Matterhorn and the Lagoon

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Grumpy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Matterhorn and the Lagoon

Post by Grumpy » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:27 pm

I have heard (unless I read it somewhere in another thread here) that if the Lagoon were to be drained; the Matterhorn would literally collapse. I accept the premise that the water in the Lagoon also supports the Matterhorn. If this argument is true; can someone PLEASE explain the physics to me?

How is the Lagoon water such an important basis for the support of the physical stature of the Matterhorn? Also, WHY?

I am not saying Stupidity should be illegal or anything!! But lets just remove the warning labels from hazardous items and let the problem solve itself.Author Unknown

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:37 pm

I've heard the same thing. From Disney CMs and from disneyphile APs. I don't know if its true or not. Any physics majors out there? Or at least engineers?

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:14 am

I'm an electrical engineering major so these things aren't really my expertise, but I do have a pretty good knowledge of physics. Any architects, civil engineers, or just anyone in the know is welcome to correct me.

The Lagoon alone can't possibly be holding up the Matterhorn. If it were, I want to see some physics and engineering diagrams and equations. A structure as big as the Matterhorn and made of the material that the Matterhorn is made of can not simply be floating on water. Dense objects sink in water. Simple as that.

The more plausible theory I've heard is that because of the water in the Sub Lagoon and the poor sealing of the Lagoon wall a huge pocket of water has formed underground several feet below the foundation of the Matterhorn and that if the Lagoon were drained a sinkhole would form, causing the Matterhorn to collapse into it. If this one were true I think that it wouldn't be able to take down the whole mountain, only a sizeable portion of it. The problem with this theory is that if it were true, then half of Tomorrowland should be affected, not just the Matterhorn.

Again, I could be wrong on this. I'm not an expert on these things.

[/nerdiness]

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Matterhorn and the Lagoon

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:23 am

[quote="Grumpy"]I have heard (unless I read it somewhere in another thread here) that if the Lagoon were to be drained]
I didn't hear that the Matterhorn will collaspse if the lagoon is drained, but it will sink, that is what I heard.

dannydp
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by dannydp » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:21 pm

DLRFantasmic!Dan wrote:
Grumpy wrote:I have heard (unless I read it somewhere in another thread here) that if the Lagoon were to be drained]
I didn't hear that the Matterhorn will collaspse if the lagoon is drained, but it will sink, that is what I heard.
Possibly they are talking about the lagoon holding the dirt/sand near the matthorn in place, if there wasn't water there the dirt may just fall over?

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:01 am

dannydp wrote:
DLRFantasmic!Dan wrote:
Grumpy wrote:I have heard (unless I read it somewhere in another thread here) that if the Lagoon were to be drained]
Possibly they are talking about the lagoon holding the dirt/sand near the matthorn in place, if there wasn't water there the dirt may just fall over?
it's my understanding that it would fall into the lagoon, however i've heard from relaible sources that the Matterhorn is sinking due to the leakage from the lagoon, however i see no evidence of it.

Gimme some soft serve!

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:19 am

SRT_GB wrote:The more plausible theory I've heard is that because of the water in the Sub Lagoon and the poor sealing of the Lagoon wall a huge pocket of water has formed underground several feet below the foundation of the Matterhorn and that if the Lagoon were drained a sinkhole would form, causing the Matterhorn to collapse into it. If this one were true I think that it wouldn't be able to take down the whole mountain, only a sizeable portion of it. The problem with this theory is that if it were true, then half of Tomorrowland should be affected, not just the Matterhorn.

Again, I could be wrong on this. I'm not an expert on these things.

[/nerdiness]
I believe that is the reason. Right there.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

nitro-junkie
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by nitro-junkie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:30 am

IF (and I mean BIG "if") the Matterhorn were sinking...it would have to be a microscopic amount per year. I'm talking less than millimeters, because by this point in the game if it were any more than that, there would be enormous problems. Structurally, with the track, etc.... I mean, if you think Big Thunder RR has problems...

This is not to say that a structure won't sink. Mandalay Bay had that problem for years. Not sure if they still do. But that's in a desert where it's easy to run into the ground water table. Pumps solve that kind of problem many times. Call before you dig.

As far as dense objects not being able to float. Well, that's not exactly true. A dense object that floats is called a "ship". It's all in how you build it. Heck, if I build a frying pan out of iron- and build it to the correct formula's/dimensions...I bet a week's pay it'll float. And I'll win! Yay me. :D (Megalomania turned off now).

"There goes one of God's own prototypes.
A high powered mutant never meant for mass production. Too weird to live, too beautiful to die!"-Hunter Thompson

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:20 pm

nitro-junkie wrote:As far as dense objects not being able to float. Well, that's not exactly true. A dense object that floats is called a "ship". It's all in how you build it. Heck, if I build a frying pan out of iron- and build it to the correct formula's/dimensions...I bet a week's pay it'll float. And I'll win! Yay me. :D (Megalomania turned off now).
Don't laugh. One of the ideas for building WDW's Mediterranean Resort in an area with sinkholes and upwelling springs is to make each building a giant pontoon that will float on the boggy ground!

Of course, given current Company policies, it would have to be operated as part of the Disney Cruise Line.... Image

Zazu

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:22 pm

that could work, it might be expenive to run attractions on boats, and imagine each boat would have to have a skipper of sorts, and with insurance and all.

Gimme some soft serve!