Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Mousewitcz

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Mousewitcz

Post by Zazu » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:08 pm

felinefan wrote:Zazu, you're the train enthusiast]Why, yes, as a matter of fact I do!

The locomotive used in the film is Great Western Railway #5972 "Olton Hall, a 4-6-0 -- the same wheel arrangement as the #1 "Walter E. Disney" and #3 "Roger Broggie" on the WDW RR. That, however, is about the end of the similarities.

Clearly, there are substantial cosmetic differences. More imporant is the size of the locomotives. The English loco is a 1937 superheated standard gauge unit built for high speed passenger service, and had drivers six feet in diameter. The two WDW locos are 1925 saturated steam narrow gauge units built for relatively low speed freight service, and have drivers only 44" in diameter.

It's like comparing a Mercedes sports car to a Chevy station wagon. They're only similar to a limited extent. Of course, for those who don't know locomotives, the similarities are what they focus on.
I don't know if people ask if your trains are Thomas/Polar Express/Hogwarts Express, but if they do, what do you tell them?
I got a lot of kids asking if Thomas was running, and I tell them that Thomas isn't here, but Walter and Roger are (or whomever is up that day). This seems to go over well.

Never got a Hogwarts question, but I did overhear another conductor being asked about the Polar Express. They were told the tender couldn't hold enough hot chocolate to get that far north.

More common was the SG who asked if it was the right train for Brooklyn (or occasionally Hoboken, never anywhere else). My reply was always, "Yes it is. At Main Street Station, transfer to the Express Monorail. From the TTC, take a taxi to the Kissimmee Amtrak station, then Amtrak Silver Service to New York's Penn Station. The Long Island RR will take you the rest of the way." They always seemed shocked that I gave them a serious and complete answer.

Zazu