Official SGT ADD thread

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Official SGT ADD thread

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 pm

Lasolimu wrote:Here is a puzzle. How do you prevent people from getting on a computer in a classroom on a college campus you need to have running a program for several days so that the program is still running when you come back 2 days later? I hope I did enough, I put an Out of Order sign on it, hit the hard switch on the monitor, and unplugged the keyboard and mouse. I hope this is enough, and even if they call tech support no one will show up to check it for about a week. I hope this works.

Why dont you just set a screen saver that is password protected to your password? And set the screen saver to activate in 30 seconds.

Then start the program and wait for it to activate the screen saver.

Then put a sign on it saying that the computer is locked and running a program, do not use!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Lasolimu wrote:Here is a puzzle. How do you prevent people from getting on a computer in a classroom on a college campus you need to have running a program for several days so that the program is still running when you come back 2 days later? I hope I did enough, I put an Out of Order sign on it, hit the hard switch on the monitor, and unplugged the keyboard and mouse. I hope this is enough, and even if they call tech support no one will show up to check it for about a week. I hope this works.

You done everything I can think of that would stop most of the casual users and get them to go to another computer.

Now you need to make friends with someone in tech support so that they will be relieved when you say you'll take a look at it for them when you come back in.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:03 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Why dont you just set a screen saver that is password protected to your password? And set the screen saver to activate in 30 seconds.

Then start the program and wait for it to activate the screen saver.

Then put a sign on it saying that the computer is locked and running a program, do not use!
The problem with that is people shutting the computer down, that recently happened to someone else doing the same thing. You can also force a logoff when it is locked. All of this is why I need to go to such extreme measures.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 am

OK, it seems like that wasn't enough of a message to leave the computer alone, I got back to class and the computer was shut down. Someone put on their computer that passing depends on the program continuing to run so I am going to try that. Today is the last day of classes so it is the most important in getting the program from start to finish. This also means that it is less likely that it will be turned off because it will have to happen today or during a final. It should not happen during a final because they shouldn't be on the computer if they are in this room which is few classes, and those classes should know better than to mess with a computer doing something that matters to someone's grade. Overall, the professor is just going to have to accept that some of us may not get the program to finish running because of this problem.

So, the sign will now stress the importance of the program running and I will still unplug the mouse and keyboard and hit the hard switch on the monitor, if that doesn't do it, nothing will.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 am

Possibly one of the problems is that when they see the monitor off and the kybd/mouse unplugged, they thing the machine is not functional. Causing them to re-plug to componets and try to use, ignoring the signs?

You could also password protect at the bios level.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:53 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Possibly one of the problems is that when they see the monitor off and the kybd/mouse unplugged, they thing the machine is not functional. Causing them to re-plug to componets and try to use, ignoring the signs?

You could also password protect at the bios level.
I think my problem could have been the cleaning crews noticing that the computer was still on, not reading the note and turning it off. I also changed the settings in Windows so that just hitting the power button will do nothing. So I hope the cleaning crew doesn't know about holding the button to turn it off through hardware.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Lasolimu wrote:I think my problem could have been the cleaning crews noticing that the computer was still on, not reading the note and turning it off. I also changed the settings in Windows so that just hitting the power button will do nothing. So I hope the cleaning crew doesn't know about holding the button to turn it off through hardware.
This message constitutes an official offer to run your program on my home server. (Debain Lenny)

Kurt

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:27 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:This message constitutes an official offer to run your program on my home server. (Debain Lenny)
Unfortunately, my program had to be done through another program which is expensive and I have not found it for free. Otherwise I would just run it at home. Although I do appreciate the offer.

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:12 pm

ahem! Warning, this is a rant....

(bashing head against wall a few times)

The City has decided that layoffs need to happen.
I got a message (on Wednesday) from my supervisor stating that HR wanted to meet with my entire workgroup and it has to be this week. We have a large show moving in and we are basically a crew of 3 with one person being off on Wed. & Thurs. and me off on Fri. So I agree to come in on overtime for this meeting, and I tell this to my supervisor who passes it to HR. It's now after the time I was scheduled to leave for the day and I had to call them to see IF I am needed to come in tomorrow. (I live 40 minutes away, so I don't normally volunteer to head down here on my day off.) The HR rep says, "I don't know, let me check with (your supervisor) and get back to you. I try to explain that I need to know now. No Luck! I'm still here waiting for an answer. I will wait another 20 minutes which will give me 1 hour of overtime for the day and then show up tomorrow. If there is no meeting, I'm still charging the overtime.
It's bad enough that everyone is stressed out because we all know that the affected employees need to be notified this week of possible layoffs. Does HR have to add to the issues by not having a clue?

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Hour long line to get the bus pass and one clerk then two clerks. I am a fat lady setting on the ground. Lady behind me has shoved her entire stroller under the rope barrier dividing the line and is close to hitting people. Finally she hits me and did not see me. I tell her that there is no way she can miss a fat lady in front of her. Eventually we snake around and again on the other side she rams me.

For those of you who have seen me my rump when setting is very wide and yet she could not see the fat lady setting in front of her. She never once got it in her head that she could see me and was just pushing forward to get closer to the head of the line.

I am fat and broad but even a skinny person would be hard to miss. See you all in DLR tomorrow.

CM WARNING
I will be in DCA and maybe DL tomorrow so be warned that I will have my ECV and am known to run over things. First time away from home with it.

Techie you get a big hug and some calming chocolates.
Laurie ;)