Six Flags will not be down for Breakfast

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Six Flags will not be down for Breakfast

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:45 pm

My question is what will happen to everything? Will some other company buy it, repaint and slap new names on stuff?

Where's my HappyWorldLand?

Or Itchy and Scratchy Land?

I'm waiting to see if will become like those great Scooby Doo episodes with an abandoned "haunted" amusement park. I'd pay to go to that!!!

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:17 pm

LittleDollClaudia wrote:Where's my HappyWorldLand?
"Where the fun never stops at only 80 bucks a pop.!"

"Welcome to the land where the fun never stops, we have 6 thrill rides and 400 gift shops!"

Ah, good times. :D:

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:42 pm

I thought the owner of the Washington Redskins owned the one in Velencia.

I remember that there was a cast member who crossed the tracks and did not see a speeding coaster coming down the hill. Yup, 101.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Disney should get one and turn it into Villan-land!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:01 am

Wait... I don't think they're going out of business. This is a chapter 11 bankruptcy (restructuring), not a chapter 7 (liquidation). Kmart did the same thing years ago and they're still around. According to the news in my area (I'm local to Six Flags: Great Escape) park operations are continuing as normal.

8^S

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:38 am

I bought something at Kmart the other day and the clerk asked if I wanted to use my Sears card to pay for it. I asked if Sears had bought out Kmart and she said no, Kmart had bought out Sears. Huh? How did I miss that one?
And how could Kmart afford to buy Sears if they went through Chapter 11?

I don't understand all that business, but there's just something wrong about a failing company restructuring and being able to buy out another company, especially a big one like Sears.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 am

Sears was bought by KMart in 2005. The majority stockholder in both, little Eddie Lampert, basically merged the two into Sears Holding Inc. Eddie was believed to be the second coming to retail and Sears Holding stock was hovering at around $150.

His balloon started to deflate and the stock now sells in the mid $60 range.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TdcOgre » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:06 pm

Whazzup wrote:I bought something at Kmart the other day and the clerk asked if I wanted to use my Sears card to pay for it. I asked if Sears had bought out Kmart and she said no, Kmart had bought out Sears. Huh? How did I miss that one?

I don't understand all that business, but there's just something wrong about a failing company restructuring and being able to buy out another company, especially a big one like Sears.
hobie16 wrote:Sears was bought by KMart in 2005. The majority stockholder in both, little Eddie Lampert, basically merged the two into Sears Holding Inc. Eddie was believed to be the second coming to retail and Sears Holding stock was hovering at around $150.

His balloon started to deflate and the stock now sells in the mid $60 range.
The reason Kmart was able to buy out Sears is that it used it's Chapter 11 bankruptcy to get out of several expensive leases and contracts. This allowed it to sell excess properties and make a tidy profit. It used that money to buy Sears.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:01 pm

So, no more Sears Wish Books? We would get one every year right before Christmas. It was almost magical going through that and looking at all the stuff. I remember for a few years actor Vincent Price had a line of boxed chocolates that was sold through the Wish Book at Christmas; his portrait was so debonair-looking. I was hoping one year that I'd be able to get a box of his chocolates to see if they were any good, but then they stopped carrying them! Argh!

I remember Sears had a Farm and Ranch catalog, and I saw listings for fencing, horse supplies, even bees and beekeeping supplies. Actually, they had a whole slew of catalogs. (Sigh) Looking through those catalogs, turning the pages, looking at the measuring charts to find your clothing and shoe sizes, that was an event. Electronic catalogs aren't the same, even if they do save trees.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Whazzup wrote:I bought something at Kmart the other day and the clerk asked if I wanted to use my Sears card to pay for it. I asked if Sears had bought out Kmart and she said no, Kmart had bought out Sears. Huh? How did I miss that one?

I was shocked when I heard Sears got bought by Kmart a few years back. I wondered how could a bankrupt company afford to buy Sears? I could see Sears buying Kmart but not the other way around.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward