Not allowed in park for free.

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Not allowed in park for free.

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:39 am

First, the article http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ ... ed_ma.html.

This is definitely an SG in action, don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for the guy, but to expect that he would be allowed into a theme park for free because of his injury when the park has set no expectation of this is definitely stupid. "But he wouldn't ride any rides!" The ticket price is used to cover more than just rides; see the cleanly swept walkways and the way the park looks? Yup, that costs money which comes from ticket sales. "But he will only be there for an hour or two!" First, the park has no way to verify this; if they allowed people in for free because they said they were only going to stay for an hour or two than everyone would say that and stay all day because the park has no way to verify this claim. Second, even if he was really only going to be there for an hour or two, he is still enjoying the things the ticket price covers anyway such as the clean walkways. It is nice that the park has a Memorial Day promotion for one free ticket with the purchase of a ticket for service members, but only on Memorial Day, this was not Memorial Day so there was no expectation of free entrance.

Of course, than there is the line, "We weren't looking for a free trip," yet this is exactly what they were doing, looking for free entrance to the park.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Not allowed in park for free.

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Some of the comments make a good point.

I back our service men and women 100%, but in all the years I have served my country, I don't recall seeing anything that said I would get free admission to a park, or any other venue.

kind of sad that they expected free admission.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Yes, I agree with what has been said here.

I feel sorry for him, but they should not have expected free admission. They had no reason to.

A great deal of those article comments really disturb me.
Which is kind of why I really don't read many article comments anymore.

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Wow, that just is ridiculous.

I'm sorry for his condition, but honestly if you wanted to see each other so badly, why not a public park?

Those are free.

This is just another prime example of people exploiting the system. You know, theme parks are not obligated to let anyone in for free. It is just something they choose to do.

Such as at Knott's they have certain times where military and fire/police get in free. Hell, I believe last year it was most of November.

Anyhow, that whole "he's not going to ride" bit is BS. Maybe not his particular case, but I have seen quite a few folks that have wheelchairs become ambulatory just long enough to be seated on a ride. Or some rides even have :gasp: special accommodations for wheelchairs to be secured onto the ride itself.

So sorry, I don't buy it. :mad:

P.S. I also love the fact that the picture that's posted shows him in his uniform. I'm sure he didn't go to the theme park looking like that. Way to pull at the heart strings, newspaper guy!

Hahaha, the park is owned by Cedar Fair. I bet some investigating will show they probably do the exact things that Knott's does. Shame on you people.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Lasolimu wrote:First, the article http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ ... ed_ma.html.

This is definitely an SG in action, don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for the guy, but to expect that he would be allowed into a theme park for free because of his injury when the park has set no expectation of this is definitely stupid. "But he wouldn't ride any rides!" The ticket price is used to cover more than just rides; see the cleanly swept walkways and the way the park looks? Yup, that costs money which comes from ticket sales. "But he will only be there for an hour or two!" First, the park has no way to verify this; if they allowed people in for free because they said they were only going to stay for an hour or two than everyone would say that and stay all day because the park has no way to verify this claim. Second, even if he was really only going to be there for an hour or two, he is still enjoying the things the ticket price covers anyway such as the clean walkways. It is nice that the park has a Memorial Day promotion for one free ticket with the purchase of a ticket for service members, but only on Memorial Day, this was not Memorial Day so there was no expectation of free entrance.

Of course, than there is the line, "We weren't looking for a free trip," yet this is exactly what they were doing, looking for free entrance to the park.
no rides? so he wants to just enjoy the entertainment for free? I am on Disney's side. would a movie theatre let you in free if you dont buy snacks or drinks? I dont think so.

Corey

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 pm

The only thing that I got, was in the 70's we could go to Disneyland in Uniform and get a massive discount on admission and ticket books.

After the first time, I just paid the difference and went in civilian clothing.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:02 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:The only thing that I got, was in the 70's we could go to Disneyland in Uniform and get a massive discount on admission and ticket books.

After the first time, I just paid the difference and went in civilian clothing.
they wont even let a Priest in for a discount. the girl at the booth said,
In God we trust, all others must pay cash.
so, if you are God, it's free, if you work for him, you pay.

Corey

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:10 pm

I agree with the park. Being injured while fighting for our country doesn't automatically earn one the right to free entry into any place that charges admission. Yes I'm sorry he's paralyzed and all but that still doesn't entitle him to special treatment. Doesn't matter if you go on any rides or not, everyone pays something to get into theme parks (with very few exceptions). I know of no theme park that will let the handicapped in for free.
drcorey wrote:I am on Disney's side.
This didn't happen at a Disney park. It happened at Michigan's Adventure.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

KidAtHeart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by KidAtHeart » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:35 pm

I fully agree with the park. In fact, I don't think the park should have offered even the two complimentary tickets they did after the fact.

SpeedFreak
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SpeedFreak » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:44 pm

His fiance is hot, I could make a joke in poor taste about rides here but I won't. But I will say that it's not right to expect to get into places for free. Even though he was in the military and got crippled. He can't go to a grocery store and get his groceries for free if he doesn't intend to eat any of them. Same basic thing with the park.

Stupidity is not a handicap, stand elsewhere.
Sarah Magdalene wrote:Needless to say, Mickey got pissed and had the bitch and her family expelled form the park.
Word to the wise: DON'T tick off the Boss.