It is also no longer a must you have to give up your seat for a disabled person.
Thank that to those that let their teenagers sit and play theirs DS instead of standing.
The society became "its all about me, me, me and I only have rights and no obligations".

Unfortunately those fakers ruin it for every kid out there who has a true disability and their families.
I fully agree with this and the only thing that can stop this is a documented letter of proof that you are disabled. This works in Disney Paris perfectly. No proof,no GAC and you hardly see a EVC or wheelchair.

I am Sam
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by I am Sam » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:29 am

Ice bear;
I agree that in theory waiting in the normal queue is "equal access" however because Disney will not allow a wheelchair on the bus without it being tied down it is not equal access. The bus driver would have to stop loading open the ramp door, find a place to put the chair, tie down the chair, and restart basic loading all with a lot of people already on the bus in the way. Sounds more like a pain than a step forward. Now if my husband and I get to a queue and there is a line so long that it is obvious that not everyone is going to make it on we have always opted to wait for the next bus. Even more so when we have no kids with us. We also have let a young kid in a wc who showed up after us get on first. I have held sleeping children not in my party to make up for the fact I am eating up three "regular" seats. I was raised not to demand anything above my basic needs and safe bus travel is a need not a want. Luckily I haven't been confronted with this new bus policy (as of 10-24-10) and bus drivers were still "making" people move off the handicap benches. It may be one of those official rules only a handful of people follow like putting on the seat belt for the wc seats. Everyone is suppose to but only a few do.