Hot Grease

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Hot Grease

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:05 am

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:^^You got that right, Grumpy, tax the vehicles, tax the tax, and tax the tax on the tax!
On the other hand...

"Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for."
- Will Rogers

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 am

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:^^You got that right, Grumpy, tax the vehicles, tax the tax, and tax the tax on the tax!
True, but STILL not as bad as Tax-a-chusetts (Massachusetts)
I was helping DW with her mothers estate...jeez they DO tax the tax back there!!!

hobie16 wrote:On the other hand...

"Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for."
- Will Rogers
But we STILL have the best one money can buy!!!

hehehehehehee

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

SkipperGordon
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SkipperGordon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:11 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:DO expand! :D:

OK keep in mind that I was not present for this incident and I have been unable to verify whether it is true or merely one of many Jaws legends. But it sure makes one hell of an explanation for a sometimes annoying policy.

On the JAWS ride, all RVs come equipped with a "grenade launcher" that the Skipper suddenly "discovers" is loaded when the shark attacks the boat. The grenade launchers are basically big heavy toys that we pretend to shoot so that the recoil matches a series of mortars going off in the water. If your timing is good quite a few guests can be fooled into thinking that a combination of hydraulics and theatre is in fact a skipper operating a working projectile weapon. We perpetuate this myth by telling guests when they ask that they can not hold the grenade launchers because it would be "too dangerous."

One fine summer day a duck swam over one of the aforementioned mortars just as it was going off. Needless to say, the fine mist of water that usually sprays guests at this point contained more than its fair share of blood and feathers. Apparently the skipper also had very good timing because aside from being horrified at being covered in duck carcass, some guests were particularly livid at the "cruelty to animals" that was on display at the Jaws ride. They thought the skipper had done it on purpose and were going to report Universal to the SPCA! They were eventually calmed down (and comped all sorts of goodies, I'm sure); but from hence forth we drop out for ducks on the ride track and E-Stop when they're anywhere near the mortars.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:22 pm

SkipperGordon wrote:OK keep in mind that I was not present for this incident and I have been unable to verify whether it is true or merely one of many Jaws legends. But it sure makes one hell of an explanation for a sometimes annoying policy.

On the JAWS ride, all RVs come equipped with a "grenade launcher" that the Skipper suddenly "discovers" is loaded when the shark attacks the boat. The grenade launchers are basically big heavy toys that we pretend to shoot so that the recoil matches a series of mortars going off in the water. If your timing is good quite a few guests can be fooled into thinking that a combination of hydraulics and theatre is in fact a skipper operating a working projectile weapon. We perpetuate this myth by telling guests when they ask that they can not hold the grenade launchers because it would be "too dangerous."

One fine summer day a duck swam over one of the aforementioned mortars just as it was going off. Needless to say, the fine mist of water that usually sprays guests at this point contained more than its fair share of blood and feathers. Apparently the skipper also had very good timing because aside from being horrified at being covered in duck carcass, some guests were particularly livid at the "cruelty to animals" that was on display at the Jaws ride. They thought the skipper had done it on purpose and were going to report Universal to the SPCA! They were eventually calmed down (and comped all sorts of goodies, I'm sure); but from hence forth we drop out for ducks on the ride track and E-Stop when they're anywhere near the mortars.
Duck soup?

heheheheheh

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

SkipperGordon wrote:One fine summer day a duck swam over one of the aforementioned mortars just as it was going off. Needless to say, the fine mist of water that usually sprays guests at this point contained more than its fair share of blood and feathers. Apparently the skipper also had very good timing because aside from being horrified at being covered in duck carcass, some guests were particularly livid at the "cruelty to animals" that was on display at the Jaws ride. They thought the skipper had done it on purpose and were going to report Universal to the SPCA! They were eventually calmed down (and comped all sorts of goodies, I'm sure); but from hence forth we drop out for ducks on the ride track and E-Stop when they're anywhere near the mortars.
Here's another example of good/bad timing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnF5b57lNjE

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

KBFRideOperator
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by KBFRideOperator » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:12 pm

hobie16 wrote:The oil will congeal and eventually plug up the drain, sewer pipe and anything else it gets into. If it was done to a city/county sewage system someone would be paying a huge fine to stop any further occurrences and to clean out the pipes.
In Custodial, we call than an MLB, Main Line Backup. It happens in restrooms occasionally, but restaurants more often. They get all pissy at us when we come to clean it because we have to disinfect EVERYTHING and their store is closed for a couple of hours. Typical management response? "Then you shouldn't have told your employees it was OK to dump the grease and oil down the SINKS!"

It shuts them up, that's for sure.

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 am

These days if you have left over hot grease, at our local restaurants we have large canisters that we dump our oil into.

In my condo complex, if your cause a raw sewage spill to occur, you have to pay $500 cleaning fees, $$$$ for every one else's mess as well.

My neighbors dumped oil, beyond gross food down their garbage disposal and it came up on my friend's top condo and also in mine. My dad called the plumber that the association gave to us, and oh boy! The neightbor was a renter who was charged out the yee yang. She was kicked out by the owner and forced to pay the plumber and the clean up bill.

The elephants upstairs are renters and have done this too. Luckly the association president was walking the grounds and I flagged her in. She saw what was going on and did the same thing again. The elephants were busted for illegal dumping and now have a record. One more dumb move in which I am hopping will remove her and her live in geezer bf.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:14 am

I am suprised that the cooks havn't got in contact with the bio-diesel people. a lot of them have "refineries" in their garage and collect used cooking oil to convert.

I watched a news story about a guy that had a set up in his garage. it was actually a simple process, and it seemed the longest time was spent filtering it.