handicapped passes

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:02 pm

Roger Rabbit wrote:I can spot the fakers a mile away! Trust me on that!
Oh yes that I know you can do. (I think you even pointed a few out during my training to me) It's those fakers that clog up our wheelchair number. Thank goodness for creep mode at the Mansion and Pooh's line being 100% wheelchair accessable.

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:36 am

Yes, Small World has a boat (sometimes two) that a wheelchair can go right on. It's pretty much the same as at Pooh, our rented ECV's dont' fit on it, but some personal electric ones do fit. If it fits, you can go on, if not, you can't. You can have like 10 people on our boat, including the wheelchair guest.

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:13 pm

We have two as well at Pooh (Winnie and Woozle) but we only ever opperate one (it has been Winnie) and Woozle is kind of in pieces by the CC break room.

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:57 pm

My son has a laundry list of problems that require him to wear braces. Even with braces he requires a wheelchair to get around for substained periods like going to Disneyland.

The first time we took him we had no idea that passes were available for special needs kids. Even without the pass the CMs at every ride that had alternate access for wheelchairs always pointed us in the right direction so we could get him on and off with no problems. We've been back a number of times and have always had the same positive experience.

Thanks guys, you are the best!! :D

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:28 am

1team1dream wrote:there are exceptions such as myself. I have a brain tumor and after surgery I had to relearn to stand, walk, write, etc. while I can climb stairs and walk certain distances I can't really stand for more than 10 minutes at a time. I am currently on a MLOA because my department cannot accomodate my restrictions. :?
Am curious so will throw this out for answers. How long is a CM allowed to be on MLOA after surgery, injury not Disney related, & injury which was sustained while working @ DLR? Someplace I read a CM could not be on MLOA longer than one day less than a year. If this is true - what happens if the healing process is more than a yr? Is the CM termed even if injury/illness was not their fault? Last sentence sounds odd. :oops: Realize an illness is no one's fault.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Wendy Peffercorn
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Wendy Peffercorn » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:15 am

Instead of telling a party with 2 ECVs to "go right on out" of the ER at mansion, I accidentally told them to "zoom on out." :shock: I felt so bad, it just kind of slipped out!

kimpossible33
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by kimpossible33 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:02 pm

^Doesn't seem like such a big deal to me... . The guest in the ECV probably says stuff like that all the time.

Um... whose baby is this? :stork:

screnwriter
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: handicapped passes

Post by screnwriter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:00 pm

I have a good little friend, Jonah, whom I met when I was a cast member. Jonah had to have both legs amputated above the knee when he was newborn. He had quite a few problems from birth, but he's a happy friendly, outgoing and SMART guy, and at age 7, has outlived his original projected life by a mile.

Last time he and his family came out for a visit, Jonah's mom and I went to city hall for a pass. Here we're carrying a kid with TWO artificial legs, and other very obvious and visible differences, and the GR girl was being difficult about the pass. Asking us, "how long can he walk?" telling us that all rides accomodate wheelchairs, telling Jonah's MOM that it's a good idea for him to learn to "wait" sometimes. Jeez. Here's a kid with so many things he can't do, but who CAN appreciate Disneyland. Who's had to miss out on fun because an artificial leg broke, who's had to wait at home due to headaches, complications of his conditions - HE HAS TO LEARN TO WAIT?

We basically pushed the issue, got the pass and went on. I agree, and I'm glad, that CM's are supposed to challenge able-bodied people about passes, but with Jonah - you know the pass is deserved and needed.