Disney Legal

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Disney Legal

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:56 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:
Sad thing is, they don't have to use Disney's Peter Pan... Pan has been around a lot longer than Disney has had any rights. They could use the name with no possible recourse if they used their own interpretation of the ORIGINAL character.
That was the stupid part. It looked very much like the Disney version. In fact, Disney told my brother that the Pizza Place could use the name Peter Pan, but my brother said, Well, you ought to come out and look at this character.

By the way, they're no longer in business!

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Nah, not corrected... further informed? I wouldn't mind if they did a few things... I think Disney could make a killing allowing companies to use their characters (for a fee), including training (for a fee), costumes (for a fee), show support (for a fee) and even booking (for a fee). But at the same time, I don't want to see Disney characters walking around all over the place, either. There would have to be some control that makes it that only so many characters would be available... I want to keep Disneyland and Disney World special.

Sad thing is, they don't have to use Disney's Peter Pan... Pan has been around a lot longer than Disney has had any rights. They could use the name with no possible recourse if they used their own interpretation of the ORIGINAL character.

A beautiful thing that Disney does in stories like that is to change the characters a bit, so that they are Disney's Cinderella, Disney's Pocahontas, Disney's Pinnochio (you probably wouldn't like the original too much), Disney's Little Mermaid, Disney's Peter Pan and so on. You can use many of the same characters without any infringement, because many of them are public domain in their other lives... but of course, how many people understand that?
Peter Pan is not public domain. all the rights are still owned by the london childrens hospital the creator gave them to.
Disney only is a license holder like all the others.

like this commerial thou.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZMN52T2ruw
Disney, Tinkerbell and the Peter Pan food company.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:02 pm

http://members.cox.net/skykingtv/peterpan.html

Henry Clay Derby's tripe and pig feet company evolved and eventually was sold to Swift the meat company. Peter Pan started in 1920 as part of the Derby foods of EK Pond company then in 1940 was split off into its own entity. Thus the peanut butter brand goes back to 1920 and predates the Walt Disney Company.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/ogees/iteml/8263#pic1
1940 was a woman in a dress and not even peter pan

http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com/show ... 1075480590

http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com/tabl ... OODS%25INC.
Lot of images

http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com/show ... 1074094880
Derby Food's chili con carne, did I mention that Derby was originally a tripe salesman?

http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com/show ... 1090519864
Do you remember ever dressing up to go to the grocery store, lol.

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:09 pm

There is a place in Corona that has Ariel and all her friends on a mural for the restaurant. It is just a little Hispanic family's place. Bet you can't guess what they sell there.

"Mmmm, I love eating Sebastian!"

Ick.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:03 pm

While I am aware that Beep-Beep the Roadrunner is not a Disney character (Warner Brothers), when I used to live in North Hollywood, there were a pick-your-part place with a kinda-sorta Beep-Beep as their logo, and then there was this little coffeeshop near the Whiteman Airport called Beeps, which also had a slightly altered version of the Roadrunner, who was depicted using a bicycle horn to make its "beep-beep" sound.

Speaking of using a version of a character--do you know that real roadrunners don't eat birdseed? They're actually carnivores, eating snakes, lizards, even catching low-flying birds (roadrunners don't fly well) and eating them. I think if the cartoons reflected the real nature of roadrunners and coyotes, it's more likely a roadrunner would be chowing down on a coyote rather than the other way around. Okay, a roadkilled coyote, but still....

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:43 pm

felinefan wrote:While I am aware that Beep-Beep the Roadrunner is not a Disney character (Warner Brothers), when I used to live in North Hollywood, there were a pick-your-part place with a kinda-sorta Beep-Beep as their logo, and then there was this little coffeeshop near the Whiteman Airport called Beeps, which also had a slightly altered version of the Roadrunner, who was depicted using a bicycle horn to make its "beep-beep" sound.

Speaking of using a version of a character--do you know that real roadrunners don't eat birdseed? They're actually carnivores, eating snakes, lizards, even catching low-flying birds (roadrunners don't fly well) and eating them. I think if the cartoons reflected the real nature of roadrunners and coyotes, it's more likely a roadrunner would be chowing down on a coyote rather than the other way around. Okay, a roadkilled coyote, but still....
Yeah, but the coyote is pretty Wiley!!!

hehehehhehehe

(and yeah, I used to root for the poor coyote!!!)

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

PapaMouse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PapaMouse » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:46 am

Anna wrote:Actually, Universal Studios let them use their characters. http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp
Just to let you know. don't trust Snopes. they are wrong on a lot of things. This is one of them.

I saw the day care and it was baby bugs and gang. :)

Help control A.D.D., Spank a kids ass.

Anna
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Anna » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:34 pm

PapaMouse wrote:Just to let you know. don't trust Snopes. they are wrong on a lot of things. This is one of them.

I suspect you saw a daycare that may have been sued by Disney but I can attest to the fact that the ones referred to in snopes did have characters from Universal Studios.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58 pm

PapaMouse wrote:Just to let you know. don't trust Snopes. they are wrong on a lot of things. This is one of them.

The thing about SNOPES is, if you have information on one of their articles, you can send it to them and they will re-evaluate, or correct the story if it checks out.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:55 am

Out in Anaheim is the Citywalk mall. They have a shrimp character out and waving at people. From a distance, the shrimp looks like a deformed roach. :eek: