Absolutely Furious!!!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Absolutely Furious!!!

Post by lady ulrike » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Well if we're gonna talk Star Trek, I happen to know someone very well versed in it. She wrote The Star Trek Concordance (or maybe co-wrote, not entirely sure, but if it's co-wrote, I probably know the other author(s) too)

What's funny is I've known her for years and had no idea, I was looking something up, saw her name, there was a link and turns out she has a wikipedia page and everything. She was apparently one of the major people behind the movement to keep the original Star Trek on for more seasons, and if I understand correctly, they succeeded in keeping it on for an extra season, although, I could be wrong on that.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:50 pm

lady ulrike wrote:Well if we're gonna talk Star Trek, I happen to know someone very well versed in it. She wrote The Star Trek Concordance (or maybe co-wrote, not entirely sure, but if it's co-wrote, I probably know the other author(s) too)

What's funny is I've known her for years and had no idea, I was looking something up, saw her name, there was a link and turns out she has a wikipedia page and everything. She was apparently one of the major people behind the movement to keep the original Star Trek on for more seasons, and if I understand correctly, they succeeded in keeping it on for an extra season, although, I could be wrong on that.
They did. Bjo talked about it in detail in her other book, "On the Good Ship Enterprise." She and John were also among the earliest members of the SCA, and are currently Baron and Baroness of Angels.

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:44 am

CBeilby wrote:They did. Bjo talked about it in detail in her other book, "On the Good Ship Enterprise." She and John were also among the earliest members of the SCA, and are currently Baron and Baroness of Angels.
And that's where I know them from. I've been to their place for sewing sessions and stuff, and I like I said, known them for years and they're pretty 'famous' in the SCA as well but I camp with a group that as a lot of those types so I don't really get 'starstruck' or anything. In fact, my dad's knight was one of the first princes of Caid (you know, back before it was even a kingdom) and his wife was the 2nd (I think) Queen of the society. So Bjo and John are up there with them in SCA fame and they're just one of the people I know and when I discovered her wikipedia page and such well it was kind of exciting learning all of that, but she's still just Bjo. In fact, I think this is the first time I've ever name dropped her. :)

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:50 am

I remember Bjo Trimble's name from back when I became an uber-fan in the 70's. Wow.

I love the show, but one of my buds from back in those days is still a huge "get-a-life" type of ST fan. And one of my fellow VMers is the same -- always wears a ST:TNG-style comm badge, has an LCARS interface on his laptop... I joked with him one time after a show that he wasn't wearing his communicator pin on his performance tux -- and he opened the jacket to show it pinned to the inside! Nice guys, both of them, just a little eccentric.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:51 am

February wrote:...and that's when you saw the bear, right Hobie?
He was a kodiak lookin' fella.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:27 pm

I used to have a copy of the Concordance. Unfortunately, I fell on hard times and was forced to sell it to a bookdealer. (Ebay didn't exist back then.) Also used to have a copy of the plans for the Enterprise, etc., plus a Star Trek puzzle book. The book of blueprints went with the Concordance. Don't recall what happened to the puzzle book, but I remember on the test they had that showed what you would be, mine came up Communication Officer.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:19 pm

You might like this site.

http://www.merzo.net/index.html

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.