A Good Old Soapbox Rant

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: A Good Old Soapbox Rant

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:31 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Possibly only deal with kids. And if the CM gets busy, have them remove the lanyard until they can deal with the pin trading aspect later.
That's what the green lanyards are for. CMs wearing a green lanyard can only trade with children ages 3-12. There are a few places in my area where one is allowed to take off their lanyard or not wear it at all because of how busy those places tend to be. When I had my lanyard there were times I'd take it off and pocket it because I was staying very busy and just didn't have time to deal with trading.

Some people take pin trading way to seriously. It is supposed to be a fun hobby and that's it.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

EmptyCinema
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EmptyCinema » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:55 am

I trade pins, but I don't consider myself a pin trader. :) The pin traders drive me crazy, even as a guest. On more than one occasion, I've been speaking with a CM when a pin trader will step in and interrupt to see their lanyard. It makes me want to smack them in the back of their heads.

I trade for a few pins not because they're rare (they're not really) but because they have some meaning to me. For example, if I ever saw a 20k leagues under the sea pin, I would probably trade for it. Likewise, I am trying to assemble the monorail set (though why it has a burgundy monorail I will never understand... matching the pilot's pants?) because I am a huge monorail fan.

I also like how pin trading can open a conversation with a CM... I like to think that I do it the way it was intended... casual, fun, and without interfering with everyone's day. I never interrupt a CM to see their lanyard, and will generally just look at it from afar without even bothering them unless I see something I want.

The fact that someone would push a child for a pin is mind-boggling. Some people REALLY have no life and no self-respect.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:52 am

We got free pins with our last package to Disneyland. We gave them to Abby. I have two pins that I put on the lanyard, but they will never get traded. One is my pin from the Steam Train tour at WDW, and the other one is from the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society. In fact, I put those little locking backs on those.

Now, Abby did acquire a bunch of pins from a very sweet and nice woman, and she did trade one of her free Chip pins (a dupe) with a Cast Member. I liked watching Abby do it. Jill and I thought that the CM had better pins (at least what WE liked better), but Abby got what she liked the most. We've seen the huge books that people bring into the parks to trade. I think the term obsessive comes to mind. I won't bring up my own obsession, collecting the diecast Cars toys... :whistlng:

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 am

Hubby and I collect pins but we aren't really into trading. We buy pins to frame as sets. We wouldn't push a child out of our way, to us, they are guests in line before us. When we choose to trade, we don't put any pins on the lanyard that we really want to save, but we do stock it with rack pins and will trade with anyone who asks. Usually we don't initiate the trade unless we really would like. And just like a guest could say no, we would respect a cast member saying no.

DriverDan, I am sorry that you had to deal with that SG.

TalkingHands
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TalkingHands » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 am

Sorry that you have to deal with pin sharks. They ruin trading for everyone. Pin sharks are the reason I stopped attending pin events. I had some really nice pins that they wanted to trade for and only wanted to trade crap pins in exchange. Now I confine my trading to CMs and will give a special pin to a kid every so often.

:pooh: [font=Lucida Console]Lisbet[/font]

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:49 am

PapaMouse wrote:I will say this though. I would LOVE to have a Monorail pin or real monorail wings. (birthday is tomorrow *hint* LOL)
<smack> Papa Mouse for the idea of giving away a $7.50 pair of monorail wings that he can buy on EBAY for $300.00. </smack> :twisted:

no but searously...... Costuming watches us like a hawk and if we request to many wings in a certain amount of time then they can send us to the washer.....

The Doctor

Note from Big Wallaby - This guy snorts pixie dust! Ask me for details...

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:00 am

Below is an exerpt from the Official Cast Pin Trading guidelines..... Look at whats in the second string and whats in red.....
Doctor McKey wrote:
•A Cast Member should not refuseto trade a Disney pin with a Guest for another Disney pin as long as all tradable pin requirements are met.Pins on the lanyard should not be used for Guest Service recovery.

Merchandise Cast Members are required at all times to wear a lanyard with pins while in costume unless it poses a safety or operational concern. All other lines of business are strongly encouragedto wear lanyards unless they pose a safety or operational concern.

The Doctor
Hope this helps...

The doctor

Note from Big Wallaby - This guy snorts pixie dust! Ask me for details...

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:15 am

Doctor McKey wrote:Below is an exerpt from the Official Cast Pin Trading guidelines..... Look at whats in the second string and whats in red.....

Hope this helps...

The doctor
OK, so this rule seems to allow you to put away your lanyard if you can reasonably conclude that having it on might cause a safety issue for the guests, especially if you saw a particular guest shove a child the day before just to get to it....Some would say this person was acting entitled, but to REPORT YOU is really out there....I wonder if Syndrome has a diagnosis for that kind of behavior.

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:26 am

DisneyMom wrote:OK, so this rule seems to allow you to put away your lanyard if you can reasonably conclude that having it on might cause a safety issue for the guests, especially if you saw a particular guest shove a child the day before just to get to it....Some would say this person was acting entitled, but to REPORT YOU is really out there....I wonder if Syndrome has a diagnosis for that kind of behavior.
No, but Denis Leary has a song about what these people are ;)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:11 pm

Its too bad he couldn't call security, and have that "lady" remove for pushing the kid.

Maybe they should re-evaluate the whole pin trading thing. DW and I only buy the pins we want to either keep for ourselves, or give as souvineers.

And If I was talking with a CM and interuppted by one of these PIN HEADS, I would most likely tell them what the CM Cannot say!

hehehehehehe

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?