taking my family for the first time

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
jerlove
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

taking my family for the first time

Post by jerlove » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:22 pm

I am so glad I came across this site. I am learning what not to do so I can avoid the title "SG" lol. Perhaps just making this post may qualify me.....

Anyways I am taking the family on our first ever Disney Vacation at the end of Jan, I have 2 children one is 7 the other is 2 and we are staying at the ASsports resort. I think I am even more excited than the kids. So far my interactions with CM's thru the WDW travel company and the reservations phone lines have been fantastic. I am looking for some tips to make this the most memorable family vacation ever.

1)My son loves the mono-rail and I would love to get him up front. What is the best time of day to attempt this?

2)Pin trading? would most 7yr olds enjoy this?

3)Should I drive to the parks from the resort or are the buses the better way to go?

4)any other tips to make our trip fantastic?

Thanks in advance for all of your help

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: taking my family for the first time

Post by BRWombat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:59 pm

jerlove wrote:I am so glad I came across this site. I am learning what not to do so I can avoid the title "SG" lol. Perhaps just making this post may qualify me.....
Goodness no. (1) You are aware there are such things as SGs; (2) you don't want to be one; and (3) you are asking questions and trying to learn. You're light-years ahead of being a stupid guest!!

:welcome: to :sgt: from :wallaby: and :wombat: !!! :D: :D: :D:

(sorry I didn't answer any of your questions!)

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Disney has redone strollers so bring your own or rent one from offsite as they are miserable, the canopy is for baby sized kids and they are hard to drive.

If you have a car then driving is easiest. You can dump stuff you need in the trunk like spare clothes and maps then not have to carry stuff from your room and back. You leave when you want and come as you want.
This is a map the All-Star Resorts and the Disboards and passporter boards have a ton of info for trip planning as does http://www.allears.com which with Disboards have restaurnant menus, maps, and tips for seniors, allergies, toddlers, parents etc.

As you can see everything at each All-Star resort is in the main building including food, arcades, shops, services, and buses. If you are on the back end like at Center Court or Hoops you have to walk across the site to the front to board a bus.

January is slow time so you should not have a problem getting right onto the front of the monorail. Avoid morning rush and evening rushes and you will be fine.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/ASMapSports.pdf

Save your money and avoid pin trading. If you get free ones then trade them with CMs for ones your kids like and then put them in a shadow box display or scrapbook.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/childswap.htm
Single rider line is offered at Test Track, Mission:SPACE and Expedition Everest and is where they fill empty spots with single riders. If your older kid cannot ride those then that would be the fastest way to see those rides.
there is the baby swapping pass which over a dozen rides offer for parents. Dad stands in line and then when he done riding mom rides with one person. For some rides this would mean you could use a fast pass on Tower of Terror then your mate will present the baby swapping pass that you got from the CM. Your mate then rides and takes the 7 year old with them so that the 7 year old gets to ride twice.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/earlyentry.htm
You can use that to get in early and stay late at one park each day.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/rehab.htm
DUMBO DUMBO we are going to ride DUMBO 10 times a day. Then you get there and the kids are not happy campers because Dumbo is down for rehab.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/height.htm
This will show you what your kid cannot ride.

Lunch is usually cheaper than dinner so fill up then and after the wild rides. Try to do the special restaurants early in the day because when the rush is on then you could wait hour or not get into a very popular restaurant.

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 pm

jerlove wrote:I am so glad I came across this site. I am learning what not to do so I can avoid the title "SG" lol. Perhaps just making this post may qualify me.....

Anyways I am taking the family on our first ever Disney Vacation at the end of Jan, I have 2 children one is 7 the other is 2 and we are staying at the ASsports resort. I think I am even more excited than the kids. So far my interactions with CM's thru the WDW travel company and the reservations phone lines have been fantastic. I am looking for some tips to make this the most memorable family vacation ever.

1)My son loves the mono-rail and I would love to get him up front. What is the best time of day to attempt this?

2)Pin trading? would most 7yr olds enjoy this?

3)Should I drive to the parks from the resort or are the buses the better way to go?

4)any other tips to make our trip fantastic?

Thanks in advance for all of your help
I am happy to share my very limited experience with you ! Others will have even more info, in far greater detail i am sure. My experience is from taking my wife and 5 year old last January, and I am using it to enhance our trip in just two weeks !

1. Monorail Up Front- we managed this at a variety of times of day. In fact 6 times in a week ! It simply meant approaching the Cast Member on the platform, and asking ! Sometimes we were told it would not be possible, one time we had to wait behind another family for the next train. Usually there was no one waiting. This was always easiest on the express trains at the TTC. Just be patient, Friendly and Flexible, and you should have no trouble. I should mention that the only time we had someone waiting BEHIND us in line, we let them go ahead, as that was our 4th trip up front, and it was their first. We did not want to hog the great view ! Big Wallaby and others will likely be by soon to provide you even more detailed info, and correct any mistakes I may have conveyed.

2. Pin Trading - My 5 year old enjoyed it immensely. She even got into trading with another girl her age while waiting for the show to start at Fantasmic. A number of Cast Members with the green lanyards (children only ?) actually approached her and asked if she wanted to trade for any of their pins !

3. Drive VS Bus - we drove, if only for the extra flexibility. I think we would have been fine without the car. It did make exiting at the end of the night easier, being able to tuck her into her car seat where she immediately fell asleep, and could be carried up to bed without waking her. But The bus would have worked too.

