Stupid drivers

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Stupid drivers

Post by felinefan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 pm

Speedfreak's story reminded me of an old Johnny Cash song: "One Piece At A Time". :p:

TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TdcOgre » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Zazu wrote:But my favorite wreck story involved my own 1980 Dodge Polara named "Betsy" (after Dan'l Boone's rifle).

Short story: I was making a right turn. Some moron in a BMW tried to pass me on the right as I did so!

Results: I could no longer get the right rear window to roll up and down; the Beamer was totaled.

I call that a win!
From
Back to the Future
Marty:Let's land on him, we'll cripple his car.

Doc: Marty, he's in a '46 Ford, we're in a DeLorean. He'd rip through us like we were tin foil

:)

Just Me
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Just Me » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Sometimes it’s not the accident, it’s the afterstory that’s worth telling…

The intersection near where I live has an east-west major street that dips down into a valley after about 100 feet. At the base of the valley is a north-south intersection with a light. That’s all the setup the story needs…

It’s going-home time and the traffic is moderate-heavy as I head east across the intersection. Traffic is picking up speed and then we get to where the street starts to head into the valley and sure enough, the light’s red for us at the intersection and traffic’s backed up pretty far. Far enough that I have to jam the brakes. That trick worked for me, for the car behind me, not quite as well. She pushed me into the car in front of me.

So I’m out and do a quick & easy license & insurance swap with the lady in front of me. The lady behind me? She’s a bit nervous and talking about how all these people just jammed on their brakes and it’s not her fault (three of us involved, she’s the party in the rear and she pushed me…but it’s not her fault).

So we get to…
”May I see your license please?”
“I don’t have it with me…” (the gut tightens up).
“Can I see your insurance information?”
“My husband doesn’t let me keep it in the car. I can write down my name and address for you, OK?”
“Sure…sure thing” (“Why not?” he asks himself, “It’s been a while since I read any good fiction.”).

While she’s writing out her info, I’m taking down her license plate # figuring that’s the only real information I’ll walk away with. I take her piece of paper with a name, address and phone #, give her my information and off we go.

That evening I call the number and get the boyfriend (husband…guy she’s living with now…whatever). The good news is that I got the right name & phone #, the bad news is he starts making some judgement calls about what happened and how it’s not her fault and he doesn’t give out his information to anyone. BUT…we make an appointment for him to come to my place and we’ll talk about the damages.

He shows up, with her and another guy who’s about 6’6” and built to proportion. They take a look at my damages (wrinkled back bumper, front blinker cover broken) and state the following:

1) It’s not her fault because the woman in front of me stopped short, so I stopped short and caused the accident. Never mind the line of cars between me and the stop light.
2) I have to take up the issue of the front blinker cover with the woman in front of me because their car obviously couldn’t have caused that damage.
3) My rear bumper is only a little damaged and HIS front end is seriously bent an who is going to pay for that and it’s all a wash and garble/gobbledy-gook/not my problem.

Well, I decide I’m not going to engage, wish them all well and get them the hell off my property. I then go file a “uninsured motorist” claim with my insurance and, sure enough, they WERE uninsured. My insurance paid up and all was well, but here’s the punchline…

California DMV pulls the lady’s license for driving without insurance. She appeals and I get a notification from DMV as to when & where the appeal is going to be held. I MAKE SURE that I’m there for the hearing and the total population in the hearing room is two, me and the guy from DMV. She never showed. I think he tacked on an extra six months for dicking him around.

The sad ending to the story is that she was probably driving anyway, now without insurance OR license.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:32 pm

The sad part is,I know people who drive w/o a licence AND people who have a licence who DON'T know how to drive. :( (can you here me now bro?) :rolleyes:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:44 pm

We've got lots of unlicensed drivers here in Hawaii. It's usually the sovernity wingnuts that claim they're a subject of the Kingdom of Hawaii so they're not required to have a driver's license or license their cars. They also claim they don't have to pay income tax.

I got into a discussion with one. He was so proud that he didn't pay any taxes. I asked him if he knew who finally put Al Capone away. He didn't. I told him it was the IRS. I detected a fluttering around the gills. :twisted:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 am

BRWombat wrote:Just two beers? Riiiiiiight... :D:
Two each. Plus we *did* have to drive the truck later that evening, and wanted to blow a low number if stopped.

We were young, but not *that* stupid.

At least, not that day.

Zazu

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:55 am

hobie16 wrote:We've got lots of unlicensed drivers here in Hawaii. It's usually the sovernity wingnuts that claim they're a subject of the Kingdom of Hawaii so they're not required to have a driver's license or license their cars. They also claim they don't have to pay income tax.

I got into a discussion with one. He was so proud that he didn't pay any taxes. I asked him if he knew who finally put Al Capone away. He didn't. I told him it was the IRS. I detected a fluttering around the gills. :twisted:
Sounds like the Republic of Texas wingnuts, who claim Texas was never properly admitted to the union, therefore it is still a sovereign nation, therefore they can pick and choose which laws to ignore. Usually it's tax law and traffic laws, go figure.

As one judge wrote in a case involving tax protestors: "Some people believe with great fervor preposterous things that just happen to coincide with their self-interest." :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:09 am

Last night, I entered the cone of shame. I loved that Jeep...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:12 pm

ktulu wrote:Last night, I entered the cone of shame. I loved that Jeep...
What?! Hope You're OK! :eek:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:53 pm

BRWombat wrote:Sounds like the Republic of Texas wingnuts, who claim Texas was never properly admitted to the union, therefore it is still a sovereign nation, therefore they can pick and choose which laws to ignore. Usually it's tax law and traffic laws, go figure.

As one judge wrote in a case involving tax protestors: "Some people believe with great fervor preposterous things that just happen to coincide with their self-interest." :D:
Pretty much the same deal. A few years ago the Hawaiians and Texans did a flag exchange. No mention of any ambassadors between the two states of delusion.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.