Crashed monorail question

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Crashed monorail question

Post by darph nader » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:23 pm

BRWombat wrote:Oh, I spotted it right away. I was just off doing frightfully important lawyer things and read it only after others had already commented.
OH SURE. ;) Goofing off,when you should be here. You know, doing 'more' important stuff. :rolleyes:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Post by Monorail_Red » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Actually, the tracks at Disneyland are narrower. Capacity is lower and they require guests to remain sedated there, where here they can stand.
Like was said before, this is my favorite typo of all time. :D:
Big Wallaby wrote:Several differences.
5 car trains.
One OP cab.
Doors only on left of train.
A/C for pilots only.

etc, etc, etc.

The DL Monorail is more of an attraction where the WDW Monorails were scaled up for serious transportation.

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Monorail_Red wrote:Like was said before, this is my favorite typo of all time.
Yeah, I gotta say, that was a hilarious typo. :D:
And yes, I have to add that the new Disneyland monorails are indeed meant to look retro. Their designs are very similar to the original Disneyland monorails of 1959.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:54 am

BRWombat wrote:Oh, I spotted it right away. I was just off doing frightfully important lawyer things and read it only after others had already commented.
What could be more important than blasting your marsupial brother from another mother for an entertaining typo made when he was typing tired? Better not have been traffic court.
Disneyguy85 wrote:Yeah, I gotta say, that was a hilarious typo. :D:
And yes, I have to add that the new Disneyland monorails are indeed meant to look retro. Their designs are very similar to the original Disneyland monorails of 1959.
Bring back the pilot bubble! I want to sit in a bubble!

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Bring back the pilot bubble! I want to sit in a bubble!
Now you see, this is just the sort of thing that happens when you play hookey from history class!

The Mark I through Mark III monorails did indeed have a top bubble, but it was not the pilot's position, but guest seating. The pilot sat just forward of the bubble on a raised platform behind the guests in the nose seating.

So while I'm all for retro design, a top bubble will not get the pilots a better view ... more's the pity.

Next time, check with me on this stuff. I'm old :old: and I know stuff! :lecture:

Zazu

Bright Scouter
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Bright Scouter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

I can attest to the old part, no wait, that's me. Who are you and what am I doing here?

I think I hate getting old, but I don't remember.

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Monorail_Red » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:31 am

Big Wallaby wrote:Bring back the pilot bubble! I want to sit in a bubble!
I dunno BW, do you think the bubbles will clear the storm doors at the Contemporary?? :eek:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:01 pm

Zazu wrote:Now you see, this is just the sort of thing that happens when you play hookey from history class!

The Mark I through Mark III monorails did indeed have a top bubble, but it was not the pilot's position, but guest seating. The pilot sat just forward of the bubble on a raised platform behind the guests in the nose seating.

So while I'm all for retro design, a top bubble will not get the pilots a better view ... more's the pity.

Next time, check with me on this stuff. I'm old :old: and I know stuff! :lecture:
Good to know. I think I actually like that better. Of course, it would completely mess up our view in the top mirror...
Monorail_Red wrote:I dunno BW, do you think the bubbles will clear the storm doors at the Contemporary?? :eek:
They would after the first time!

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Monorail_Red » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Good to know. I think I actually like that better. Of course, it would completely mess up our view in the top mirror...
I've always wondered why you guys look into the top strobe area a lot...so that is like a rear view mirror?
Big Wallaby wrote:They would after the first time!
Without a doubt! But the question is, what would win? The plexiglass bubble, or the metal storm doors? :eek:

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Monorail_Red wrote:I've always wondered why you guys look into the top strobe area a lot...so that is like a rear view mirror?

Without a doubt! But the question is, what would win? The plexiglass bubble, or the metal storm doors? :eek:
They wouldn't work after the first time, would take a second time if you are planning on getting the train out the other end. Might burn through 4 trains though to make this a reality.

Kurt