4a. TALK to the Cast Members. Transportation people, attractions, merch, and character attendants all contributed to our incredible week. Especially if you are seeking out that "special" character for an autograph or photo. The attendants can give you tips on where to best get some quality time with your sons favorite ! All the Cast Members went over the top when it came to making the kids feel special. The more you and your family interact with them, the more magical his (and your) experience will be . For example, imagine how special a little boy or girl would feel when the cast member in the food court at the resort asks for thier autograph, turning the tables! The kids positively glowed ! And no matter how busy the place was, this cast member always had time for the kids, without slowing down her line. That simple gesture had some parents near tears. That is what the cast members are all about !

4b. Slow down and just soak it in. The detail. The magic. The sounds. Find a bench and chill. You are not going to see it all in one trip. not a chance. So relax and experience it through your sons eyes !

Now I am sure the experts can add greatly to my little list. At least it is a start! :)

delsdad

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:31 pm

jerlove,

Welcome to SGT.

I did go to Walt Disney World 8 years ago with my friend's. She brought her 2 older daughters. We had allot of fun.

Pin trading is something fun for a youngster. I believe the light blue pin lanyards are for kid pin trading.

We did take the Disney Express from the airport to the resort. If you do have a rental car which we learned back last September, it was good to escape the long bus lines.

But, with the buses that pick you up from the resorts can be fun.

:)

jerlove
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by jerlove » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:53 pm

What a great community. In just over an hour I have more advice and tips then ever expected. Thank you all. Churchy you just gave me hours of reading with all of you links.

I will keep watching for tips and I will do my best to contribute to the board leading up to and after our trip.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Pin Trading is fun but can be expensive.....The Disney Store sometimes has multiple pin sets for about 15 bucks but you can buy pin sets in the parks for approx $4 a pin then trade with CMs for your favorite characters. I liked a story I read about a little boy who just liked trading and didn't really care what he got, because he got to trade it again and meet nice CMs. Wisely, the parents didn't interfere with his choices and he didn't need to spend more money than his origional investment. :)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

jerlove
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by jerlove » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:48 am

That describes my son exactly. He has his collection of hockey cards that he trades with his friends for no other reason than for trading. He could care less what card he has he just likes the act of trading.

I was able to find some pins on Ebay for very little $ so I am hoping it will keep him busy.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:12 am

Welcome! I call dibs on your kids' first monorail ride. I promise they will never forget it.

Just look for a marsupial having fun at TTC or Epcot. If you see someone you think is me, then say, "Marsupial Madness!" and I will respond with something witty.

I'll also PM you some info.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:11 am

jerlove wrote:That describes my son exactly. He has his collection of hockey cards that he trades with his friends for no other reason than for trading. He could care less what card he has he just likes the act of trading.

I was able to find some pins on Ebay for very little $ so I am hoping it will keep him busy.
http://www.pinpics.com is a great site. You eed to read the rules for pin trading such as the teal lanyard is kids only. You may only make two trades with a CM but with guests anything goes except selling and trading pins for corn dogs. No touching the CM or grabbing the lanyard ESPECIALLY sdult men who go boingy boingy on the lanyard or trading vest of a lady CM. The rules are for CMs and I as a trader have taken pins that CMs could not take like travel pins and rubber pins. Pins must be cloisone or metal and not rubber, wood or plastic. CMs will not take a pin if they have one on except sometimes travel pins or cute and sweet kids. Kids were and always will be the pin sharks and card sharks and are very shrewd at doing business.

Allears, passporter and disboards, YEAH, are well organized and one has been around for 10 years at least. The secret to a great trip is flexibility coupled with knowledge. Have alternate plans. You were going to do a ride but it is closed unexpectedly so when you get there you immediately adapt your schedule. The ride will be down for 15 minutes so you go get a snack or check out a play area. The ride will be down for an hour or more so you go to lunch early or see a show that starts in 10 minutes.

If you are going to do photo shoots and videos with your kids make sure you do it earlier in the day. "This is the Grabowski family trip to the Magic Kingdom" and there is a video of one kid crying tired and the other pouting. I grew up with a photographer father and kids get tired of parents having to take pictures of everything especially them. Do a nice video and pictures but do not get over whelmed as you are there to have fun.

Some fun links

http://www.towerofterror.org/

http://www.oitc.com/Disney/WDW/Property ... imals.html
There used to be more bunny rabbits until a certain former bus drive kicked on and more deer but you know how bus drivers are at WDW. (inside joke)

http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/

http://www.hauntedmansion.info/index.asp
That was the best site for Haunted Mansion stuff but do not go there as it was hacked severely and was filled with malware.

http://www.cassworld.ca/photosbathrooms.htm
A look at WDW potties.

http://capital2.capital.edu/admin-staff ... ercar.html
roller coaster physics

http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php
Go on a walk with this guy. He has some interesting photos so that you really can understand how to get around WDW but usually not where you will be at, lol.

HUNGRY BIRD WARNING
http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?opt ... mitstart=1
At SeaWorld in San Diego them birds will attack and steal fish and food from anyone and even park on a table and eat off your tray. WDW has seagulls, herons, finches and sparrows, etc. begging and even stealing. The shocking thing is to see a beautiful heron or egret begging for food. DO NOT FEED THEM OR ANY ANIMALS. The food is not good for them and they get used to eating off of humans and begging and annoying people. They then reward the humans with poop.